SpecOps serials

Well said. I can understand a poor attitude to something like EA, but Origin itself? I don't think that's rational.

Originally posted by TC

Um... what the hell? Origin backing standards has helped things like the creation of sound blaster as the standard for DOS gaming... The fact that Glide was used (as a seperate option, instead of Glide only as many games at the time were) at a time when it was rather superior to direct 3D isn't a bad thing. When technology had advanced, they implemented more features in Direct3D as you can see in SO. I'm not quite sure what you're refering to with the Intel mention above...

Well haven't Origin been one of the biggest fans of Intel?
Or was it just ugly rumour that Origin-guys optimized their
games specially for Intel's CPUs? Altough it doesn't matter
too much now, because AMD's cpus do have even more
power than Intel Pentiums...

Haven't played SO much, because the plan is to complete
original Prophecy first, so can't say about that.

Origin has actually been quite good with releasing patches out of kindness rather than necessity. Things like the WC4 Windows 95 patch... Why the hell do you think they should release a patch that gives you effects in D3D? There's already a workaround to give you everything but fog... I really don't see what you have against Origin, but they sure as hell haven't screwed anyone over with the Wing Commander series... (as opposed to some of the later Ultima games...)

Maybe is it just that I have had many hours of pain with Origin's
games, just to get them up and running right. Feels like if you don't
have just the hardware Origin wants, game doesn't work, or
lacks in features.

Originally posted by peltsi20
games specially for Intel's CPUs?
I don't see how that makes for a good argument, since non-Intel CPUs only came out round about the time of the first Pentium, didn't they?

aybe is it just that I have had many hours of pain with Origin's
games, just to get them up and running right. Feels like if you don't have just the hardware Origin wants, game doesn't work, or
lacks in features.
Would you rather that Origin made games which ran on today's hardware rather than tomorrow's? Maybe I'm just fortunate - I played the WCs long after the technology they were intended for were commonplace instead of state-of-the-art.

games specially for Intel's CPUs? Altough it doesn't matter
too much now, because AMD's cpus do have even more
power than Intel Pentiums...

Why is that suprising? Absolutely everyone optimized their games for Intel. Non-Intel CPUs weren't really mainstream until the 586, and didn't become very popular until the more recent AMD/Intel compitition. Everyone had them, so games were built to run on Intels. Even then, I doubt it makes a signifigant difference. It's not like those few games that were 'MMX Only' when MMX was the new spiffy intel toy.

Maybe is it just that I have had many hours of pain with Origin's
games, just to get them up and running right. Feels like if you don't
have just the hardware Origin wants, game doesn't work, or
lacks in features.

Um... I can only think of maybe two outstanding times where a piece of hardware will enhance your gameplay to any real degree... One being a Roland card for MIDI in WC1 (and even then it just sounds better. It's not like you can't hear sound without it.), the other being a Voodoo card for Prophecy and, to a lesser degree, SO. If you really want to count it, one other item would be the Creative DXr decoders for WC4 DVD, but in that case the only way the DVD was available was bundled with the hardware.

Back