Special Operations 1 bug

Kaunisto

Rear Admiral
In the conversation between Maverick (or whatever you called yourself) and Thrakhath in the beginning of the mission where he escapes there's a bug:
the image of the prince is sometimes replaced with Stingray or Maverick (going schizo?). Also the talk ends a bit strangely on "then I'll fight you"/"you're staying here", or something like that.

So I'm wondering, is there any existing fix to this? (I think the patch in CIC files didn't help.)
And am I missing anything? (I've been haunted by the phrasing in some old review saying this storyline take you "within punching-range with Thrakhath", wondering should there be something like the Angel-Jazz scene in WC2.)

Also I recall there are some graphic bugs in uniforms on end scene.

These glitches only happened to me when runnin on a then-fast machine(like a 486DX2 or faster), you'll also notice free-floating cockpits and take-off scenes without fighters in them. The problem is likely related to things being hardcoded into the engine and using not realtimeclock but scripting to time and trigger the events.

Try setting up dosbox to match a 386DX at 33 or 40 Mhz and allocate 4MB or ram, then it should run flawlessly

Oh I've played it with an actual 386SX (looong ago) and some of it still happened. But worth trying I'm sure.
"free-floating cockpits"? Can't remember seeing that one. Strange takeoffs and landings yes.

Thrakhath is often replaced with a random character and the bug doesn't necessarily need a fast machine for this to occur - it happened to me when I played it on my 386. Personally, I just put up with it. It's not a big deal, and quite amusing when Maverick talks to himself, though I've had Major Edmond replace the Kilrathi Prince before as well.

Back