SpinPro: Max Payne

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Congratulations to Spin Productions! The company that handled the digital effects work on Outlander followed up that project with Max Payne which opens in theaters this week pretty much globaly. A number of the same effects artists worked on both Films.

I'm curious to see it, partly because I've played the games. I don't know that it's a good film or not, but it looks like it might be neat. Early reviews are mixed favoring those that are familiar with the games.

Max Payne is a good example of why video game movies should do their own thing sometimes. Sometimes they were so close to the source material that it was awkward and slow. If you were a huge Max Payne fan, then it'd be cool how some scenes from the movie were exact copies of scenes from the game, but that kind of thing isn't necessary. I'm surprised it came in at #1 this week. I don't think the word of mouth on it will be so great. The first half needed way more shooting and less frustrated Max Payne fretting over his wife and kid.

I'll let everyone know what I think when I get a chance to see it. From what I hear, like chris, most people are finding the first hour too slow.

In the meantime, here's the Max Payne page from Spin's website: http://www.spinpro.com/pr_news/MaxPayne.html. There's a neat video of how some of the shots are put together. Similar techniques were used in Outlander.

Back