Ship Conversion

skymaster

Rear Admiral
Why every ship converted has the piranha's VDU ?
How do we change that, for example to use the Tigershark's ?

Sorry for such the long wait for an answer...but do you mean the Piranha Target icon or the Piranha Cockpit itself

The target Icon. I found out. We have to change the ship ID of the ship using WCPEDIT 1.8

Thanks for the reply!

However, how do We add more ship icons ? Let's say we want to use Border Worlds Ships, Old WC ships or Kilrathi ships. We have the tools available to convert the ships, but not the VDU Target Icon. It’s strange to target the Paktahn with the Piranha’s default Icon or other Icon that does not represent the ship properly.

Here's a few things that you have todo first....

Use Treman to extract all the textures associated with either Secret Ops or Prophecy using the program "TREMAN"

Then look up a few of the textures and convert all the MATS to > BMPS or JPGS
First it's easier to have a model handy of the fighter you want a vdu of...let's say the Avenger fighter....You can download the Avenger from the WCMDF site on one of the links on WCnews front page on the left.

Then you have to take a screenshot from the top view of the model which is in 3ds format. which you can use 3d Exploration to do. Then use a paint program (Do a search for Paint.net, It's a great Free program and can do alot. So you have the screenshot now right?....Use the tools in Paint.net or Corel Photo or any paint program really...and fill in the fighter.....make sure that the background is pitch black (It's considered a transparency in the Vision engine)

Here's also a little different way (Which I find easier) to do it using a program called "Lithunwrap" Using the Lithunwrap program, you can select the whole model and map it so select the top view and then map it to a texture. After you do that. There's a tab called UV MAP, which when you push it it will create a bmp or jpg or the outline of the model then it is much easier to fill in with whatever color you want. I can demonstrate tonight for everyone to see if people want. Also if there's any way to do it differently or easier let me know, this is the way I've been doing it and it's been a pain in my ding dong, for awhile now :) If you have any trouble just reply and I'll help out. Good luck

Overwrite an icon that you don't want to use, like a fighter that isn't normally seen like "The Wasp" or something

thanks for the reply, but is it really necessary do overwrite an existing VDU Icon ? Is it not possible to add more ICONS and ID's to the game, maybe patching it somehow ?

Does capships VDU target Icons have the same behavior as fighters and corvettes ? Fighters need green, yellow and red icons, capships don't, right ?

I think it's just an image of whatever you put in that picture. Personally it's easier to do something that looks liek a 2d wire mesh or a blueprint looking type picture, And i'm not sure I think you can tell it to use a certain VDU, i can't remember how. try asking the standoff team there better at modding than I.

Back