Start with the original WC1 and play SWC after you've played the series. It's fine to go back to. You'll greatly enjoy the original.

Welcome to the CIC! Always good to see a friendly ship!

I'd second the WC1 suggestion. SWC is good but it's a bit of an oddity and, in terms of art anyway, has quite a different feel to the rest of the series. The only snag with WC1, at least last time I played it, is that the game speed can be somewhat iffy to regulate if you're running on Dosbox.

Ah, I dream of the day I can play SWC for the first time. For years I have been sitting on a copy of SWC for the MAC but I never got it to run on my PC (or my wife's macbook for that matter).

Yeah, I'm not sure how well SWC plays in an emulator. WC1 on GOG is relatively easy to get running though. Last I heard, SWC for mac doesn't run on modern macs. I don't know what the solution to that would be since I don't run a mac.

Yeah, I'm not sure how well SWC plays in an emulator. WC1 on GOG is relatively easy to get running though. Last I heard, SWC for mac doesn't run on modern macs. I don't know what the solution to that would be since I don't run a mac.

You can use the

sheepshaver(dot)cebix(dot)net/

SheepShaver emulator to emulate an old PowerMac.

There is also the

3DO version of SWC. You will need to use an emulator such as

www(dot)fourdo(dot)com/

4DO or 3DOplay, and download the appropriate

www(dot)emuparadise(dot)me/biosfiles/3DO(dot)zip

3DO bios file as well.

(sorry, I can't post post proper links since I'm a new member, you'll need to copy-and-paste these into your browser, and replace the (dot)s with actual dots)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say that unless you desperately want to play SWC, that the SegaCD version of WC1 is the best - it gives speech (with a much better quality of voice acting), and still keeps the dos/amiga styles. That said, the SegaCD version doesn't have the secret missions at all, while SWC is the only version with the Secret Missions 1.5.

SegaCD works nicely with either Gens or Fusion MegaDrive emulators, the preference is up to you.

SWC for MAC is the better SWC version, either with SheepShaver, PearPC or Basilisk. I used Basilisk when I played it through last year and that worked nicely. You have to get Mac OS7's audio to work properly, which I found a little hard tricky (save the HD image before you change things!), but once it's up and running it's pretty smooth.

The other option is 4do for 3do emulation, but I found that to be very unstable (worse for WC3) but it was much easier to get into the game (with audio working).

out of curiosity has anyone ever tried to rig the voice pack into reg wc1, that would be awesome, I know the characters name wouldnt be the same, but it still would be awesome

out of curiosity has anyone ever tried to rig the voice pack into reg wc1, that would be awesome, I know the characters name wouldnt be the same, but it still would be awesome

Hmm, could be possible but would require a serious amount of reverse engineering! Also, you'd have no choice but to be referred to as 'Hotshot' Armstrong!

Hmm, could be possible but would require a serious amount of reverse engineering! Also, you'd have no choice but to be referred to as 'Hotshot' Armstrong!
true but the voice acting seems superb in the sega version the amiga and 3do not so much lol

do they ever use his last name I thought they always just called him hotshot so you could maybe still set it up to list blair as his last name, and hotshot could be viewed as harmless hazing for the new rookie pilot. either way it would be awesome

I think importing the Sega CD speech is on HCl's mile long list of projects to look into someday, but it would require some significant reworking of the game. Obviously WC1 in DOS isn't designed to play speech at all, so it's not some simple hack to add this kind of functionality.

Uh... someone in this thread just posted links to copyrighted material..... If you want to play Super Wing Commander, either buy the Mac version and emulate it with Sheep Shaver, or buy the 3DO version, make a backup of your CD-Rom and emulate it with FreeDO, or play it on a real 3DO/(or a 3DO Blaster if you are made of money). those are the only legal options for SWC right now. Wing Commander games are at most like $10.00 each. Just buy them. There's really no excuse to pirate the series when EA is selling them for so cheap. Kilrathi Saga is the only game which you can't get easily at the moment.

I'd love to see Super WC Macintosh ported to PC, should be possible to do since the art/videos/sound are all accessible. The only hard part may be the Apple Quicktime audio formats they used.

Back