Sol: Exodus to be released Wednesday on Steam

Wojo

Rear Admiral
Just saw this:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/01/space-combat-sim-sol-exodus-launches-on-steam-tomorrow/

8 missions? They had better be at least half an hour long each or something...

I've mentioned before - these days playing Wing Commander 1 is a little like playing a mini-game - with missions lasting about 5-10 mins at most, I can fit a mission or two in between juggling the rest of my life, which is brilliant, and the reason I don't find myself playing epic console games anymore... (I just can't invest the hour or two it takes to really get into a game - I have had Gears of War almost since it was released and I am STILL yet to finish it!).

Here's hoping they have some kind of mid-mission savepoint system...

I'm two missions in and that does seem to be the case; the second mission is ~twenty minutes or so long, with lots of cascading events.

It's also only 10 dollars... so it's not like you're paying 60 dollars for a full WC game or something. I read that there's more coming as DLC... so I guess they pseudo-serialized it

Reviews are embargoed until launch, but I'll post more detailed thoughts about the game tonight/tomorrow morning on the front page.

Just saw this:
8 missions? They had better be at least half an hour long each or something...
Freelancer had a decent amount of play time despite having thirteen missions, so I am not concerned with having only eight as long as I can get five or six hours of play time out of it (not counting replaying missions due to dying or story branching).

Anybody got a list of system requirements for this game? It sounds like something I'd like to play but I've had bad luck along those lines in recent years.

Here's the word from the developers:

1. Minimum System Requirements:
    1. OS: Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), or Windows 7
    2. CPU: 1.8Ghz Dual Core
    3. RAM: 2.0GB
    4. HDD: 4GB available
    5. Video: DirectX 9.0c compatible; 256Mb VRAM or higher; NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS, ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro or better
    6. Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible; 16-bit
  2. Recommended System Specifications:
    1. OS: Windows 7
    2. CPU: 2.0 Ghz Quad Core
    3. RAM: 4.0GB
    4. Video: DirectX 9.0c compatible; 512Mb VRAM or higher; NVIDIA GeForce GTX260, ATI Radeon 4870 or better

For my part, it ran great on a 2007 MacBook Pro in Windows XP.

Back