Spanish Review Uses Artistic License with Box Art (January 4, 2019)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Here's a crazy Spanish article that LOAF recently found. It comes from the now-defunct magazine PC Manía. On the surface it looks fairly typical - like hundreds of other printed reviews of WC3 at the time. But boy is that box art weird looking! They've photoshopped it to change the look of the characters and even the ships. Maybe this was intended to Spanish-ize the cast? What an odd thing to do!

What the heck is going on with the Wing Commander III cover art in this Spanish magazine article?

--
Original update published on January 4, 2019

They look like the Wing Commander ships you'd draw from memory when you were like seven years old. I also like how the Perry naval base is in there and how Flint is squished, horizontally flipped Rachel.

I wonder if there might have been some sort of copyright issue. They might have, for one reason or another, been unable to get the appropriate permissions to reproduce the cover art, and ended up using a modified image to avoid any difficulties. Either that, or they just really liked doing unnecessary work. Crazy stuff.

That having been said, I must say - I've never noticed how weird the emotions of the original art were. Blair looks like he's trying to imitate Mona Lisa's enigmatic smile thing, and Thrakhath looks like he could well be asking us to play with him or something. That magazine drawing, for all of its weirdness, does at least manage to make Blair and Thrakhath look like they might be interested in killing one another.

Back