So...who EXACTLY are the 'Retros'?

nickmitsialis

Rear Admiral
Guys:

In the WC universe I have heard of the Mandarins but WHO are The Retros? I have never heard of them & my searches don't seem to turn up anything on them;

TIA

NM

Their full name is the "Church of Man." They are an anti-technology group that shows up in Priv/RF. They play a large part in RF's story as well.

Their full name is the "Church of Man." They are an anti-technology group that shows up in Priv/RF. They play a large part in RF's story as well.

Close but wrong. The Retros are a renegade cult that started as part of the Church of Man but spilt off because they wanted to force all of humanity to live by the Church of Man's beliefs concerning technology.

Guys:

Thanks to all who replied; so are these 'Church of Man' renegades terrorist or pirate organization or would they be considered to be "Kat Sympathizers/collaborators"?

TIA

NM

Close but wrong. The Retros are a renegade cult that started as part of the Church of Man but spilt off because they wanted to force all of humanity to live by the Church of Man's beliefs concerning technology.

No, they aren't. They're the entire church.

Thanks to all who replied; so are these 'Church of Man' renegades terrorist or pirate organization or would they be considered to be "Kat Sympathizers/collaborators"?

Not especially - they're religious fanatics... they have no interest in helping the Kilrathi (though the Kilathi did sell them ships, as causing internal unrest within the Confederation *was* to the cats' best interests...)

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'the above', since everything in the thread is above your post. Righteous Fire includes fairly detailed explanations as to the inner workings of the church (and its leadership structure.)

The part I quoted. I remember RF talking about the organization of the Retros, but I don;t remember anything saying that the Church of Man and the Retros are the same.

The part I quoted. I remember RF talking about the organization of the Retros, but I don;t remember anything saying that the Church of Man and the Retros are the same.

Then you shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion I was wrong originally.

But seriously, 'Retro' is the slang term for the group... they (meaning the group of radical terrorists) are called the Church of Man almost everywhere (including in the manual, in all the Righteous Fire dialogue, in the official guide, etc.) I'm not sure how the mistake could be made in the first place, much less insisted upon.

They apparently don't mind using technology to destroy technology.

"Die by the very weapons you adore!" is one of the most famous Retro quotes.

But seriously, 'Retro' is the slang term for the group... they (meaning the group of radical terrorists) are called the Church of Man almost everywhere (including in the manual, in all the Righteous Fire dialogue, in the official guide, etc.) I'm not sure how the mistake could be made in the first place, much less insisted upon.

It's been years since I read the guide but I could swear that it referred to them as an off-shoot of the Church of Man.

It's been years since I read the guide but I could swear that it referred to them as an off-shoot of the Church of Man.

Actually, that does sound familiar - I'll dig up a copy of the guide on the weekend. Still, Righteous Fire describes the leadership and history of the terrorist group as relating to the Church of Man.

Back