Site update, new ships which are not Stilettos...

Oh wow! I mean just wow!!! That's frigging awesome, from the first pic of the Raptor cockpit I knew instantly my long lost flying love was back...in 3d! Yeeehaw! Great job guys, fantastic work! The only thing that appears to be slightly off is that the cockpit seems to have a tannish tint rather than the original silverish metal look, but at this point I'm not going to complain. Also that gilgamesh destroyer looks beautiful...simply stunning. Keep it up! If there's anything I can do or say to help you all out, PM me. I very much looking forward to this mod.

Hm, the cockpit's from the Raptor all right, but the fighter silhouetto and its missile loadout in the left bottom corner resembles the Morningstar (or rather a variant, since that fighter seems to have four gun hardpoints comprised of 2 different weapon systems instead of just three particle cannons). Or did I miss something?

I wish we could fly the Raptor, Morningstar or even the Wraith in the game.

[dreaming]Maybe an easter egg which would trigger an *extra* fighter in one of the Clydesdales carrying Sabres or Crossbows. A Wraith or Morningstar prototype or a Raptor being ferried for repairs.[/dreaming]

Eh, you'll be able to fly them in sim missions, that should be enough :p. We can't add any more flyable ships to the main campaign - a mod like this has to stay focussed. Otherwise, it just gets too messy.

Eder said:
I'm pretty sure the fighter looks like a Raptor. :p
Yeah, well, um...it's been a while since I last flew one of those. *ahem* :rolleyes: Besides, the two shipkillers in that missile loadout confused me. :eek: ;)

Eder said:
Minor site update
Quarto has been going over our ship stats again to make sure they all scale up from their original stats proportionally, and he found a few inaccuracies. I've now corrected these inaccuracies on our ships pages, so you can all face the cats better prepared.

What about this correction?

And that fighter is really either the *green salthi* or the shok´lar. The latter, I think. If so, will it have a decent cloaking system or that lightning bug thing from Armada?

Quarto said:
Eh, you'll be able to fly them in sim missions, that should be enough :p. We can't add any more flyable ships to the main campaign - a mod like this has to stay focussed. Otherwise, it just gets too messy.

I know, I was just dreaming :p. And the fighters you chose (Stilletto, Rapier, Gladius, Sabre, Crossbow) are greatly balanced. It kinda follows the WC3 fighter mix (respectively, Arrow, Hellcat, T-bolt, Excalibur, Longbow).

Starkey said:
What about this correction?
That one seems to have been overlooked :p. In my defence, I wasn't even checking capships (except corvettes), so I couldn't bring it up.

And that fighter is really either the *green salthi* or the shok´lar. The latter, I think. If so, will it have a decent cloaking system?
That depends on how you define cloaking.

(I can confirm, though, that it's definitely neither green, nor a Salthi)

Whoa, I guess I didn't realize that the Raptor wasn't flyable in the main campaign...that's a true bummer. Oh well. Just for clarification. You guys are modelling the Raptors cockpit in 3d...rendering it and then placing the picture of the cockpit into the game engine correct? Or are you placing the entire cockpit model into the game?

Quarto said:
(That depends on how you define cloaking.

Well, there are various types of cloaking. In all of them the fighter can´t fire while cloaked:

WC2/WC3: Complete cloak (invisible to eyesight and radar)
WC4: Partial cloak (invisible to radar, partially visible to eyesight)
Armada (Shok´lar, when you fly against it): lightning bug cloaking.

Quarto said:
(I can confirm, though, that it's definitely neither green, nor a Salthi)

You didn´t say it is not a Shok´lar ;)

Eder said:
You be the judge:

raptor.png

:p
In my copy of WC1 the raptor pit is smaller
BTW: the Ships are in a Privateer Flavour, They are the infamous "unkowns"
The Raptor pits looked like this
kilrathi_screen003.jpg

The Standoff one looks to be the Raptor cockpit as viewed straight on plus the "top" part which is only seen when you ejected in WC1. Whoever did the artwork should be praised for their dedication to the source material.

Bandit LOAF said:
The Standoff one looks to be the Raptor cockpit as viewed straight on plus the "top" part which is only seen when you ejected in WC1. Whoever did the artwork should be praised for their dedication to the source material.
Yup, the model includes the larger top window which you only saw while ejecting. Your praise is appreciated, LOAF. :p

There's also the side windows attached to the model, but we don't get to see them much in-game (you only see pieces of them, and only when you make sharp turns). I took screnshots of the WC1 cockpit from all angles, textured a box with them (sides, front, top, rear) and then built the cockpit model inside the box, matching the shapes as closely as possible.

Starkey said:
You didn´t say it is not a Shok´lar ;)
Correct. :p

Maj.Striker said:
Just for clarification. You guys are modelling the Raptors cockpit in 3d...rendering it and then placing the picture of the cockpit into the game engine correct? Or are you placing the entire cockpit model into the game?
No, no renders, that's a 3d model there. They move a bit around you as you turn your ship, etc. as did WCP's cockpit struts.

The textures of these models are almost always based on screenshots of the original games' cockpits, so it may look like a render (because there's fake light effects and etc.), but it's an actual model.

Most actually have a lot more than you will see in game - this Raptor cockpit, for example, has both side windows, textured with screenshots of the WC1 Raptor's side views. The ceiling also goes back way further, and includes the part that you can only see while ejecting (as LOAF noted)... and some even have "leg" textures on the "floor" of the cockpit. The only area of the cockpit I haven't added to any of these yet is the rear window.

Dundradal said:
looks absolutely amazing...god I need a new PC for this shit...
Maybe, but you don't need a brand new PC for this - that's part of our goals. :p

Bandit LOAF said:
Ahh Having never ejected from a Raptor I would have never seen that

Eder said:
Maybe, but you don't need a brand new PC for this - that's part of our goals. :p

Problem is I don't have one at all any more only my again iMac....my PC was destroyed by a lightening strike 3 years ago when I was away at school.

Back