Speech Pack?

What Distro option should we put for 1.0

• Minimum Distro with Midi (84 MB) + Speech/Music Pack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The intro scenes and the in-flight comms from the CD version are in 'standard' VOC format. The on-base speech are in some obscure format. I thought that since the disk version did not have any of the on-base speech, it might have speech in the VOC format.

standard? we have no idea how to convert voc into wav...do you have any tips?

Wendy's tried every converter under the sun on a few of the sample barspeech files...

they're actually known as .vpk and they don't compress at all

hellcatv said:
we have no idea how to convert voc into wav...do you have any tips?
If I read him right, only in flight comms (and intro) are .voc, and we can already get those. Game Audio Player for example works quite well. I don;t think he knows how to get on base speech either, though I'd love to be wrong

I know the whacky speech format has the VPK extension, VOC is an old separate format, which I believe was initially used by Creative Labs. I'm sorry for the miscommunication.

Do I take it that the disk-based version also uses VPKs? Bummer.

Well, the disk based version doesn't have bar speech at all, even with the speech pack. It *might* have the plot related speech (though I kinda doubt it) but I know it doesn't have the bartender's spiels.

I was under the impression that the disk-based version only had speech in the introduction, similar to how WC2 only had speech in special cutscenes.

Wedge009 said:
I thought that since the disk version did not have any of the on-base speech, it might have speech in the VOC format.
Do I take it that the disk-based version also uses VPKs? Bummer.
I guess I'm a bit confused. You say in flight uses .voc, and that the disk version only has flight (no bar) then wonder if the disk version uses .vpk LOL

No bar speech = no vpk in the disk version. Just .voc, which we can already extract from the CD version.

And yeah, the disk version only has the intro speech, unless you get the speech pack which adds the other in-flight comms.

I think we're on the same page, just talking right past each other somehow lol

I blame hellcat for the confusion. :p

LOAF said that the disk-based version uses a different voice actor to the CD-based version, and then hellcat said some stuff about impossible-to-extract sound files. :)

Back