Sound with no sound card...

Hello.

I have been having this problem for a long time now and its been ticking me off cause i bought a second hand copy of Privateer 2 and my computer's sound is intergrated onto the motherboard.

My computer is 1 year old and every time i try and install Priv2, i always come to this problem: it needs working sound or else it wont install whatsoever. My sound does work on windows but not such things as PC speaker and until recently, MIDIs didnt work.

Whatever info you need to answer, just ask and ill tell you. I really hope you guys can help me.

thanks.
Newcommanderondablock

Ok, i have a pentium 1.4ghz processor, 19 gig hard drive, 256 meg memory (even tho its always at 50% or lower), GeForce 2 graphics card, SoundMax digital intergrated audio, LG 52X speed CD-ROM. what else should i put here?

Most of the processor/ram/CD-ROM stuff is unnecessary. You should be more specific with your video card, sound card, motherboard, operating system, etc

video card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200, manufactured in May, 2001.

Sound Card: There is no cound card as the sound is intergrated on the motherboard itself. However, there is SoundMAX Intregrated Digital Audio and (im not sure if this is sound) MPU-401 Compatible. The manual also says the Motherboard can support S/W Audio ICH2 chip intergrated, AC'97 2.1 Compliant and support 2/4 channel Audio.

OS: Windows 98 (afraid thats all i know about that one)

Motherboard: MSI Intel 845 Chipset based. Supports an intel Pentium 4 (dont know exact speed, but i think its 1.4 Ghz). I dont know what else to put here.

What else should i add?

try running "dxdiag.exe" and look up in the "sound" tab which sound card (or sound chip, whatever) do you have.

ok, sound is:

Device:
Name: SoundMAX Direct Sound Driver
Device ID: PCI/VEN_8086DEV_2445SUBSYS_52901
Manufacturer ID: 252
Product ID: 101
Type: VXD

Driver:
Name: SMw95.VXD
Version: 4.11.01.0611 (english)
Certified: no
Other files: SMW95.vxd
Provider: Analog Devices

just browse that page, look for your sound card in the "model" column, download and install the file.

Back