Sheffield's Shipyard

Cyberion

Master of Orion
alright, here is the showoff thread of Sheffield to monitor the progress on the model i'll be doing (the one that were listed in the to do list).

Here is what we have so far:

sheffield016qm.jpg

Probably it will be LOD model. So you should have 2 of them. Low detail and high detail model for the close up flight ;) (at least i hope i can manage it, the main challange is a texture ;))

How you like the way work is going on.

hmm none as I might think of. Of course i won't model the models which are available and at the good quality. It's a great waste of time for the project to double the work. I'll do what there isn't. So far it's sheffield.

Also could you give me some reference images of the ships you need to be modeled. Cause i didn't findout how they look like.

You might want to round the edges slightly to make it look nicer closeup, at least the hard ones. Otherwise, looks good. Only the window rows are a little wierd, IIRC the windows are spread among the tower in various groups rather than on just two lines.

Lynx said:
You might want to round the edges slightly to make it look nicer closeup, at least the hard ones. Otherwise, looks good. Only the window rows are a little wierd, IIRC the windows are spread among the tower in various groups rather than on just two lines.

well, that's the hull holes for the window frames. So windows will spread along the hull of the ship like they are on the original, but inside those holes.
And i'll be rounding the most of the edges on the final stage, cause Lightwave rounding tool sucks and can round up some certain parts, but not everything that i want, so will have to round up manually. So on the later stage ;)

spiritplumber said:
Awesome! Did you check whether there already is a Sheffield model around though?

I don't think there's a Sheffield there, but some other WC3 capship models are there: Link

The models look good, but <ou might do something about the textures, though.

ok, here is one more step i made to finish this model. basic form is done. I think next i'll start round edges and trying to do something about the textures ;) So far model is about 2300 polies. After rounding will be about 2600-3000. So good amount i guess ;)

sheffield033cv.jpg

sheffield0325fu.jpg

sheffield0336sx.jpg

I could have sworn I'd seen a Sheffeld around somewhere...but if you're content to make this one, no need, right? Looking good.

There were several Sheffields, CamW did one, than there was some guy who posted some pictures in the modding forum, my model, and a WCP model is available at PopsiclePete's.

Yeah! that's what I'm talking about! Nice! very Nice!
I love it when people create stuff, especially visuals, I really do!

And I do beleve I like this peice a lot, a hole lot. Oh yeah, I'm keeping an eye on THIS thread. Mighty fine modeling going on over here. A guy can really learn something from these pics.

Are you planning to incorporate the tiny hangar in the back part of the ship?

i hope thats not intended for game use cyb. its good work, but it looks a little poly intensive.

edit:

saw the poly count. tri count will double it, not to terrible.

If anyone get's a Shefiield to look polyintensive I'd be impressed. :p

Around 3000 polies isn't that much actually, especially if the game engine utilizes HT&L. You could probably up it to 10 000 without any significant performance loss even on older machines(though you'd have to keep the texturecount down since in HT&L the number of textures seems to have more impact on the machine than the polycount IIRC since the whole model get's rendered once for each texture it has- not counting sparate things like turrets and so on)

the final polycount Brad will be 3000 (that's triangulars) the current (without triple function) amount is 860. So do not worry. I've listed here 3000 as the final (tripled) amount ;)

I think you had 8000 polies at your meshes, so i guess my model suits for game at least 2.6 times better ;)

sure cyb, for about 3 years ago :)

also, theres a bit more detail in a privateer ship than those of WC3 as well.

well added some last modeling touches to the ship. The only thing i need to know is where Sheffield has the Hangar/Launch Bay? Cause i have no idea where i should model it.

Right now, i'll start round edges and than texturing the ship. But i need to know where is the hangar ;)

I hope you like it so far:

sheffield047uf.jpg

Back