Something's wrong: Adm. Bergstrom didn't relieve Tolwyn of command

EmeraldaWebb

Swabbie
Banned
I saw the WCA episode "Chain of Command". Why didn't Adm. Bergstrom relieve Tolwyn of command when he disobyed her order? Tolwyn was a total idiot - his Behemoth for starters.

WC3 was pretty silly in general, with Space Hero Blair blowing up planets left and right and all.

I saw the WCA episode "Chain of Command". Why didn't Adm. Bergstrom relieve Tolwyn of command when he disobyed her order?

Because he doesn't disobey her orders; he plans to but instead follows the ambush plot through to its doomed conclusion after Blair warns him that he will be removed from command.

Tolwyn was a total idiot - his Behemoth for starters.

False Colors complicates the history of the Behemoth somewhat; Tolwyn claims he knew it wasn't the best idea but that he needed to finish it quickly and end the war in order to prevent a military coup on Earth.

That said, the Behemoth is pretty darned similar to the Temblor Bomb that won the war. Without a traitor reporting on its existence and weak spots directly to Thrakhath, it's entirely conceivable that it could have been used in a surprise attack on Kilrah that toppled the government in exactly the same way.

(The Prophecy guide suggests and Star*Soldier confirms that the Confederation built more of them--so it must not have been considered a total waste.)

Tolwyn was a total idiot -

Actually, the opposite. Not only has he been the man who saved Earth during the "Fleet Action" Campaign, but he was right so many times when his superiors were wrong during the war, that he finally started to belive that he can't be wrong.

Both the Novels AND WCATV show that he was single best confed Startegist during the war

(The Prophecy guide suggests and Star*Soldier confirms that the Confederation built more of them--so it must not have been considered a total waste.)

For the love of God why? I can see having a PTC or something to end a battle quickly against an enemy capship or take out an enemy base... but planet killers? There is only so many inhabitable planets you can blow up before there aren't anymore. The Behemoth to me was a last ditch effort to win the war and was built out of desperation. I would have thought it would be retired immediately after it did it's job. I don't really see the point of building more.

Heh sorry about the mini-rant.

The Behemoth, while still sort of silly, makes a tad more sense against the bugs. A planet full of those things would be next to impossible to take by any other means, at least any means that leaves it worth having.

That is if the bugs actually live on planets. I don't really have any idea what liquid space is supposed to be.

For the love of God why? I can see having a PTC or something to end a battle quickly against an enemy capship or take out an enemy base... but planet killers? There is only so many inhabitable planets you can blow up before there aren't anymore. The Behemoth to me was a last ditch effort to win the war and was built out of desperation. I would have thought it would be retired immediately after it did it's job. I don't really see the point of building more.

Heh sorry about the mini-rant.

Tolwyn: (...)Behemoth is a series of linked, superconducting energy amplification conduits, focusing an output of five hundred million gigawatts into one lancing point. Any target at the end of that point is destroyed.
Eisen: Even a planet…
Tolwyn: Yes, Captain. Even a planet

This means that the Behemoth can be used to destroy right about anything, not only planets, but also shipyards, space stations, Dredboughts etc.

This means that the Behemoth can be used to destroy right about anything, not only planets, but also shipyards, space stations, Dredboughts etc.

Still think of the inherent danger of just having this ship. Its upkeep alone would probably bankrupt Landriech, and you'd have to keep it fully staffed at all times. Leaving it in Mothball would not be an option as it could be stolen, leaving it at base with a skeleton crew is also not an option. You get one terrorist force who gets information on it, they're gonna try to steal it.

Also just building one when you need it doesn't make sense either. How long did it take to build?

We know it was built. We even know it's name (TCS Gargantuan) . So it must have made sense to someone in confed navy

EDIT:

The logical assumption is that Bugs had something that confed wanted really badly to blow up, and it was actually so tough, that they found out they needed Behemoth kind of firepower to actually do it

Ohmygosh dudes, we ran an IP search -- the fellow who started this thread is none other than a sockpuppet of... THE SUPERPOLYMER GUY.

I don't understand. I just moved to Independence, MO about a few months ago. I used a library computer and now I'm using a Game Cafe' computer. What or who is superpolymer guy? What's a sockpuppet? Seems like I encountered sockpuppets years ago when I was a little girl - there was a guy behind a toy doll house and had these puppets made out of old socks.

Don't worry, Josh old buddy, I'm not going to ban you. The various running jokes you generated years ago are still fueling portions of this community; the old gang still kids about George Washington and Star Adventure 4010 and all that crap. Hell, I wish I had whole squadron of dedicated weirdos like you.

But someday, somehow I'd really like to sit down with you and learn exactly what the joke is from your perspective. Because boy howdy do I ever -not get it-. Is this intentional? Do you have some kind of disease? Is there some kind of omnicenter where you fakey Aspergers cases get together and have a good laugh on our behalf?

I mean, message boards get duckbags like yourself with some intense regularity--what the heck is the deal? Are you somehow a functioning normal person outside the internet? Are you the same kind of dude I say hi to on the street or have coffee with at work in the morning? I just can't imagine it. My mind is directly boggled.

I mean, here's the thing. Here's you in *2003*: http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=8213 That's *six years ago*. Does that astound anyone else like it does me? Put quite simply, that's the amount of time that it takes to grow up. I think all those years ago we could kind of just nod our heads and go yep, here's an precocious teenager who wants attention.

But in six years teenagers grow up, they get jobs and car loans and they get their bones on and they get rejected from Arizona State and they go to work for their dad's cat photography business and all that stuff, and that necessary process makes them more tolerable. If you were a twelve year old way back when you'd be 18 now! Old enough to die for your country and buy cigarettes and vote and all that good stuff. But that clearly didn't happen to you! Are you some kind of mutant? What is going on? Is this the worlds least interesting piece of performance art? What what what what what?

Look at all these accounts you've had. Some of them weren't even used! Some of them are posting the same weirdo threads over and over! This is a crazy crazy thing. You are a crazy person. How do you get up in the morning and not be sort of unhappy with your life? When you're scrunching that eye goop out of your eye do you make some conscious decision to be as absolutely fucking insane as possible today and agree to yourself that you'll be happy about this? What's the benefit?!

Drummer Boy 207.160.205.13 [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP EmeraldaWebb 207.160.205.13 [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP
Joshua 207.160.205.13 [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addre
NeoPharoah 207.160.205.13 [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses PatrickJBuchanan 207.160.205.13 [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP PenderMillsap 207.160.205.13 [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP
RyanCole 207.160.205.13 [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses

That isn't even the whole of it! Check out a googlesearch for just your current name -- http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q="EmeraldaWebb"&aq=f&oq=&aqi= You do the same weird act at a dozen plus "Battletech" message boards… AND YOU GET CAUGHT EVERY TIME? Is there some kind of metal spike in your brain that prevents you from learning from this? Do you ever think as you're registering your 90th account to post the same things over and over with a different fake personality that maybe that isn't what actual functional humans enjoy interacting with? That maybe just like every other time at every other message board in the past *six years* it won't go anywhere?

Do you think at all? Do you dream? Do you have hopes? Is there some life goal here that we could empathize with instead of just make fun of really really really hard? What is the deal? So, please, go forward with my blessings and say a bunch of weird things about things that have nothing to do with Wing Commander. You'll inspire some good chat from the normal humans and you'll give us some good jokes that will glue us together in an amusing way… but… if you need… mental help? Get it? Or… I don't even know.

PenderMillsap and Joshua were the same person? I guess that makes sense. Man that's some kind of crazy.

Heh, I used to love the super polymer threads and jokes, but now it's all getting a little creepy.

Back