Ship Names, Political Ramifications

too true mate, she has been replaced with HMS Bulwark and HMS Albion if I remember correctly.

I just always like to think of the reasons ships are called what they are. There is a tradition of calling destroyers after cities in the UK. HMS Birmingham, Sheffield e.t.c. There is also the tradition of naming the first ship of the class after that name, for instance Invincible class carriers and Broadsword figates.

To that end was there a TCS Ranger? I know that concordia was a class and ship as was midway and such.

What a fantastic job, naming ships eh. Coming up with all sorts of cool things

The Class name thing is World Wide

The Royal Navy now has a HMS Enterprise, the first one for about 50 Years

Was there ever a TCS Tolwyn?

Not that we know of. It's generally considered in poor taste to name a ship after someone while they're still alive... and certainly it wouldn't happen while someone was an active military officer.

Just Asking. and also I suppose the last acts he performed may have put Confed off naming a ship after him

To change the subject slightly: what syllable is the inflection on in "Tarawa"? For some reason I keep thinking it's "taRAwa", which is difficult to pronounce...

climber said:
To that end was there a TCS Ranger? I know that concordia was a class and ship as was midway and such.

I think it would be safe to assume there was. We haven't seen it, but that doesn't mean that the ship never existed.

By naval tradition, which is followed in WC, ship classes are named after the first ship of the class to be built, with a nice WC example being the Midway, or the Vesuvius, if you stick to the later era of WC. Thus, to say the Victory is a Ranger-class carrier guarentees somewhere along the line, there was a TCS Ranger.

Like in Star Trek

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 - Constitution-Class (U.S.S. Constitution NCC-1700)

yes in the star trek universe it is pretty much assumed that the first ship of any class is named after the class. We hear of, alongside the USS Constitution, the USS Intrepid, the USS Galaxy, the USS Sovereign, the USS Defiant and several others

I would not be surprised to see a TCS Bismark or TCS Yamato (and for me, a TCS Enterprise is a given). Now here's a ship I'd like to see: TCS Nelson.

What about a MacArthur? Eh, he was removed from service - that tends to be looked down upon.

But MacArthur was still considered a national hero in the U.S., the Philippines, and even Japan, who was only fired because he actually wanted to win the Korean war. He was still given a funeral with full military honors.

Back