Some diversity in WC-universe

Yes, lets screw up the entire story in the WC series by forgeting about the bugs and fighting the Kilrathi again.
smile.gif

Why not! Lucas did that so why Origin can't? Or you find bugs plot extremely breath-taking and deep?

Only few people would buy something like that.

You have to run some polls before stating that sort of things
smile.gif

Are you obsessed with the Kilathi or something?

Just can't wait to kick some apes' asses
smile.gif
don't take it serious I just want something different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quarto said:
Ah, but WC has always been about more than just pretty pictures
smile.gif
Yeah, that’s why they shouldn’t use the colorfull and prety CGI.
smile.gif

Why not! Lucas did that so why Origin can't?
So if Lucas jumps of a building than Origin should to? I don’t want OSI to screw up the continuity.
Or you find bugs plot extremely breath-taking and deep?
Not any less breath taking and deep than the Kilrathi in WC1 and it’s addons.

You have to run some polls before stating that sort of things
smile.gif
No, you just have to have some inteligence. Why would people buy remakes of the older games, if it’s going to be the same story, with new graphics and changed gameplay? Only WC fans would buy it, and even then not most of them.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited June 06, 2000).]

Several things. As I write around here more, you will find I tend to have one setting, maximum verbosity.

First, I was thinking of the Soviet Union in two ways. One was already mentioned. The other was the break-up of the Soviet Union's Republics (Khazakstan, Aremnia, Ukraine, etc.) into a group of independent states, some with old Soviet nukes (Ukraine comes to mind.) We've ben fortunate that for the most part these newly independent states have played well together (with a few notable exceptions.)

What I was suggesting was a post war Kilrathi secion of space that was dominated by different clans, combined with the corrupting influence of Confed's underworld elements. If you've ever read the Foundation series or even the post Return of the Jedi novels, you'd have an idea about what I'm talking about. The central government collapse and govenors, warlords, etc. grab what they can and try to build on it. You would have some Kilrathi who accept the war is over and follow the example of Melek, some who refuse to accpet Melek's leadership and want to restore the glory of the Empire with their clan taking the throne. You might have other's who see the allure of human wealth and go into it for themselves, or ally themselves with organizations that could use some of the Kilrathi's talents.

Yes, the Kilrathi were dealt a terrible blow with the destruction of Kilrah and lost a good portion of their fleet, but how many other locations for shipyards did they have? One argument would be the royal family kept a tight control of these shipyards, so their number would be few and after the war Confed, with the help of Melek could monitor these and limit the number of carriers, cruisers, and other craft produced. But who's to say some of the clans weren't divert some of their wealth a resources into shipyards of their own? Particulalry with the war going well, some might be planning ahead for a time when the Kilrathi are not focused on Confed and may try to wrest control of the throne.

Second, the Kilrathi had more depth early on than the bugs. Not a lot, but some. This is due, I feel, to the fact that we eneter the war somewhat late in the game. Claw MArks does give some description of the Kilrathi Aces in the region, so you get an idea of some individuals, plus there is the histroy of the war laid out in Claw Marks. Not to mnetion there was the converstaions in the bar that helped to add depth to the Kilrathi. I think the SM1 and SM2 add-ons added quite a bit to the fleshing out of the Kilrathi (they added the religious aspect, the fact that there are some Kilrathi who oppose the war {granted it turns out Hobbes defection was a sham [another sore point I have], and the wrath of the emperor against those who fail him (I can't recall if they mention it was his son at that point or if it was brought up later. Either way, it was another trait of the Kilrathi.)

I haven't played Special Ops yet (I'm working on getting it to work), so perhaps they do more to describe the bugs in it than they did in Prophecy. I think the bugs are much more two dimensional than the Cats were in WC1. However, I think that lack of depth was a consequence of the story. WC1, as I mentioned, had the advantage of the cats being a known enemy, Confed had been fighting them for years. WCIV introduced a new enemy, but they were human and the dispute between Confed and the Border Worlds is easy to understand, and sadly the motivation of the Black Lance even easier. Also with WCIV trying to figure out what the hell was going on was the point. Prophecy is hampered (?) by the fact that you are dealing with aliens who no one has any real world knowledge of. You have some old Kilrathi myth's and a whole lot of speculation. It's somewhat safe to assume their goal is conquest, but everything else is on the table. It seems implied that their may be some time of hive mind at work, and I have always found that dull. I hated the Borg in STNG, they were boring. Yes they were an imposing threat, but it was always conquer and assimilate. I thought DS9's major villian, at least after the first few seasons, the Dominion, were much more fascinating.

Finally, I think CGI allows for more creativity than FMV. I was always surprised the Firekka never showed up in WC2, but after that it made sense. Origin had enough trouble with Kilrathi costumes, the Firekka would have been even more of a hassle. I think with CGI you can get more species and add the diverstity that would add more dimensions to the game. I noticed Chris Roberts has returned to that with StarLancer. I haven't played it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Particularly with more open ended games like Privateer, I think CGI gives the developer more freedom and allows the player more choices. Though I will admit I wondered if the guild people in Privateer were all clones.

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited June 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited June 06, 2000).]

Shane said:
Yes, the Kilrathi were dealt a terrible blow with the destruction of Kilrah and lost a good portion of their fleet, but how many other locations for shipyards did they have?
It’s not only the ship yards. Their homeworld was destroyed. With it the Emperor and his clan, and the center of their religion.
One argument would be the royal family kept a tight control of these shipyards, so their number would be few and after the war Confed, with the help of Melek could monitor these and limit the number of carriers, cruisers, and other craft produced.
Kilrathi do have shipyards, but not to much. And they certainly are not allowed to build ships like carriers, if they can build anything at all.
But who's to say some of the clans weren't divert some of their wealth a resources into shipyards of their own? Particulalry with the war going well, some might be planning ahead for a time when the Kilrathi are not focused on Confed and may try to wrest control of the throne.
They are planing just that.
smile.gif

Second, the Kilrathi had more depth early on than the bugs. Not a lot, but some. This is due, I feel, to the fact that we eneter the war somewhat late in the game.
I completely disagree. IMO, the fact that we see how the bugs got here, and read about their tactics in the ICIS gives them more depth.
Claw Marks does give some description of the Kilrathi Aces in the region, so you get an idea of some individuals,
But those are just few unimportant pilots. And their history’s are very, very thin.
plus there is the histroy of the war laid out in Claw Marks.
Also very thin.
Not to mention there was the converstaions in the bar that helped to add depth to the Kilrathi.
Those conversations were in 90% little talks about nothing. Certainly not a lot about something interesting about the cats.
I think the SM1 and SM2 add-ons added quite a bit to the fleshing out of the Kilrathi (they added the religious aspect, the fact that there are some Kilrathi who oppose the war {granted it turns out Hobbes defection was a sham [another sore point I have], and the wrath of the emperor against those who fail him (I can't recall if they mention it was his son at that point or if it was brought up later. Either way, it was another trait of the Kilrathi.)
First, the religious ceremony was never that well described or explained. Yes, it was a nice part but it could have been much better. Second, seing how we didn’t know the Kilrathi are all oppsessed with honor and stuff, in WC1, so the fact that some of them are against the war and the emperor wasn’t all that surprising.

I haven't played Special Ops yet (I'm working on getting it to work), so perhaps they do more to describe the bugs in it than they did in Prophecy.
We learn a little about their tech, but not much. And it’s Secret Ops.
smile.gif
Special Ops are add-ons to WC2.
I think the bugs are much more two dimensional than the Cats were in WC1. However, I think that lack of depth was a consequence of the story. WC1, as I mentioned, had the advantage of the cats being a known enemy, Confed had been fighting them for years.
But we certainly didn’t find out a lot about the war and Kilrathi from Claw Marks. Meanwhile, ICIS has speculations on the bug origins, and talks about their tactics and little about their tech.

Prophecy is hampered (?) by the fact that you are dealing with aliens who no one has any real world knowledge of. You have some old Kilrathi myth's and a whole lot of speculation. It's somewhat safe to assume their goal is conquest, but everything else is on the table. It seems implied that their may be some time of hive mind at work, and I have always found that dull.
Very true. And the fact that you don’t know anything about them is intimidating at times. And their goal is certainly not only conquest. Do you remember the little cutscene about the bugs disecting the cats and humans? The bugs taking a hell of a lot of prisoners.

Finally, I think CGI allows for more creativity than FMV. I was always surprised the Firekka never showed up in WC2, but after that it made sense. Origin had enough trouble with Kilrathi costumes, the Firekka would have been even more of a hassle.
With the CGI from the earlier WC games it wouldn’t be that much of a problem.
I think with CGI you can get more species and add the diverstity that would add more dimensions to the game.
You can add more species, yes. If we were to see Dekker and his marines fighting the bugs it would have to be CGI. But every example of CGI I saw is totally unrealistic. It’s to colorful, to clean, people move akwardly, a lot of the people look similar, they don’t have any features that would distinguish them (where are Dekkers blood-shot eyes, Tolwyn’s almost god like face}
I noticed Chris Roberts has returned to that with StarLancer. I haven't played it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
Well, he would have been better to use FMV. There’s not aliens in there, and very few cutscenes.
Particularly with more open ended games like Privateer, I think CGI gives the developer more freedom and allows the player more choices.
Maybe, but not in standard space sims. Both, StarLancer and Freespace don’t have that much to show for themselves. Also, the SFX IMO looks much better in FMV. You just can’t compare the Lucifer explosion at the end of Freespace to the wormhole exploding in the Prophecy ending.

First of all Earthworm, Origin did jump off the building when they canned the WC storyline. I think Sane and Eugene have some good ideas as far as getting something going again as far as WC games go. A post WCIV Privateer game would be great! The possibilities are huge. And if they did away with FMV, that would increase thier buget to give us more for our buck. Just look at some of the best games that have come out lately and there's not much in the way of any that had FMV, and thoe that did were pretty lame(Privateer2 comes to mind).

Earthworm you raise several good points. I'll try to go through them in order.

1) Loss of Kilrah. I think it was simplistic for the powers to be at Origin to assume that with the loss of their homeworld, the Kilrathi would just roll over. Not every Kilrathi was there. Even if the leaders of all the clans were killed, there has to be someone in the clan still alive who decides to take charge. Someone who's hatred of humanity is strong enough to overcome the loss of the homeworld, and who believes that the Confed can still be beaten.

2) Shipyards. The novels (particularly Fleet Action) talk of several shipyards not around Kilrah, including the secret one built by the royal family which built the super carriers, located somewhere in Hari space, if I recall. Granted they refer to those shipyards as being damaged by "suicide" missions by Tarawa-Class carriers, but they do mention them. Like I said, Confed wouldn't permit the Kilrathi to build much, but I'm talking of unknown or hidden shipyards. Kilrathi space was supposed to be vast and resource rich. It is not out of the question.

3) The depth question. I just got done replaying WC1 (Actually WC1-WCIV) so those games are fresher in my mind than Prophecy and I recall the novels, so I may be blurring things. Still I recall conversations with Paladin about how fighter tactics the Kilrathi used, comments by Manaic about it was rumored Kilrathi Cap ships were poorly shielded and armored in the rear to make sure their Captains keep facing the battle (Knight disagreed, saying Maniac didn't know what he was talking about and that the Cats seem either too honorable or brave for that rumor to be true.) As for the histroies, they make it clear that the Kilrathi were the agressors, and that they committed acts of piracy on Confed to finally declare war. Granted this interpretation has been "modified" in the later game manuals (Armada comes to mind) and the novels, but I'm trying to stick to the source material that came with WC1. Finally as far as bug tatcics, you do have Paldin's section in the ClawMarks covering fighter tactics in general and the specs on the Kilrathi ships, loadouts, max speed, shield & armor strength, etc. Finally, I may not have made myself clear with the comment that Prophecy was hampered by a lack of depth. If you want a fully fleshed out enemey like the Kilrathi then yes it is hampered. I liked the fact that I didn't no much, and that they seemed to be taking a lot of live captives and that they were clearly experimenting on them. What they were looking for remains a mystery and it left a lot of room for growth in the next games. I almost wish they would not have only had the ship's newlsetter in the docs and skipped the briefing for Blair. That would have added more mystery (the data could have been revealed in the mission briefings, bar scenes, etc. as time goes by) and it would have added a little distance to Blair. I'm still not sure why I got to read his confidental e-mail. I'd rather have seen more info on Casey (perhaps even taking the scrapbook approach that Origin did with the KS) or what's going on in Confed. What I'm trying to say in this section is I still believe there was more depth to the Kilrathi in WC1 than the bugs in Prophecy, but I think it was intentional.
4) CGI. Yes, expressions, emotions and uniqueness are lost to an extent. But I agree wuith Divco, the costs of FMV aren't worth the returns. You could spend more money on additonal missions and scenarios and the player gets a game they can play longer. Think of the how many more missions and/or mission branches they could have put on the Prophecy disks if they went to CGI.
Maniac had bloodshot eyes way back in SM1, but I'll give you it didn't look particulalrly realistic. Of course I grew up on games with 2-D graphics (temple of Apshai) if they had graphics at all (games like Zork and Planetfall), so I have low standards.

I don't want to get into another prolonged argument with Earthworm, so I'll keep myself brief.

CGI people are worse than FMV? I've only got one thing to say about that - En Taro Tassadar!

One other thing caught my attention in Earthworm's long, rambling post. Earthworm, you think Tolwyn's face was god-like?!?

Quarto said:
One other thing caught my attention in Earthworm's long, rambling post. Earthworm, you think Tolwyn's face was god-like?!?

Hey, I'm the only one that can think that. I have the framed Tolwyn picture, after all.
biggrin.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I love getting that reaction from people.
smile.gif

And, yes, it is. Very, very sad.

------------------

Earthworm - what you call common sense or basic intelligence is just your own opinion.

And regarding CGI vs FMV - just pick up Starcraft\BroodWar off the shelf, or e.g. Outcast (I'm not sure if it made it to USA) the quality of those CGI scenes is on par with Hollywood-made stuff. And taking into account low cost of the process...

Eugene Skripnick said:
Earthworm - what you call common sense or basic intelligence is just your own opinion.
Uh, sure. So tell me this. If WC3, which sold over a million copies, would be remaid today, with one of the newest engines, the FMV would be all new, with new actors and stuff, do you think it would again sell over a million? Definetly no. It would be the same story, only cheapend by the change of the way characters look like, and it would most likely loose some of the story so it could look good.

And regarding CGI vs FMV - just pick up Starcraft\BroodWar off the shelf, or e.g. Outcast (I'm not sure if it made it to USA) the quality of those CGI scenes is on par with Hollywood-made stuff. And taking into account low cost of the process...
CGI isn’t that much cheaper than FMV. Besides, I have played some space sims with CGI and it looked crapy, I don’t care if it looks great in the games you mentioned, because it won’t look great in all games.

Quarto said:
CGI people are worse than FMV? I've only got one thing to say about that - En Taro Tassadar!
It’s true, they do look worse most of the time.

Well, perhaps I used a wrong term. However, McDowell had that superior, all knowing look in himself. He was a perfect actor to play Tolwyn.

Divco said:
First of all Earthworm, Origin did jump off the building when they canned the WC storyline.
First, it’s not OSI that makes all the decissions. Second, they have something even more profitable, though it won’t last longer than few years. I think Sane and Eugene have some good ideas as far as getting something going again as far as WC games go.[/QUOTE]Wherever have I said that it’s a bad idea?
A post WCIV Privateer game would be great! The possibilities are huge.
A post Prophecy WC game would be great too.
And if they did away with FMV, that would increase thier buget to give us more for our buck. Just look at some of the best games that have come out lately and there's not much in the way of any that had FMV, and thoe that did were pretty lame(Privateer2 comes to mind).
Well, that’s you opinion. I love Privateer 2, and I don’t really care about CGI in some recent space sims.

I had forgotten about that framed picture.
smile.gif
I won't even ask why, I don't want to know as we'll get into yet another Tolwyn debate. I mean of all things to put on the wall...I'd understand if it was some Victoria's Secret model or someone out of a SI swimsuit issue, but that's just me.

Earthworm,

I went home last night dug out the Claw Marks and the ICIS and re-read them. You were right, the background on the Kilrathi are thinner than I recalled. I'm trying to recall the converstaions in the bar better, but now that I think about it, most of them involved tactics particular classes of fighters used, Dralthi loop because of restricted vision, most Salthi cut left, don't go head to head with a Jalthi, etc.
I either forgot which information came form where, or I naturally followed Robert's parallel's with WWII and cast the Kilrathi in the role of Japan and filled in the blanks on my own.

I was under the impression that CGI was somewhat less expensive, and didn't take up as much space on the storage medium, therefore the more missions per CD. I'm not sure about your assertation that WCIII would have done poorly with CGI. I think FMV helped games like the 7th Guest and WCIII becasue it was something new. I don't think 7th Guest would have done as well. WCIII had a strong following and might have done even better without the FMV. I recall a lot of people who were not able to play it when it came out because their hardware wasn't up to the demands. I've also found that due to modest budgets, you either have crappy blue screen looks or everything is filmed in dim light to help cover the flaws, a trick borrowed from the early days of film making.

And yes a post Prophecy Privateer (say that three times fast) would be good, perhaps even better than a post WCIV, since you do have the possibility of trade in Bug relics (and the potential for disease) thrown in to the mix.

mmm, the CGI in final fantasy 8 wasn't that crappy...

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Shane said:
I was under the impression that CGI was somewhat less expensive,
CGI in movies can go above couple million actually.
smile.gif
Anyhow, yes, the CGI we see in games isn’t as expensive, but it’s more expensive than some people seem to think.
and didn't take up as much space on the storage medium, therefore the more missions per CD.
Well, someone from the Freespace 2 BB told me that the short intro from FS2 is about 100 megs in size. The WC4 intro, wich is much longer, especially since we get to make two choices in it, is about 150 megs. So I wouldn’t be too sure about the size.
I'm not sure about your assertation that WCIII would have done poorly with CGI.
I didn’t say that though. I said that a remade WC3 wouldn’t sell as well as the original

I recall a lot of people who were not able to play it when it came out because their hardware wasn't up to the demands. I've also found that due to modest budgets, you either have crappy blue screen looks or everything is filmed in dim light to help cover the flaws, a trick borrowed from the early days of film making.
The WC4 and P2 FMV looked great. Of course CGI will be more colorful, but IMO that looks unrealistic.

And yes a post Prophecy Privateer (say that three times fast) would be good, perhaps even better than a post WCIV, since you do have the possibility of trade in Bug relics (and the potential for disease) thrown in to the mix.
Ah yes, that would be great. Colecting and selling the bug relics, exploring the bug space, or being a merchant and gothering resources for a small Confed fleet about to go through the wormhole. There’s to much possibilities to list them all though.

Death's Head said:
I had forgotten about that framed picture.
smile.gif
I won't even ask why, I don't want to know as we'll get into yet another Tolwyn debate. I mean of all things to put on the wall...I'd understand if it was some Victoria's Secret model or someone out of a SI swimsuit issue, but that's just me.

Okay, maybe I exaggerated slightly. It's more of a WC4 collage (sp?), but Tolwyn takes up most of the space.
wink.gif

------------------

I'm inspired now. I'm going to make a poster with the wingwomen of WC on it. Call it a collage, if you will.
smile.gif

I see the drift effect I've noticed in other posts is working its magic here. Will the collage include the ladies of all the WC games?

Back