Sleep Deprivation

Oggy

Rear Admiral
Last week of Semester one, got about eight projects to hand in on friday and i am pulling my third all night working spree in a row, at half eight tomorrow I will have been awake for 72 hours, whats the longest you guys have gone with out sleep? any more than that?
(I seem to have picked up a bad case of the shakes, struggling to draw straight, could that be connected to sleep deprevation?)

I used to do that, then I realized I got a shitload more done if I took periodic naps. You've got nothing on Chris, though... he never sleeps.

I probably wouldn't have gone for more than a day without sleep, but I probably have gone a week with only 24 hours sleep. Keep in mind that the recommended length is eight hours a night, or it might be seven now, I'm not sure.

about 40 hours is all for me. but i got only 3 hours of sleep and was good for another 24.

I think when Secret Missions first scared the hell out of me (it's still more sucessful than most in that regard) I only got two hours sleep. Lucky I didn't have school the next day.

Originally posted by Ripper
Sleep is for pussies.;)

Yes, I observed that most cats seems to spend the majority of their time sleeping.
I think I am going to die, I can't move. I don't know why we bother with fire design, we should let you all burn ( actually, I take my duties very seriously, hence why i am still working now :) )

Originally posted by TC
You've got nothing on Chris, though... he never sleeps.

We witnessed Chris sleeping on many occasions. He had a tendency to lapse into unconsciousness whenever he was in a chair for more than five minutes. There's even an image in the gallery to prove this, but I'd rather not link to it until the gallery's officially up and running.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
Keep in mind that the recommended length is eight hours a night, or it might be seven now, I'm not sure.
Depends on age. Elderly people can get by with 4 to 5 hours, I think. Young, growing kids should get at least 8 hours, closer to 9, IIRC. [Edit: Make that 11 hours - I think the 8-9 hours is probably for teenagers... though sometimes they go without. :)] That's 'cause we do most of our growing in our sleep.

As for sleep deprivation, most I've done is a little over a whole day without sleep, maybe 26 hours. I only do this on overseas trips - I love flying. Oh yeah, and I did that on my year 10 formal. 'twas my first experience of GoldenEye, and it was funny playing while half asleep. :)

[Oh, and Oggy, if you have all those projects to do, why are you online?!]

Goldeneye? Heh, here's a challenge for you. With no cheats, crank up everything but enemy health on 007 mode and try and complete the train level, sans auto aim, sans crosshairs. Man, how many times I've played trying to complete any level on these settings.

Originally posted by Oggy
Yes, I observed that most cats seems to spend the majority of their time sleeping.
I think I am going to die, I can't move. I don't know why we bother with fire design, we should let you all burn ( actually, I take my duties very seriously, hence why i am still working now :) )
LOL!...:D He left himself open 4 that one...

Originally posted by Wedge009

[Oh, and Oggy, if you have all those projects to do, why are you online?!]

Iam using AutoCAD and AccuRender at university on the machines, and they are all networked to the internet, so when I am logged onto a machine, it is always online (and not even I can work for over 72 hours straight with out taking the occasional break, about five minutes every hour, so i have a quick look at the message board)

Originally posted by WildWeasel
We witnessed Chris sleeping on many occasions. He had a tendency to lapse into unconsciousness whenever he was in a chair for more than five minutes.

That's a throwback to my truly sleep deprived days. For about ten months or so there I was in quite a rut. I averaged less than 30 hours a week for that time. Any time I stopped moving I went to sleep. Lots of napping on bumpy terrible buses. I once woke up in the middle of an empty 500 person lecture hall. The entire room emptied itself with me sleeping in the middle. I still have full time work and school, but somehow I manage it and more now.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
We witnessed Chris sleeping on many occasions. He had a tendency to lapse into unconsciousness whenever he was in a chair for more than five minutes. There's even an image in the gallery to prove this, but I'd rather not link to it until the gallery's officially up and running.
...Brings me back to my days in surgical residency. We learned (firsthand; it's not in the medical books) of a physiological phenomena that came to be called "the resident napjerk reflex":

After a few weeks of sleep deprivation from being on-call, our bodies learned to snatch sleep whenever/whereever we could. If sitting in a lecture hall, as soon as the lights went down for an AV presentation, us residents' heads would also go down to our chests in sleep. As soon as the lights went back on, seems our bodies sensed this and woke us right back up after this little nap (well, mosta the time, anyway: once I didn't wake back up immediately, and got chewed out by the MD...D'oh!...)

I've stayed up for just short of 3 days (62 hours) before collapsing from exhaustion. I was also hallucinating for about 3 hours, on and off; I saw a big neon gas station sign in my backyard for some reason.

Once I woke up 10 hours later, I was the most cranky mutherfucker in the world.

I also stayed up overnight in line for my PlayStation 2. To pass the time, we scaled the rock-wall near the parking lot, did some fencing and then grabbed a TV/VCR combo and unplugged the vending machines outside to watch Rounders and something else I can't remember.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
Goldeneye? Heh, here's a challenge for you...
I'll pass, thanks. It was multiplayer at the time, and I have much more fun with Perfect Dark nowadays. :)

As for sleep deprivation, some guy in Asia (Korea?) died from playing video games for three days straight. Apparently he didn't eat or drink... wonder if he even bothered to go to the toilet? Probably not. Eww, what a mess.

I have an extremely weird sleep cycle. I have to be doing absolutely nothing to get tired. I can't go to sleep unless I am in a pretty 'sensory deprived' room or I'm watching something that I've seen before. If I'm watching something new, you can forget it. Take now for example, just finished Minority Report a few hours ago, and I still hadn't finished my simulation (Microwave Office sim that is - by the way Oggy, I can feel your pain on AutoCAD. Actually designing something on AutoCAD for me is pretty fun, fabing something that is 6 mils wide by 1 mil thick from that dxf file is another story). I've been up for about 19 hours now and I don't feel tired. That's about a normal day for me. Of course, if I put down my laptop and close my eyes, in 10 seconds it would be goodnight sweetheart, but can't do that now. The longest I ever stayed up straight was 51 hours ( God I miss sophomore year. . . yeah right) studying for finals and going through the after party. Actually, I have about the same workload now, but you simply learn to say F*&% it at some point (grad school is all about putting stuff off :) - God that's gonna bite me in the ass in a few weeks). Oh boy, simulation finished and wouldn't you know it, the result isn't correct. Alright, going to input some changes in the design, set it for another 3 hour simulation and go to bed. Later all.

C-ya

Originally posted by Viper61
I have an extremely weird sleep cycle. I have to be doing absolutely nothing to get tired. I can't go to sleep unless I am in a pretty 'sensory deprived' room or I'm watching something that I've seen before. If I'm watching something new, you can forget it. Take now for example, just finished Minority Report a few hours ago, and I still hadn't finished my simulation (Microwave Office sim that is - by the way Oggy, I can feel your pain on AutoCAD. Actually designing something on AutoCAD for me is pretty fun, fabing something that is 6 mils wide by 1 mil thick from that dxf file is another story). I've been up for about 19 hours now and I don't feel tired. That's about a normal day for me. Of course, if I put down my laptop and close my eyes, in 10 seconds it would be goodnight sweetheart, but can't do that now. The longest I ever stayed up straight was 51 hours ( God I miss sophomore year. . . yeah right) studying for finals and going through the after party. Actually, I have about the same workload now, but you simply learn to say F*&% it at some point (grad school is all about putting stuff off :) - God that's gonna bite me in the ass in a few weeks). Oh boy, simulation finished and wouldn't you know it, the result isn't correct. Alright, going to input some changes in the design, set it for another 3 hour simulation and go to bed. Later all.

C-ya

Wow....BTW whats sleep? :D

-Izouya

Originally posted by LeHah
...I was also hallucinating for about 3 hours, on and off; I saw a big neon gas station sign in my backyard for some reason...
We're assuming, of course, that there IS no neon gas station sign that shines onto your backyard?....

Back