Sound Off (June 29, 2017)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Remember back when it mattered what kind of sound card you had? WCNews remembers! We've put together a quick and dirty chart to show sound card compatibility for all the Wing Commander games that predated DirectSound. It's ideal for anyone collecting retro hardware or anyone who's interested in emulating 'different' ways to listen to the series. Enjoy!

--
Original update published on June 29, 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I am a bit stupid, but what do the symbols mean? X=Supported? Green=Emulated? Red=Not Supported?

I had the same question. I figured the Green meant supported, and Brown was unsupported, but X?

Maybe X means supported directly, green means it works (but using something else, like SB emulation) and brown means not supported. It seems to work better that way because the timeline of the Pro, 16 and AWE make more sense - those cards work with all the games, except in he "green" mode, you're not choosing the card directly, you're choosing a compatible sound version (i.e., for those, you're choosing Sound Blaster, because naturally those games lack SB Pro/16/AWE native support).

Haha well I'm an idiot.

X is native support, green is compatible and red is not gonna happen.

(Difference between X and green should be helpful for people who want to try different ways of listening to the games.)

Haha well I'm an idiot.

X is native support, green is compatible and red is not gonna happen.

(Difference between X and green should be helpful for people who want to try different ways of listening to the games.)

Used the GUS and GUS pnp for years as the alternative for not having a Roland available or on my budget, all wing commander titles work great with these cards either with native support(the titles after 1994) or via Mega-Em that came with it. And a PAS is SB compatible so it should not pose any problems, but some instruments might sound a bit "off".

Back