Space Quest

Bigt028

Rear Admiral
placing this thread into "off topic", not sure who played this masterpiece of a game, but now i am looking to get it again....was talking to friends about older games and one of them spit out Space Quest...brought back some great memories, the entire series was great.
anyone know if this is avaialable anymore...thanks

ok...please disregard last message...as you can see, i dont get out much...however i do see that it is available...nice...thanks!

Space Quest was one of "the great adventures" back then. They don't make them anymore, like they used to. :(

Also available from GOG.com. I believe GOG offers the original EGA version of SQ1 but not the VGA remake, and vice versa from Steam. The CD-ROM version also only has the remake.

I have the compilation. It's good enough - there's patches for later versions of DOSbox so it runs even better.

All the versions you can get from GOG and Steam also use DOSbox.

Also available from GOG.com. I believe GOG offers the original EGA version of SQ1 but not the VGA remake, and vice versa from Steam. The CD-ROM version also only has the remake.

If by CD-ROM you mean the collection of 1-5 then actually it contains both.

Edit: not sure about the compilation of 1-6 off hand

Hehe, i remember biting huge chunks off my keyboard. I don't know what masochistic addiction of mine kept me playing Sierra adventures.

"Hehe, i remember biting huge chunks off my keyboard. I don't know what masochistic addiction of mine kept me playing Sierra adventures."

i think it was Sierra's unique way of creating incredible puzzles...you just had to figure it out....i spent many hours playing those games...just to advance to another chapter.

They re-released the compilations for most of their Quest series a few years ago and in each case omitted the original versions of the first game in favor of the remake (couldn't find room for a game that's barely 1 meg big?). Older compilations will have all of them. The amazon.com link says it has both, but the customer review says it doesn't (or they got a different version). I'm not sure if this version is newer or what. Anyway, anyone interested in buying should do a little research to make sure they know what they are getting. They always were great games. Police Quest 1 was my first.

If by CD-ROM you mean the collection of 1-5 then actually it contains both.

Edit: not sure about the compilation of 1-6 off hand

I used to have a floppy disk from Sierra that was a bunch of the Space Quest mini-games in one compilation... That's not on any of the anthologies either IIRC.. It had astrochicken, some SQ1-VGA speeder game, and that Burger making game from SQ4.

Actually I probably still have the disk somewhere but I'm pretty sure it's corrupted.

SQ1 on the CD-ROM collection is just the VGA remake, there's no original SQ1 in it. just SQ1VGA through SQ6. It's just the game running inside DOSbox.

Of course, there's a chance that the Sierra web site has posted the original SQ1 on it, but i haven't checked their site.

so i've done some searching around - apparently the vivendi edition released in 2006 (with 1-6 running in dosbox ports) does NOT include the original version of sq1 (although the patch that updates the dosbox will include it if you have a copy)

the older collection of 1-6 does include both!

meanwhile gog's copy includes the ega version and steams the vga but neither both. (that may be the other way round, check)

eitherway, the agi versions run in scummvm now (since freesci combined) and the vga versions dont, so it's possibly better to play the agi version! (or wait till the sq2 vga comes so you dont have to play in pretty, then ugly then pretty again ;)

so in short, sorry if i was misleading - we were talking about two different collections :D

this is odd, i posted a reply earlier, however i dont see it...
well thanks for the research...i was thinking of picking up the "collection" only because it had all 6 and the remake of one in vga...but i didnt know that the SQ2 is in cga and not vga...maybe waiting for the newer release is better...but darn it i want to play those games now!

Back