Speech Pack?

What Distro option should we put for 1.0

• Minimum Distro with Midi (84 MB) + Speech/Music Pack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hellcatv

Swabbie
Banned
I'd like to know about how many people want 1.0 divided into a speech and ogg music pack (80MB) and a main distro with midi(84 MB)

who wants 3 options
main distro with midi (84 MB)
music pack with ogg (35 MB)
speech pack (45 MB)

who wants
main distro with speech and midi music (129 MB)
and music pack (35 MB)

or who just wants the full 164 MB option so everyone has exactly the same experience

Ugh, there is a case for all of those.

I think everyone should have the speech, especially now that with the audio compression it doesn't add too much to the overall size.

I could see having 2 packages: base game (including sound and midi) and ogg, since not all users will need the ogg music. Then again, just giving everyone the ogg music would cut down on tech support as it seems to work rather more consistently (esp on linux).

So, I would lean towards base game with speech with a seperate ogg music pack for my personal tastes, but looking at how things have gone, the all inclusive would probably work better.

Either way I'd vote for speech coming with the main package by default.

Certainly not ideal (I voted to have only 2, or just 1), but it doesn't seem that bad. Users download the base game, if they want speech they get the speech pack. If the included midi music doesn't work, they get the ogg music pack. Hardly complicated.

Of course, many threads on the forum bear out your point ;)

I agree with gavetter Lars, have the full distro 164Mb, plus the distro in components for those who only have small DL limits or dialup modem access only.

I remember DL Secret Ops for 8 hours overnight, and having a broken sleep worry whether the connection broke and I'd have to start again.

I think that would be wise to have full (164mb) package and the seperate archives.

that way the ones who are willing to download teh full package will download the full package, the ones taht have less oportunities will go for the seperate downloads. So i guess both versions MUST BE!

P.S. btw what about the ejecting chair? never got the feedback, did you get it?

ChrisReid said:
Having more than two options gets confusing.

Not only that, but some of us are too stupid to understand anything but English.

I want whatever version will work on my computer without me having to do ANYTHING, kinda like the previous releases. So whatever they were, that's what I want. Sorry I can't tell you what that is.

Cyberion said:
P.S. btw what about the ejecting chair? never got the feedback, did you get it?
It looks pretty nice :) Certainly an improvement over the old ejection chair (which was never in the remake) and the box that passed for an ejection chair in the remake. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Is the ejecting chair in game now Mamiya---personally I haven't had time to do that model stuff cus I've been concentrating on getting the repair droid more visible to the user (i.e. what he's doing)

Another vote for Full and parts - think about all the WC fans in Europe who link up their used 386's with 14.4 Sportster modems...

Seriously - not everybody across the world has cable or DSL, and quite a lot of people still have volume contracts with their providers. So I'll opt for the dual solution, with slight bias towards the multi-component one.

hellcatv said:
Is the ejecting chair in game now Mamiya---personally I haven't had time to do that model stuff cus I've been concentrating on getting the repair droid more visible to the user (i.e. what he's doing)
I'll take care of that. Now that my computer has been resurrected, and the repository is back online I can actually do it lol

Do the ogg amd midi music sound the same? If the midi is what I heard in 009b and the ogg is what I'm hearing in the devel version, everyone should have the ogg.

JKeefe said:
Do the ogg amd midi music sound the same? If the midi is what I heard in 009b and the ogg is what I'm hearing in the devel version, everyone should have the ogg.
Of course midi sounds different from computer to computer. For someone with a really nice soundfont, it could sound just as good as the ogg. It's how the oggs were created after all ;)

Well, they may have had extra processing done to them.. Anyway, since midi doesn't sound as good for everyone, perhaps the oggs are where it's at. I'll keep using midi myself though hehe.

MamiyaOtaru said:
Of course midi sounds different from computer to computer. For someone with a really nice soundfont, it could sound just as good as the ogg. It's how the oggs were created after all ;)
Good point.

I know that on my Audigy 2 ZS, if I were to take the trouble to learn about Soundfonts, I could get my midis to sound however I wanted. But, it certainly would be nice to just have it sound that way "out of the box" ("out of the download queue"?). And that's what oggs give us, so I say use 'em.

yep... because the inclusion of a single high quality soundfont would be larger than the inclusion of the oggs themselves

Just being pedantic, but even OGGs won't sound exactly the same as the rendered MIDIs. :p My ears are becoming too audiophile-like. :(

Back