Some ship stats...

Heh. Should've guessed...should've remembered I was dealing with a game based on Prophecy's engine. Thus, the capships wouldn't have a shield rating other than "phase" and the number of hits they can sustain equals the number of weak points they have.

The three capships I'm needing are the Rigakh, Targu-II and Hakaga. From the mission briefings, I'm gathering that the Targus only take one torpedo to kill, and the Rigakhs and Hakagas I'm not sure about. I would guess seven for the Rigakhs...one for each engine and one for the bridge, but is that correct?

As best I can ascertain, when WCPEdit says "chain ion" guns, it's actually talking about laser turrets, and "lasers" are actually flak cannons"...so what is it talking about when it says "ion guns" (of which there are eight) and "tachyon guns" (of which there are twelve)? This is in regards to the armament on the Hakaga - it also says eight lasers, which I've already ascertained are flak cannons.

EDIT: Tachyon Gun = Mass Driver. At least it oughta be, since thats what it says for the Ferret.

Actually...maybe those are supposed to be AMGs? That'd make more sense.

I don't remember what the different guns are. They're definitely not AMGs. IIRC, AMGs were only done as fake objects, just like the PTC (when they're about to be fired, an invisible box ship appears and fires an AMG round, then disappears again - the same applies to torpedoes). The unidentified gun you speak of on the Hakaga may be a particle cannon, or a neutron gun.

About torpedoes - yes, mainly it's a matter of counting the number of capship components - engines and bridges. I'm not sure, but some components on the Hakaga may require more than one torpedo - you can compare the number of hitpoints they have with the amount of damage a torpedo inflicts.

But yeah, Targu II is just a single torpedo. The Rigakh is most likely three torpedoes. The Hakaga... about ten?

I believe it's four for a Rigakh (bridge and three engines) and eight for a Hakaga (two bridges, six engines). Pretty certain about the Rigakh, not so sure on the Hakaga. Somewhere in my LP Standoff thread I will have written the answer down, but I'm at work at the moment and I try to avoid SA when I'm at work.

But yeah, Targu II is just a single torpedo.
Yep, I remember burning in to pop them off quickly (Targus were sometimes the closest capship after coming out of auto-pilot) - leaving too many of them around tended to leave my silly wingmen wasting too many torpedoes by losing them to turret fire.

I don't remember what the different guns are. They're definitely not AMGs. IIRC, AMGs were only done as fake objects, just like the PTC (when they're about to be fired, an invisible box ship appears and fires an AMG round, then disappears again - the same applies to torpedoes). The unidentified gun you speak of on the Hakaga may be a particle cannon, or a neutron gun.

About torpedoes - yes, mainly it's a matter of counting the number of capship components - engines and bridges. I'm not sure, but some components on the Hakaga may require more than one torpedo - you can compare the number of hitpoints they have with the amount of damage a torpedo inflicts.

But yeah, Targu II is just a single torpedo. The Rigakh is most likely three torpedoes. The Hakaga... about ten?

Okay.

Thanks for your help with all this, all y'all (especially you, Quarto). Hopefully what I wind up with is at least in the ballpark somewhere.

Yep, I remember burning in to pop them off quickly (Targus were sometimes the closest capship after coming out of auto-pilot) - leaving too many of them around tended to leave my silly wingmen wasting too many torpedoes by losing them to turret fire.
Yep. I was - well, still am - very happy with how the Targu turned out. It was exactly what we needed and wanted. A capship that's theoretically easy to kill, but in practice - not entirely so. With most other capships, you could fire off a torpedo from a long way, and the challenge was in avoiding getting killed while manoeuvring around for another shot. Their turrets didn't work quite as well as the flak in WC2 did, though, making capship-killing less of a challenge than it had been in WC2. The Targu was great, because it was different. You didn't have to fire more than a single torpedo, but you first needed to get in right up close, to prevent the turrets from shooting down your torp.

Went back and looked. A Hakaga is nine torpedoes. In terms of torpedo usage, I would say the challenging ships were the TII, but only because of your wingmen - given it has a large blindspot you don't actually have to get that close - the Rigakh, because the weak spots aren't all that accessible, and the Hakaga, because you have to fight your way to behind the carrier in order to hit most of the places you want to hit.

Sorry I've been busy, then out of town for a while so I had neglected to watch the forums for some time. Glad to hear you figured out how to work things around !

Back