Something really cool (but hard to believe)

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
I recently saw a commercial for something awesome... if it works. It's a phone jack that splits one line into three so you can supposedly go online, use the phone, and fax off of the same line for the price of one. Does anyone know if this is some sort of rip off. It seems like it would be, but if it's not, I must have one. Thanks for any info.

I've seen an ad on TV for that . . . sounds like garbage to me. But, if it's not, I might invest in one myself.

No, you could do that quite easily. At least on your end. Its just a matter of multiplexing several signals onto the one line. ADSL does this already. You have your permenent connection on a band that is not used for telephones. Seperate bands so you can use both at the same time. However ADSL is something the telcos put in themselves. I don't really know the specifics of how exchanges work wonder if your telco would support such a third party device.

Heh, I didn't see the ad, but I saw the product in the store. It's a bit wierd - can't figure out how it works since it uses just a regular phone line... I highly doubt its effectiveness.

odd, never ehard of it, must be an american thing, aus never gets stuff liek that for along time after outher countrys which is 1 reason aus pisses me off.....but that would be cool if it was possible or avalible

Unless this is something semi-legal I assume that you can plug in 3 devices, but only use one at the time. Parallel usage of all 3 devices seems to be highly unlikely without any change from your Telco.

cff said:
Unless this is something semi-legal I assume that you can plug in 3 devices, but only use one at the time. Parallel usage of all 3 devices seems to be highly unlikely without any change from your Telco.
Indeed.
I suspect that the claims for the device are kinda vague - intentionally so - and when you get it home you find that all it does is split into 3 diff. devices so you don't hafta take your one measly phone line and keep plugging/unplugging/replugging it into the device that you wanna use at that moment...

I already have a device that splits one jack into two. You can talk on two phones at the same time with it . . . unfortunately, they're both tapped into the same call . . . so I guess that somewhat defeats the purpose, huh?

All it is is a line splitter with an alternator on it. It takes input from three items and runs it thru an incredibly underpowered phone line. Technically, it's no big deal but because of it's size the price might be big. You're just as well getting a cable modem.

Was $40 canadian here (about $28 US) for that, I think. I saw it in the US as well, so it's not too expensive...

stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid

don't buy it

stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid

-Rance-

It's a piece of sh¡t.

You cannot talk on the phone while you browse the internet with this box. What it does is it uses call-waiting (which you MUST subscribe to in order for the box to work) to allow you to RECEIVE calls while you're online.

What they don't tell you is that you cannot do everything all at once -- in fact, it only holds your internet connection for 10 to 30 seconds... so if it's Aunt Bertha from Kalamazoo who doesn't know when to shut up, you're screwed.

False-advertising pr¡cks...

Back