Significant Bug

sq_paradox

Spaceman
I posted this yesterday in the "Possible suggestion box improvements/ideas" thread as I wasn't sure if it warrented a new thread. I apoligize for posting it twice, but it appears my post was missed. I came to this conclusion in that 1. No responce was made regarding my post 2. The game was updated this morning and the bug still exists 3. The bug is a not game stoping one but is significant, and is very simple to fix (took me 15 mins to figure it out, knowing nothing about the engine, and less then 5 minutes to fix it.) As a result I am reposting the bug here. Once again I apologize for posting the same thing twice, but considering the effects of the bug I thought it was warrented.

Ok, so in the cource of my playing (doing cargo runs and saving money for a better ship), I found myself going to the Celeste system. Upon attempting to leave Celeste, I notice something: I couldn't. When ever I tried to jump out of Celeste I ended up in a system with a green star and only one object: the jump back to Celeste. The nav map still listed me as in Celeste. The same thing also happens in the Sol system.

At first I thought the problem was that all the jumps in Celeste were labeled "jumptomastif" or "jumptotimonen" as opposed to "jump to celeste". That was not, in fact, the cause of the problem, but simply a marker of the cause.

While searching through the game files, looking for the cultprit of this bug, I read through the wcuniverse.xml, making mental notes as I went along. A bit later I came upon the system script files (sectors folder). I immdiately noticed that the two systems I noted were broken were amoung the few scripted systems. Upon comparing the system script files of the systems I knew didn't work (sol and celeste) to those I knew did, I found the problem. As I'm sure you know, within the system script files there are, among other things, the jump points in the system. Within the description of the jump point is the destination. In all the Gemini sector system scripts the destination is refered to as "gemini/system" (for example "gemini/troy"), however in all the non-gemini sector system scripts the jump destinations are refered to as "sector_sector/system" (for example "sol_sector/sirius"). This creates a problem in that in the wcuniverse.xml (and other places as well, I'm sure), the sector is refered to as "sol" not "sol_sector". Thus you can jump into one of the affected systems fine, but upon trying to jump out the game looks for a system within the sector "sol_sector" and upon finding no such sector, makes a new system.

This bug is quite simple to fix; you can just search for the "_system" in the script files and delete every ocurrance. I apoligize if I was at all rude in this post, I had to intention of being so. I just felt that although this bug is not game stoping, it does require attention.

Thank you for your hard work, you guys are doing an incredicble job, and good luck in your future endeavors.

I hope you dont mind, i'll post a few bug's here also. Havend had time to upgrade to WC:U ( bad connection problems with my isp, can't download any faster then a few kb ). But sinds these are in Privateer:Remade, and WC:U is a fork, its expect them to be also in WC:U

Speed bug: Target somebody who is going at high speed ( a ejected pilot leaving the system ), press F9 ( match speed ), then enable afterburner. And your ship is doing 1100 ( atleased that's what the system tell me). At time's trying out the bug ( going after a ejected pilot ), ended up going so fast, that the innercia kept pulling me away, while i was trying to move to a jump point.

This is a bit of a problem, becouse it allows you to do rescue missions by targetting the ejected pilot, press F9, and you arive before everybody else. Tractor him in, and your off before they get a shot off at you.

Also, is it me, but in the center of the universe, the speed seems to stay the same ( afterburn between 2 jump points, and your speed stays the same ), but at the edge, you seem to speed up ( while your speed never goes over 1100, your actual speed keeps increasing ( can be seen by using a lock on a gate/planet ).

Kilrathi faction bug? Somehow, dont ask me how, i gained a perfect 100% score with the Kilrathi ( maybe's it's all the militia i killed ... hey, they kept shooting at me, i repayed the favor :) ). I'm on better terms with the Kilrathi then the confed. It's kinde strange, i got the score way faster over 0 think by killing retro's ... arent retro's supposed to be pirates supplied by the kilrathi as behind the line's saboteurs.

Cloak isent fine tuned. Not really a bug, but i expected it to work more like WC3 or 4, dont remember anymore what had the cloak. It's a bit to easy to do cargo runs. There needs to be a time limitor on it.

Spawn bug? Something else i noticed, that all craft releated to missions spawn with 0 shields. A quick double heatseaker, and most ships there shields are only up to level 2 at the moment ( so you blow there shields out, and do damage or destroy the ship ).

Jump problem/bug? Isent the basic idear of a jump, something the requires a lot of energy? So why are the shields still fully charged, same deal with the storage battery.

Hope this helps...

Back