space rogue

Mace

Vice Admiral
anyone ever played this game?

i just found it through a reference, a privateer styled game from origin in 1989.
the space flight actually uses vector based graphics. since it appeared to be
"abandonware" i downloaded the PC version(slow day at the office).

and it still runs on current systems under windows XP (my office pc(P4 2.8)
without any problems. when i get home i'll try the amiga version, from which
the screenshots looked(and probably also sounds) a lot better..

the flight dynamics are a bit hard with the keyboard too...

There's no such thing as "abandonware". It's a stupid term jerks made up so they wouldn't feel bad about stealing luxury items.

Bandit LOAF said:
There's no such thing as "abandonware". It's a stupid term jerks made up so they wouldn't feel bad about stealing luxury items.

Quite so...now when I play Privateer and I loot the cargo ships I try to console them by letting them know I'm just picking up their "abandonware."

just thinking, (the literary argument, i suppose (how abandonware is valid as a term))

what do you call software that isn't for sale,
and the IP owner (after aquiring whatever property-package from the inevitably today-defunct originating company, since it's been so many years) doesn't give a damn about XXXX game from 15 years ago, where it would cost them more to make a single copy for that one-person-now-and-then than income they make selling it?

honestly, things that are swept under the rug and forgotten are "abandoned". just because they have a legal owner doesn't mean that legal owner hasn't abandoned them.

if you throw a gameboy out your car window and drive off, it's still yours, but it sure as hell is abandoned. if i take it, i am definately taking something of yours without permission. *technically* it amounts to stealing. but really... it isn't, and no one (other than someone looking to pick a fight) would ever hold you to it.

abandoned and legally-still-owned are not mutually exclusive.

point being : "abandonware" is an entirely appropriate adjective/noun for the situation. ("made up" or not, it's a new term for a new situation. software hasn't been around forever.)

-scheherazade

Oddly enough, here in the real world a property having a legal owner doesn't mean that you can just take it if you want simply because it's not being actively marketed.

There are any number of games out there that the legal owners have made freely available to the general public, more than a few of them games that were previously commercial programs. "Abandonware" doesn't fall into that category, though.

Although, given that we don't discuss warez on this forum (see #11 of the forum rules), I'm left wondering why this is an issue in the first place.

"Oddly enough, here in the real world a property having a legal owner doesn't mean that you can just take it if you want simply because it's not being actively marketed."

i wholly agree that it isn't legal.
plz note that no one here said it was ok.
mace : 'i did it'
loaf : the term is stupid, describes a thing that doesn't exist
striker : jokes
me : imo the term is an appropriate adjective, abandoned+owned can exist.

i'm sure we all know it's illegal.
i don't want to lead to a "hey it's ok because no one cares" discussion.
(hence i want to be clear)

the OP should be fine (along with our posts) since the rule says :
11) Linking to, offering, requesting, or hinting at the whereabouts of warez, abandonwarez, copying games or other illegal content, can result in immediate banning.

and we have :
no links posted
no offers posted
no requests posted
no whereabouts posted
no copies posted
no illegal content posted

talking about wares != talking wares

so we're cool so far as rule 11.

-scheherazade

okay, okay, i understand these rules regarding "abandonware",
and it was not my intention to encourage downloading this still legally
copyrighted software.

I made this post because i never heard of this game before i ran into it,
and i wanted to know if anybody knew and had played this game.

scheherazade said:
talking about wares != talking wares

so we're cool so far as rule 11.

If you look at it closer, those are just the things that result in immediate banning. If someone's going to try to exploit a loophole in a rule, we'll warn them and then ban them.

Mace said:
I made this post because i never heard of this game before i ran into it,
and i wanted to know if anybody knew and had played this game.

Nope.

me : imo the term is an appropriate adjective, abandoned+owned can exist.

If all you actually care about is whether or not 'abandonware' is a word, I encourage you to check the OED.

If EA posts Space Rogue for download, it's not really abandoned.

The best term to describe old games is "software".

Space Rogue was a neat little game. The scariest thing was that it came out so close to Wing Commander... and it was part of a weird era in history where Origin used photographs of male models for their game box art instead of paintings or artwork.

SpaceRogue.jpg

There but for the grace of several months goes Wing Commander.

ChrisReid said:
If you look at it closer, those are just the things that result in immediate banning. If someone's going to try to exploit a loophole in a rule, we'll warn them and then ban them.

if it's really a loophole then sure. but honestly it's more like going to a religions course and "learning about religion", than going to church and "learning a religion".

the intent is entirely different. it seemed like mace was interested in the game. the fact that he warez'd it was an aside to his query.

the rule (as far as i assume) is in the spirit of not spreading warez. it's clear that wasn't mace's intent. but if it were someone's intent (regardless if they got around the literals of the rule) i'm sure you or someone else would enforce it.

laof <<
that pic makes me think of 'iron eagle'.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091278/posters
not like it's super similar, but my mind just jumped right to the iron eagle image. (cool guy, pilot, looking tough with his helmet in his hand, not actually dressed like a pilot.)

-scheherazade

Just saying that he got it off a warez site is enough to get the ball rolling. A lot of people have bought into the abandonware fabrication and newer members are likely to ask where they can get some free stuff if someone begins a thread with "So I illegally stole this videogame."

Generally, talking about software piracy on a forum is stupid. Especially if that forum publicly displays your logged IP address.

Back