Space Sim First Look: Rebel Galaxy Outlaw (May 25, 2019)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
We mentioned last week that we'd be spending a little more time introducing up and coming space sims, and there's a very big one that's been a glaring omission until now. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is an extremely promising Privateer-style shooter sim by Double Damage Games, which includes huge Wing Commander fans Travis Baldree and Howard Day, among others. The team has been on our radar for a couple years thanks to their spectacular 2017 April Fools tease and easter egg blueprints, and now the game is approaching release. It will be available at the Epic Store for PC at around $30 with ports available on at least the Playstation 4 and Nintendo Switch. I could talk about stats and features, but you're probably better off just watching the videos below. The first two clips introduce the gameplay and story, and the third video is a lengthy stream with Travis that goes into lots of juicy detail. If you're looking for a modern take on Privateer, this is as close as it gets. The combat looks very satisfying, and there's some nice customization and storyline packed in too. More background is available in their FAQ.

Crank the volume, chamber another round, and burn like hell...

Double Damage Games is happy to announce Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, a blue-collar space combat adventure packed with outlaws, explosions, gleefully unrealistic spaceflight, and a hell of a soundtrack.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a sort-of-prequel to 2015’s Rebel Galaxy, this time dropping you right into the cockpit and doubling down on the roadhouse vibe of the previous game. It features high-octane space combat, over 20 hours of subspace radio, side activities like billiards and dice poker, plenty of sketchy characters to meet, and sketchier jobs to take on. Nobody’s saving the universe around here - they’d settle for saving a couple of credits.

Rebel Galaxy is an action-packed, swashbuckling space opera. You’ll battle pirates, explore anomalies, befriend aliens, scavenge battle wreckage, mine asteroids, and discover artifacts. Choose your path as a roguish do-gooder, crafty space-trader or power-hungry privateer - or maybe a little of each! Buy larger and more powerful craft with your hard-earned credits, and outfit them with a variety of wicked weaponry and defenses. Set in a galaxy of fantastic sights, and secrets to be found, Rebel Galaxy is above all a space epic of adventure, exploration, and combat.

--
Original update published on May 25, 2019

I'm looking forward to this more than anything else this year, I think. It's just too bad that early 2019 has came and gone, no release, and twitter has been silent.

From the trailers Rebel Galaxy looks like what I wanted StarCitizen to be / imagned what it would be back when I backed SC. Rebel Galaxy is also the first titles that makes me thing about the Epic launcher. So far not even Metro or any other title made me concider Epics launcher...job well done.
Also Howards style shines through a lot I think. When you compare his Wing Commander ships he posted to the style in the screenshoots it looks quite similar and I like it. Allways liked Howards WC ships and these seam to be similar good.

Now I will wait for the reviews.

Personally, I hope GOG Galaxy 2.0 allows me to install the epic launcher and then ignore it from then on. I agree with them to partner with epic for distribution. They would be stupid not too. They probably got a good influx of cash and the revenue split will be much more favorable to them. I'll just have to buy another copy on GOG later. I like to actually feel like I own my games instead of feeling like I have to pass a security checkpoint every time I want to fire up my game.

From the trailers Rebel Galaxy looks like what I wanted StarCitizen to be / imagned what it would be back when I backed SC.

I backed SC for the SP part, the Squadron 42, but once they started adding that FPS nonsense, I actually asked for a refund, but got rejected. I still kind of hope they'll release the SQ42 before the whole scheme collapses under the weight of Roberts megalomania.

With all that money, he could have bought the rights for WC and make a great WC-universe Privateer like MMO without all this FPS boarding and combat stuff. I'm totally not phased by the SC ship designs and the only thing I appreciate is the seemingly more complex options regarding controls and combat.

Thus, the Rebel Galaxy Outlaw looks super refreshing with its straightforward WC Privateer formula (I see they added the accelerated travel from Freelancer as well), just hope there's enough plot and content and characters to keep it interesting.

I'm not waiting for reviews, just for the prepurchase to finally start on Epic Games.

Though, I have no idea how far off the release they are, didn't see any updates since that April 23rd 3-hour gameplay video.

Back