Space Sim First Look: Tarr Chronicles (July 15, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Here's one more story from Goliath - he's discovered yet another Privateer-styled space game being developed behind the former Iron Curtain. Tarr Chronicles: Sign of Ghosts is being developed by Akella and will be published in the United States by CDV Software. GameSpot has written a preview:
Like old-fashioned space sims, such as Freespace or TIE Fighter, Tarr Chronicles is all about climbing into a nimble space fighter and dogfighting it amongst the stars. At the same time, the game also promises a considerable amount of customization, along with some cutting-edge graphics.
Looks neat! A trailer is available at the Tarr Chronicles official site.

--
Original update published on July 15, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Although the Tarr Chronicles main website states that the game is meant for release "Q4 2006," Gamespot has a release date of Sep 10, 2007. Surprisingly, there still isn't a whole lot of information on this game yet... Hopefully there will be more info in the near future. Also, I'm wasn't able to download the trailer on their website for some reason. For those interested, you can download the trailer here:

http://files.filefront.com/Tarr+Chronicles+Trailer/;6462099;/fileinfo.html

Certainly seems to look pretty! I hope when/if we get a full WC game WC3/4/Prophecy style it will look as good as this.

guys, I've seen it in action (I'm a Russian involved in local game development), and IMHO it's a rather disappointing game, full of cliches and bad design decisions. graphics are OK, everything else isn't. don't expect too much from it, there's no soul.

Pitty, I was impressed with Spaces Wolves 1-2 and hoped something similar from other companies from eastern europe.

guys, I've seen it in action (I'm a Russian involved in local game development), and IMHO it's a rather disappointing game, full of cliches and bad design decisions. graphics are OK, everything else isn't. don't expect too much from it, there's no soul.

Figures. :/

Privateer and X-Com are a strange phenomena. People keep trying to make games like them, and they never get it quite right. Pity.

Maybe someone could try to blend them into a single game.

Alas, both games share a lot of ideas - you have to get money to pay the bills, etc. One nice feature for Priv would be some kind of maintenance expense and such.

As a game element, your expenses on Priv aren't much of an issue. On X-Com, it's a major problem.. I think it could be fun, for ex., to pay for a ship's lease, instead of fully owning it, and pay a crew's salary (even it's for just a gunner). Or maybe that's a bad idea, who knows.

I think Frontier (Elite II) tried this, but the game wasn't very good.

I still like Frontier and First Encounters much more than any of the bazillion later games that tried to mimic the same formula... they were different from Elite, but still highly enjoyable. For me, Privateer and the Elite games are the only true classics in the genre.

Frontier is fun allright, but wasn't a very solid gaming experience. I agree that the other attempts also failed on some level. Freelancer came close enought.

The sheer size of the original Elite is still incredible. The galaxy was enmormous, and there was the Inter-Galactic Hyperdrive.

Back