So... Good Day

That's the hope, we'll have details soon.

I'm working on the copyedit right now.

My goal is obviously to leave it as uncorrected as possible--fix only very obvious errors (ie, where someone had "raped on" instead of rapped on a door).

But that leaves a few things fuzzy. One is that he refers to "Robert's quadrant" in the Vega sector half a dozen times. Do we correct that to "Roberts'", matching the WCU map and the likely intention or do we leave it as it is (which, admittedly, is an utterly charming name for an area of space versus the obvious reference to the series' creator)?

Given the number of books that do make it to press with typos anyway - I'd say leave it, then people can make their own assessments - either that it's a typo or that its another sector, or that its an alternative spelling (which is feasible)

Do we correct that to "Roberts'", matching the WCU map and the likely intention or do we leave it as it is (which, admittedly, is an utterly charming name for an area of space versus the obvious reference to the series' creator)?

Does that mean that both Roberts and Robert's would become canon?

I guess so, but in that scenario, it only bothers the people with their "seperate movie universe" the rest of us can see it as a variation:
After all either it's robert's quadrant - belonging to robert or found by robert or it's roberts - belongong to roberts or found by roberts but it is easy for robert's to become abbreviated to roberts (the grocers apostrophe!)

One is that he refers to "Robert's quadrant" in the Vega sector half a dozen times. Do we correct that to "Roberts'", matching the WCU map and the likely intention or do we leave it as it is

You have a far better understanding of how these things (should) work than I have, but if you're asking for input I'd say no. I suppose it depends on how 'finished' the book was. If it is something an editor would pick up on and fix then I suppose it's okay, but otherwise it just feels... wrong.

Does that mean that both Roberts and Robert's would become canon?

Well, yes, but you have to take it in context. I think people interpret something like this as a bigger deal than it is. It'd be just like today having one map printed with an apostrophe and another map by another map making company printed without an apostrophe. They just coexist. And if we're not even talking about two maps - imagine it's the text of a character's email versus what's printed on an in-universe map. In that case it's even less of an issue, simply an in character typo. If something's an obvious (albeit repetative) typo with an obvious intent, it's probably neater to clean stuff like that up now and avoid the question to begin with, but it's not a problem either way.

Five down, two to go!

Six down, one to go!

After the excitement of finding Pilgrim Truth I decided to look into the Tiger Claw poster again. I found that SciPubTech had a new website selling their old Star Trek posters (scipubtech.net instead of .com)... but they weren't answering e-mails or phone calls. I found another, current, e-mail for the man who runs the company, Marty Petz, through another group he runs (communicationscreative.com)... but no response (he was always great about updating us on the poster back in 1999!).

Then I found the blog of the artist who created most of SciPubTech's amazing cutaways - http://trekspert.blogspot.com/. I tried leaving a comment but ever heard back--it hadn't been updated in a year.

But! Ninja found him on Facebook, asked about the poster--and it turns out his brother was the artist for the Tiger Claw cutaway. We now have a beautiful high res image! It's better (and more finished!) then we could have dreamed... expect to see it soon!

yeah, it was a pretty impressive morning for me to wake up and have an instant message session with the brother of the guy who made the cut-away poster.. not entirely sure when you'll get to see it, but he promised that a better version than even the one I got is on the way.

That's fantastic. You're awesome, all of you, the CIC staff, the WC community, EA, Mr. Telep, the poster man, just everyone!

Great news, Bandit!
On both novel and poster. I'm re-reading Movie Novel and Pilgrim Stars to refresh my memory.

Awsome.
Awesome to see new things turn up after all that time, and absolutely awesome to see the dedication of you guys.
Now after all those years of not reading the books to prevent disappointment, I can get them down from the shelf. Just great.

Sad news about the print copy but still can't wait to be able to load it onto my Kindle :)

Now to start that campaign to get the rest of the series of the books released in an electric form :D

Now to start that campaign to get the rest of the series of the books released in an electric form

No start about it--I talked to Baen's senior editor about this last month at Dragon*Con! :)

Unfortunately, it's complicated. They would like to put them out as ebooks but no longer have the necessary rights to do so. (Getting the books back from the authors is a simple and affordable thing--getting the commercial license from EA is the limiting factor.)

(...nobody tell them the first five chapters of False Colors are still on Baen.com...)

@Bandit: are you done with proof-reading yet? how about a status update? Pretty please with a cherry on top?!

Thank you for the reminder! Yes, editing is complete and we're in the process of formatting it for release. It should be here *soon*.

And before that, the Tiger Claw cutaway! Any day now...

Not too soon! Work has slowed my reading for fun to a crawl :) Just as long as we have something to read over christmas.

Back