Secrets of the Wing Commander Universe

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Hi!

Thanks to LOAF, I am currently reading and enjoying the guide by Mark Minasi and while I am not yet done with it, I already like the guide. The way it's written just has such an unprofessional feel to it. Really like it was a random WC fan who decided to write such a guide. Though I think there are some real oddities in it...the Grikath is a fast and nimble ship? Stilettos are like Sabres and should be outrunned? A Ralatha never fired with its AMG on him? Lucky guy.

Why shouldn't you use the joystick to fire the guns? I do agree that it can sometimes lead to an untimely death if you try to launch a missile by pressing the two fire buttons on the joystick and only initiate the AB. But what danger is there to use the button to fire the guns?

Also I do not remember WC 1 and 2 crashing as often as he seems to put it. And I think I played WC1 on a 8088 and 286 without it turning into a slide show.

Though the one question that let me post this thread: on page 9 he tell's us about emperor Rah'kra's Imperial Guard. Has he made up this name or is it official?

Thanks in advance,

Mekt-Hakkikt

There are definitely a few questionable things in the guide, but what I always appreciated most about it was the huge scope of the book. It covers a huge range from WC1 through Privateer. It isn't just a game guide - there are excellent diversions into dos tricks and so on. Back in the day I used to just pick it up and start reading from a random mission like I used to play.

It sure is unique in its approach. Or better: I haven't read a guide with a similar approach.

But the real question I had remains: is "Rah'kra" made up or does it show up in an official source as the Emperor's name?

Back