Sounds bite

Lt.Overload

Rear Admiral
Just wondering where did you guys come up with some of the sound effects? Did you make some and reuse others? Are all the sound effects from other game(s)?

Most sounds, probably 90% of the game, are from WCP/SO, completely unmodified. A lot of these are just used in different situations than in the original game.

In some more specific cases (like gun sounds, etc) they were taken from previous WC games, but most of these went through some manual editing/mixing.

I don't recall coming up with any 100% original sound effects, except obviously for the filters applied to radio chatter (static, the computerization effects, etc).

While you're at radio chatter, am I correct in the assumption that some of the Kilrathi radio messages were taken from Prophecy and some were done from scratch?

To be more specific, the "lower caste" is from Prophecy and the "higher caste" is new?

I'm only talking about taunts and death messages, i.e. everything you get to hear in Kilrathi Gauntlet.

While you're at radio chatter, am I correct in the assumption that some of the Kilrathi radio messages were taken from Prophecy and some were done from scratch?

To be more specific, the "lower caste" is from Prophecy and the "higher caste" is new?

I'm only talking about taunts and death messages, i.e. everything you get to hear in Kilrathi Gauntlet.

Some, if not most, were from Wing Commander 3.

Some of the "bleeps" are different. Where did you get those? (cycling through simulator ships, etc.)
We got a lot of the computer sounds from Privateer. The sound pirate fighters make when they flyby is also from Priv. It might not seem entirely appropriate (after all, those computer sounds in Priv were originally used by civilian ships, and here they are on military craft), but it adds a lot to the game - sure beats having the same WCP sounds.

There may be one or two other sounds we got from earlier titles as well. The only one I remember offhand is the missile lock sound - that one came from Armada. I've always felt that Armada had *the* best missile lock sound ever. Quality-wise, it's certainly inferior to the WCP sounds - but I like its character better.

Yes, some of the Kilrathi are old, some are new. Basically, there are three types of Kilrathi pilots in the game:
Ordinary pilots & aces (& Prince Thrakhath) - all of these were taken from WC3. We did not attempt to use WCP Kilrathi in there - although they sound similar to the WC3 Kilrathi, their taunts are very tame (mainly because they're designed to be appropriate both against the bugs and against humans).
Privateers - we originally planned to use the Priv Kilrathi for this, it was recycling at its finest. But the Priv Kilrathi sound different to the WC3 Kilrathi, and they sound different to the stuff we recorded, as well - so ultimately, in order to keep the number of different Kilrathi styles as low as possible, we ended up re-recording all the Kilrathi privateer lines with our own voice actor.
Drakhai pilots & aces - these are loosely based on the lines from WC2, though we had to write a lot more. We recorded all of these on our own, with two voice actors (one of whom also did the Kilrathi privateers), ignoring all the material recorded for WC2.

The sound pirate fighters make when they flyby is also from Priv.
I get the feeling those were a little bit inspired by the TIE-Fighters from Star Wars, but of course Your Mileage May Vary...

It might not seem entirely appropriate (after all, those computer sounds in Priv were originally used by civilian ships, and here they are on military craft), but it adds a lot to the game - sure beats having the same WCP sounds.
I agree, I really like the computer sounds.

I get the feeling those were a little bit inspired by the TIE-Fighters from Star Wars, but of course Your Mileage May Vary....

Privateer had those originally already, a Tie fighter makes a lot more offensive scream when it flies by. It was also in the original privateer Intro.

Privateer had those originally already, a Tie fighter makes a lot more offensive scream when it flies by. It was also in the original privateer Intro.

Yeah, that's what I meant. That the developers of Privateer took inspiration from the TIE-fighter sounds.
Yes, the TIE fighters do make a lot more offensive "scream", but in my ears it's the same general "direction".

I noticed the differences in missile lock tones and fly-bys (not that sound travels in a vacuum, but hey, this is a game). All a very nice touch in bringing a classic WC experience to the latest WC technology.

Back