Secret Missions and Special Ops

Needaham45

Spaceman
Secert Missions and Special Ops

Hi. I'm pretty new here, so I'll start off with a few details about myself relating to WC. I got WC2 as a birthday gift. Played that, loved it. Got WC4, and got hooked. Since then, I've gotten WC1, WC3, WCP, and WCSO. Recently, I found out about the fan-project Unknown Enemy, and I became the musical composer on that project.

Now, to my question. I'm constantly hearing lots of things about the Secret Missions add-ons for WC1, and the Special Ops add-ons for WC2. I never managed to get my hands on either of these, and I feel like I'm missing out on a lot (game wise and plot wise). I looked online for info, and I found them for download somewhere, but the downloads only worked with the Windows version. My WC1 and WC2's are so old that they're the DOS versions. Does anyone know where I can buy, download, or in some other way get my hands on the Secert Missions and Special Ops add-ons? If not, is there anyway I can at least find out in detail what happens during those addons? Thanks.

Originally posted by Needaham45
...the downloads only worked with the Windows version.
The elusive Kilrathi Saga.

My WC1 and WC2's are so old that they're the DOS versions.
There's nothing wrong with the original DOS versions - given that KS is usually expensive and hard to find, I assume most of us here have the DOS versions as well.

...I feel like I'm missing out on a lot (game wise and plot wise)... is there anyway I can at least find out in detail what happens during those addons?
I can't do much about gameplay, but if you can't find anything, you can at least find out about the plot here. I haven't the time to do SO1/2 yet, though.

Originally posted by Wedge009
There's nothing wrong with the original DOS versions - given that KS is usually expensive and hard to find, I assume most of us here have the DOS versions as well.

And the version of Wing Commander II that comes with The Kilrathi Saga was poorly done.

Re: Secert Missions and Special Ops

My WC1 and WC2's are so old that they're the DOS versions. Does anyone know where I can buy, download, or in some other way get my hands on the Secert Missions and Special Ops add-ons?
Probably easiest and cheapest choice is to buy the deluxe CD versions of WC 1 and WC 2 for DOS.
It is pretty hard to get the addons separately nowadays.

Wedge - thanks for that link. I'm checking out all the plot stuff now. It's very helpful.

cff - I wasn't aware that you could still buy WC1 or 2 in any form new... I assume you're talking about used??? Either way I'll be looking into it... thanks.

The last release for WC1&2 that I know of was a sped up version for newer computers in 1998. You can still find the games unopened on Ebay every now and then

There are several speed issues, some of the movies don't play properly, and your targeting VDU doesn't show your enemy's shield strength.

Maybe the shield strength isnt shown because the capability isnt available yet. Technological advancement yet to come?

You are right about the wrong timing in movies sometimes, but the target`s shield strength is displayed perfectly in my version!

Originally posted by Ripper
Maybe the shield strength isnt shown because the capability isnt available yet. Technological advancement yet to come?

It's in the DOS version of WC2... and the Kilrathi Saga version of WC1... it's not *intentional* -- the stuff they changed when they added the 'invisible cockpits' threw some of the VDUs off several pixels... which killed the shield indicators.

I said "usually", and I was referring to the present state of KS sales. Some people are lucky, most aren't.

I just saw one go for 250 I think it was US dollars. Or 300 or something like that. Was sealed in shrinkwrap and all.

Thats a gamble though, imagine you open it up to find a dodgy copy hehe.

Makes me hold my KS closer too me

Kilrathi Saga is a great collection of Wc series.Its worthy to buy it even if its expensive!

Back