Ship prices for WC Universe.

Bombing the upper portion of the hangar would seriously damage the ships's superstructure...defeating the whole purpose of capturing it in the first place!

EYYYYAAAARRRRRGGGHHH! For Pete's sake, you can't capture the damn thing! IT'S INVINCIBLE TO CAPTURE OPERATIONS!

...on the other hand, it's quite vulnerable to destruction attempts.

Damaging the ship at all would make capturing her useless -- you're not exactly likely to find Confed carrier parts just lying around. :)

But doesnt the flashpak incinerate the inside of a ship? Wouldnt that leave the inside all burnt up, equipment damaged and useless?

RFB

RFBurns is correct -- plus, 'a way of getting flashpaks' would be like 'a way of getting nuclear warheads' to our Ford Tarus analogie. :)

That's not exactly a fantastic analogy...while you can't get a nuclear warhead, you could make a bomb...and Flash-Paks are CLASSIFIED... :)

Then again, Flash-Paking our TCS Hopeful would leave the superstructure. Perhaps bulkheads would still be intact...with quite a bit of refitting, you could replace all the equipment...maybe the engines and the reactor would still be intact. You just have to replace a few million worth of equipment...ugh...that might not work, due to the cost of refitting. And if it was possible, why wouldn't they just refit the Vesuvius?

Speaking of which, how could it be possibly be cheaper to build a new ship than to replace a heavily damaged one? Unless the ship's superstructure is cracked, it couldn't possibly be cheaper...

[Edited by Nep Parth on 05-09-2001 at 14:55]

But the Wing Commander futuristic equivalent of a bomb *is* a bomb... the WC futuristic equivalent of a classified nuclear weapon is a flashpak (well, and a nuclear weapon:)).

Yeah, there's the Mace...which isn't more powerful than those Anti-matter torpedoes... :)

I also modified my post below, LOAF. This was after you posted...so, please read and respond.

Originally posted by wcwraith
just about anyone can make a nuke its just getting the plutonium or uranium that is a problem

So, aside from the part that's impossible, it's very easy?

Re: Nep... refitting damaged ships (depending on the type of damage) *is* cheaper -- that's why we see Lexington come back from the dead in WCIV... she'd been heavily burned in the Battle of Terra.

As for refitting a carrier, it'd still take a massive shipyard -- something pirates or privateers don't have.

And as for refitting after a flashpak -- the ship itself would be... melted, warped in places.

Perhaps refitting would not yield proper results if the ship is damaged to a point where it would require repair or replacement of the frame structure. It may take too long, or pull to many technicians and engineers from another project or repair of a less damaged ship. Unless the circumstances absolutely require repair of said ship, it would end up in a scrap yard or left adrift, or even scuttled.

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns
But doesnt the flashpak incinerate the inside of a ship? Wouldnt that leave the inside all burnt up, equipment damaged and useless?

RFB

Oh, I thought it had a microwave kind of effect. You know, the bowl doesn't melt just everything else would. Obviously, Mr. Ladiesman is wrong once again.

ok i guess i was wrong. and the nuke thing was stupid i should of thought about it before i posted

[Edited by wcwraith on 05-09-2001 at 15:37]

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Capturing a capship can't be so difficult. Look at Maverick, Grunt and that alien who walked through the Kilrathi flagship in WCATV and made it crashland. :D

A fine example of why some officialy realeased material should be considered non-cannon =)

Originally posted by Gagarin
A fine example of why some officialy realeased material should be considered non-cannon =)

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

I'll offer another item - it would be easier (but not nessasirly feasable) for Pirates to aquire a ship that was decomissioned ans then sold to a new owner... capture the ship while being transported to BW/Landrich.

Actually, stealing fighters/ships might not be hard, given an opportunity. I mean, the Border Worlds fairly easily stole a freaking carrier and a bunch of fighters. I mean, if they could why couldn't pirates?

The Landreich and the Border Worlds would take severe exception to that...and you don't want someone who's even heard of Max Kruger on your ass...

Border Worlders don't like it much either. Both groups take great precautions against raiders...and they won't tractor you in if you eject.

Back