Soccer!!!

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
This is a thread for some soccer talking. I´d like to know which team do you like, your favorite players, leagues, etc. If you don´t like soccer yet, don´t worry, you will.

My passion is in my sig. Clube Atlético Mineiro, "The Avenging Rooster", a 94 year old club, has an estimated 5 million fans, considered the most fanatic crowd in my country, currently leading the all-time Brazilian ranking for attendance. Atlético is also #1 in the Brazilian Championship all-time ranking.

logo_galo1.gif

camisa1.gif

Atlético was responsible for the development of many world-class players, such as Reinaldo (considered by Maradona and Romario the top Brazilian striker ever), Eder, Cerezzo, and, more recently, Gilberto Silva, among others.

My all-time favorite player was Eder (1978-1994), "The Vespasiano Bomb", who went to the 1978 and 1982 World Cups. He was scratched from the 1986 Cup for beating up a Bolivian in the qualifyings. He was a guy who played with his heart, had a great pass and made every foul kick feel like a penalty kick. He´s currently the team´s GM.

imagem_eder.gif

I don't especially like Soccer, but one of those American womens teams is called the "Cyber Rays", which has to be the coolest name for a sports team ever.

Women soccer in America has developed a lot, despite the sport being really popular among men in most of the world. Brazil has a decent women national squad, but there are only 4 or 5 somewhat important local teams here and no major organized tournament.

On the other hand, men´s soccer is well developed here, with 26 teams in the 1st National division, 26 in the second and 64 in the 3rd division, not to mention the 26 State Leagues, with some overall 8,000 pro players. The Brazilian Championship goes usually from August to December and the 4th round will be played tonight and tomorrow.

Back