Sol Has Been Lost

casperXJ

Spaceman
“Ladies and gentlemen, Sol has been lost.”

That could be the whole speech.

“A Nephilim fleet breached Jupiter HQ defenses approximately twenty hours ago. Though Confed leadership evacuated to this facility well prior, this defeat marks a devastating loss for the Confederation.”

“Lost in Sol was Confed’s most powerful naval force, including the two megacarriers TCS Midway and TCS Mistral Sea and their six thousand men and women and two hundred fifty fighters each. Also lost were the carrier TCS Eisen, the cruisers TCS Adelaide and TCS Bannockburn, and the destroyers TCS Arkhangelsk and TCS Foehammer, among others.”

“Latest intelligence estimated enemy fleet strength at twenty carriers, fifty other capital ships, and as many as seven thousand fighters.”

“Those are the facts. They cannot be changed. There is no time for grief. To the families of those lost, I offer only this: your husbands and wives, your fathers and mothers, your sons and daughters died valiantly.”

“They knew their chances were grim. But they fought, and that was all we could ask of them.”

It needs more. Something compelling.

“They knew their chances were grim. Now, with Sol gone, the star in our Confederation is the enemy’s.”

No, too sentimental.

“Now, with Sol gone, humanity survives on a few, last bastions.”

No, too apocalyptic. What it needs is something inspiring, something memorable.

“They knew their chances were grim. Yet they stood their ground, inflicting massive losses upon the enemy in the process. From post-action reports, fewer than one-third of the original Nephilim fleet remains.”

This is the right direction. Now, something with hope.

“For the first time in this invasion, our fleet strength matches theirs. As we speak, pilots are gearing up to take the fight back to the enemy.”

It needs more.

“We will not stand idly by as the Nephilim menace engorges our race, system by system, planet by planet. We will hold what remains. We will drive them back. They will find every system in their path awaiting them not helplessly but with fighting courage. They will pay for every jump with blood.”

More.

“We will run circles around the Nephilim beast, wearing them down, smashing supply lines, breaking rear echelons. While they rest, we will strike. While they emerge, we will hide and regroup. With every planet’s help, our forces will swell as theirs dwindle.”

Time to close.

“Then we will retake Sol. There is no question – Sol is the most important system of the Confederation. It is where it all began, where we all began. It is our home, our birthright. But we can fight without it. We can win without it.”

“The Nephilim may have numbers. They may have technology. But they do not have our will. They seek only to conquer, while we seek to survive. We have been cornered, but we shall fight out of our corner with vitality and determination.”

“Today is theirs, but tomorrow will be ours. Grant them this battle, for the war we shall have. Grant them one system, for many more we shall retake.”

“We are bruised, but we are not broken. We are down, but we are not out. As long as courage survives in us, hope survives in us.”

Done.

TWO HOURS LATER

Commotion.

“…and now, may I present to you…

Cameras flash.

“…President of the Terran Confederation.”

“Thank you.”

Silence.

“Ladies and gentlemen, Sol has been lost.”

Interesting story you got there mate.
Question thou, does this any relation to the fac-fiction of the holding the line series?
Because it might cause a conflict of interest

Nope, this shouldn't have anything to do with HTL.. and you should look up the definition of "conflict of interest."

I rephrase the question...
After reading, I thought it might clash with the story idea wit the HTL series...I was not refering to the "conflict of interest" I was trying to get that it would it cause some confusion to the readers??

Dahan said:
I rephrase the question...
After reading, I thought it might clash with the story idea wit the HTL series...I was not refering to the "conflict of interest" I was trying to get that it would it cause some confusion to the readers??

That's just the unfortunate nature of Fanfic, Dahan. There's never been a reason for anyone to make their personal story corelate to someone elses stuff. And frankly I don't think they should. Effort needs to be made to have it fit in the official WC universe, but once you start trying to make everyones obsessive fantasizing coexists together your just asking for headaches... and trouble.

Thanks for the replies!

Disclaimer: The preceding story is not meant to connect with HTL. Any similarity is unintentional.

Basically, it's just a simple little piece playing with an idea. An experiment in short fiction, if you will. Who knows - maybe a follow-up will come out of it.

As for fitting in WC, I've tried to be consistent with what's known - the ship names - and extrapolate. There's not too much "fact" in it, so I shouldn't have stepped on any toes.

Glad you like it!

Back