Spacecraft Jumps

ninja

Spaceman
Is it really possible to jump into or ther systems? Almost every scifi movie thats in space has something envolving Jumps?

Suggested methods of Interstellar travel, and how well they work with modern physics.

1.) Slower Than Light Ships (STL) - basically, keep going until you get there. Just don't mind the years long travel time to the nearest star system. This would work, although don't plan on a round trip.
2.) Hyperspace - There's actually two different forms of hyperspace, although both work similarly. The first one is the one seen in Star Wars. Basically, the ship jumps to an alternate dimension, usually referred to as Hyperspace, where it is somehow able to travel at a much faster rate than it can in the normal universe. Locations in hyperspace correspond to locations in the normal universe - thus traveling 'X' distance in one direction in hyperspace will always take you the same distance and direction in the normal universe. Is this possible? Ask again when we figure out how to travel through other dimensions.
3.) Teleporting - this is often referred to as Hyperspace, as well, although it works slightly differently. In this varient, a ship uses the Hyperspace dimension to basically shift its location from one point to another almost instantaneously. Battletech uses this method, as does Freespace (although the latter refers to it as Subspace, and only uses it for in-system movement). Once again, ask about this when we figure out how to travel to other dimensions.
4.) Wormholes - Sometimes referred to by other names. Basically, a tear in the fabric of space that allows a unit to travel from one specific point to another much more rapidly than it ordinarily would be able to do. Sometimes the travel takes an interval of time, and sometimes the travel is instantaneous. The wormhole in Deepspace 9 is an example of this, as is the Starfire setting. Wing Commander and Freespace use this form of movement to travel between different solar systems. Theoretically possible, although whether its practical or not depends on how common wormhole type objects are. In Star Trek, they appear to be fairly rare, while in Wing Commander, Freespace, and Starfire, most systems have at least a few.
5.) Real-space Faster Than Light (FTL) Drives - using this system, the ship is able to go faster than light while not using wormholes and jump. Star Trek uses this form of travel with its warp drives. Unfortunately, according to physics as we understand it, this form of travel is impossible. An object cannot travel at the speed of light, meaning that we must always remain at a slower speed. Note that this doesn't necessarily preclude objects from traveling faster than the speed of light so long as those objects never travel slower than the speed of light (such fast objects are known as Tachyons). Star Trek gets around this by claiming that the Warp engines 'warp' normal space, allowing the ship to cover more of it faster.

There are other variations, but most of them fit one of these categories.

I think that he is not talking about Wc jumps Meson,but real ones.
I dont know if its really possible....What I know is that this Thread is off-topic....:D :D .....I think...

Lalilulelo

Ah, that's different.

There are several FTL theories, none of which have been proven for anything larger than electron, if that. They did, hoverver, teleport photons around the globe. Research still continues, and some say they may have something in a decade or two.

Freespace's Subspace is used for any long distance travel. In a system, a jump point an be initiaes anywhere, to any known point. To get to one system from another there are specific subspace corridors as in the Wing Commander Universe.

Hence the bad mouthing and cries of "Rip-off!"

i read somewhere that the really really smart guy in the wheelchair (i can't remember his name, but he's paralized from the neck down or something) is working on the warp drive theory.

Originally posted by Meson
...They did, however, teleport photons around the globe. Research still continues, and some say they may have something in a decade or two.
What, like a FLY or something?....

Muhahahaha!...

The last photon teleportation effort teleported a laser beam and was performed at Sydney University I think ... one of the Australian ones.

Also, if you're getting your information from the general media (TV, newspapers), it's wrong.

It's not possible to telelport a fly the way most people think about teleportation (Star Trek). No matter "jumps" through space, that's not allowed. That would be transporting information and the fastest info can travel is the speed of light. Only a particle's quantum state can be telelported. Basically the quantum state of a particle is copied to another of the same type. In physics, we make no distinction between the 2 particles, since if 2 particles have the exact same quantum properties, we can't actually distinguish them. But that's not the end of it. Once the teleportation is performed the person on the other side doesn't know - that would be instantaneous transmission of info and that's not allowed, remember - so the person who did the teleportation must tell the person on the recieving end. Which doesn't really make teleportation all that useful if you have HUUUGE distances to cover.

Actaully junior, slower than light travel wouldn't really work either - assuming you at least move at relativistic speeds. By the time you got there, everyone would be dead. And if you didn't move that fast then you'd be dead too. Not my definition of 'works'.

Originally posted by steampunk

Actaully junior, slower than light travel wouldn't really work either - assuming you at least move at relativistic speeds. By the time you got there, everyone would be dead. And if you didn't move that fast then you'd be dead too. Not my definition of 'works'.

Accelerate yourself up to close to the speed of light (and we can't get anywhere near it right now), and the trip would only take a few years from your perspective. There's also the idea of cryogenic freezing as a possible way of allowing someone to live through the trip.
Note that I never said it was practical. I merely said it was possible. That's an awful lot better than any of the other methods I listed.

[OT/]
It's 2003, I just have one question o our scientists:
Where's my goddam FLYING CAR??!! [OT]

Originally posted by Ender
[OT/]

We are closer than ever.

Currently, the mayor of New York is driving around in a hydrogen powered car. He and the city recieved 5 Honda hydrogen powered cars just a couple of months ago, NASA also has a number of these hydrogen powered cars in their motorpool.

The current outlay is to have gas stations outfitted for providing the hydrogen and cars produced by the automakers with hydrogen power plants within 10 years.

Now this is not a flying type of car, but its a step in the right direction towards something like a flying car. I for one would rather have a flying car powered by hydrogen than some internal combustion, several hundred pound engine burning gas! :)

They are comming, just not as fast as we would like.

Originally posted by Ender
[OT/]

actually, the flying car was made back in either the 50's or 60's. the market wasn't big enough for it though and production never started.

Originally posted by Aries
actually, the flying car was made back in either the 50's or 60's. the market wasn't big enough for it though and production never started.

In WW2 ,the Germans had amazing things which never produced....

But these where baaaad Toys.....

Originally posted by steampunk
The last photon teleportation effort teleported a laser beam and was performed at Sydney University I think ... one of the Australian ones.

Also, if you're getting your information from the general media (TV, newspapers), it's wrong.
<snip>

If you thought we were serious....

Originally posted by junior
4.) Wormholes - Sometimes referred to by other names. Basically, a tear in the fabric of space that allows a unit to travel from one specific point to another much more rapidly than it ordinarily would be able to do. Sometimes the travel takes an interval of time, and sometimes the travel is instantaneous. The wormhole in Deepspace 9 is an example of this, as is the Starfire setting. Wing Commander and Freespace use this form of movement to travel between different solar systems. Theoretically possible, although whether its practical or not depends on how common wormhole type objects are. In Star Trek, they appear to be fairly rare, while in Wing Commander, Freespace, and Starfire, most systems have at least a few.

Unfortenatly a wormhole is unstable and in could be to small for a Terran ship to pass through and if it was large enough there is still the chance that the ship would be destroyed during transit. And about Hawkings making the jump drive or whatever how much progress has he made? And we need to get better physics.

Originally posted by Meson
If you thought we were serious....

Well, a lot of people do think that teleportation will someday become a viable form of transportation. And a lot of people do get all their scientific knowledge from TV.

As for Hawking making a jump drive. I don't think so. He has a theory on how a wormhole could be produced but it involves negative energy ...

Back