Secret Ops/Glide problem.

U

Unregistered

I ran a search for this topic title and read a few of the threads I got, but nothing fixed the problem.

I have a fresh install of Wing Commander: Secret Ops (set to compatability mode: Win 98) and the Glide program provided by this website. The game will run fine when I choose Direct3D mode in the set-up menu but when I set it to glide, I get a generic "Secretops.exe has encountered an error and needs to close"

http://solarisrpg.com/files/fileman/user/lum/dxdiag.txt

That is a link to a DXdiag test I ran, if it will help at all.

U

Unregistered

The only other game I have that -might- require glide is Fate by wildtangent (it's not on the configurator's list, though, so I doubt it does).

I could search for my old WC: Prophecy discs and see if that game works with glide, but I don't know where the discs are.

U

Unregistered

error message:

FileStreamer::read failed 0 0 998 fs::read WaifForMultipleObjects 1 0

I followed the directions precisely, including Win 98 compatability.

U

Unregistered

I got the same error message in all four "texture memory" settings (16, 8, 4, and 2).

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
What sort of video card do you have? Since this is just an informal wrapper, it's possible it's incompatible with your video card.

U

Unregistered

Don't hate me....

Just so you know, I'm a gaming failure. I have an onboard card...

Card name: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR

I would imagine it's simply incompatible. Oh well- back to playing 640 by 480 in software mode, I suppose.

U

Unregistered

Crap, I should log in so I can edit my messages and stop wasting space; I just wanted to say thanks anyway for the effort!

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Oh, that's probably it then. When doing any sort of emulation, you have to have a substantially more powerful CPU/Video/etc than what you're trying to emulate. But if you can get Direct3D, that's not bad.

You're welcome.. you really should register/log in though, it makes tracking people's tech support issues easier.

Well, I dunno how much it helps now that all is said and done, but I haven't logged in in almost a year. But obviously, it's me, colonel sanders

Good thing I logged in this time. I am trying to delete the WCP3dtest installer from my computer, and I am getting an error saying I can't delete it because it's being used by another program. I've tried restarting and deleting, restarting with all services/startup programs turned off and deleting, but I cannot make the thing go away.