Searching floor plans for WC1/2 capships

criticalmass said:
I hope Marc doesn't object to this.

Not at all, this stuff is fun.

AD said:
It would seem to me that you haven't designated enough space for storage, as long as this definition includes fuel. As well, it may make more sense for the powerplant to be more central, closer to what youve made the PTC tower (on the bottom) Speaking of which, on a second look I see engines but no actual power plant?

It doesn't go into those specific details. The image was to suggest a possible direction- not a guideline. criticalmass or maybe even powell99 would be better suited to awnser since they are both in similar projects.

HOWEVER, having said that, my "helpfull comment" would be that de-centralized power plants (one for eatch engine tower) is better suited for combat since they can act as backups in case the other fails. And of course the reactor of the PTC could always be changed to become THE primary reactor of the ship... so many possibilities...

As for fuel tanks, there are many places inside the red sections that could represent them (yes, I assumed that fuel goes with engines) :)

http://img76.exs.cx/img76/7094/deckhelp024du.jpg

I always figured that the front tower is some kind of sensor tower, for it is in a good position for such and has to panels...

The front position could be flight control possibly. It is in a good position to watch incoming and outgoing fighters and shuttles. We know that flight control is usually near the flight deck and putting it in that front position gives controllers a unhindered view of the runways.

The front tower as being mostly sensor equipment sounds reasonable to me. There might be an auxiliary bridge or CIC or flight control in there if the main tower catches a hit. Manning it constantly seems a bit risky to me...

As for power plant and fuel storage, I'm still twiddling around with the sizes. Those ships are matter/antimatter powered if I recall, which wouldn't use up a lot of space for the "fuel" itself, but the security (magnetic stasis fields, reactor chambers, etc.) around it might be pretty huge - do we have any physics guy here who can make an educated guess?

The main point where I differ from Marc's design is the size of the living area/life support portion - the front section alone is about 300*300*60m, so that's 90,000 square meters on each of at least 6 levels (about 5,400,000 cubic meters). That's a pretty big bathroom for everyone, plus the two structures at the sides of the main tower and the upper fins. Even for storage, all that is very huge - if we count water to be recycled, pure oxygen at 1 kg/day/crew member, and about the same in foodstuff, there is still plenty of space left for bowling alleys and tennis courts (which reminds me - there was a sqash court in the WCA claw).

Hmmmm (*gets the drawing paper out...*)...

There's only one, minor issue that I see, beyond what's been mentioned by others: The orange section up front is unlikely to have the CIC, as traditionally (a tradition that seems to be upheld with the Intrepid in WC4) the CIC is located as near as possible to the center of the ship, to try to put as much protection around it as possible. If the CIC were in that exposed part, it wouldn't do much more good than the bridge, as far as vulnerability issues are concerned.

We can actually confirm Death's theory, thanks to one of Fleet Actions' descriptions of the Concordia: "The Combat Information Center, buried in the heart of Concordia was almost like a tomb, encased in a double layering of durasteel, illuminated by soft diffused light and the shimmer of holo displays and flat screens."

Even for storage, all that is very huge - if we count water to be recycled, pure oxygen at 1 kg/day/crew member, and about the same in foodstuff, there is still plenty of space left for bowling alleys and tennis courts (which reminds me - there was a sqash court in the WCA claw).

That's one of the Tiger's Claw's "grav ball courts", which was introduced in the Wing Commander I & II Ultimate Strategy Guide. The 'Claw also had a multi-lane, 50 meter pool!

Bandit LOAF said:
We can actually confirm Death's theory, thanks to one of Fleet Actions' descriptions of the Concordia: "The Combat Information Center, buried in the heart of Concordia was almost like a tomb, encased in a double layering of durasteel, illuminated by soft diffused light and the shimmer of holo displays and flat screens."

Thanks LOAF, that's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. That's in Fleet Action? Okay, I'll re-read and see what else I can get from there.

That's one of the Tiger's Claw's "grav ball courts", which was introduced in the Wing Commander I & II Ultimate Strategy Guide. The 'Claw also had a multi-lane, 50 meter pool!

Note taken; court, pool, changing rooms, sunscreen dispenser, viewing gallery, sauna, and sports bar will be added to the layout.. ;) - Well, certainly not all of that.

criticalmass said:
Thanks LOAF, that's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. That's in Fleet Action? Okay, I'll re-read and see what else I can get from there.

False Colors also makes notice of this when discussing the differences in confed and kilrathi ship. don't have a copy handy to give you pg #s though.

FC would actually help furnishing a Kat ship, because it mentions the miriad of redundant systems, among other details

BTW, the Concordia is pretty long... are there any turbolifts or some other commuter system? they would take forever to go from some place to another just walking.

one could say the lifts we and hear about in the games and novels have the ability, to at least some degree, move horizontally to speed up movement between key sections of the ships. Although I don't believe there is any evidence to support this. most of the time they are described and seen walking around the ship.

Dundradal said:
False Colors also makes notice of this when discussing the differences in confed and kilrathi ship. don't have a copy handy to give you pg #s though.
FC is one of the few books I still don't have - and one on the long list of things to be acquired sometime. Well, time to move it up the list a bit.

BTW, the Concordia is pretty long... are there any turbolifts or some other commuter system? they would take forever to go from some place to another just walking.

The CDN is almost one kilometer long, which is about as far as I have to walk for lunch every day - takes me about 15-20 minutes, at a leisurely pace. If you run, you can cover that in less than a third of that time.
In the games and in WCA, we always see only horizontal lifts, and people walking along corridors (or running, as in the launch animation scenes).

Horizontal conveyor belt-type things or chutes would be comfortable, but also prone to errors and accidents - it would be horrible if a ship can't lauch fighters because the pilots got stuck in the commuter device...

Maybe some Navy guy knows if there are slides or chutes in today's carrier's?

criticalmass said:
In the games and in WCA, we always see only horizontal lifts, and people walking along corridors (or running, as in the launch animation scenes).

Horizontal conveyor belt-type things or chutes would be comfortable, but also prone to errors and accidents - it would be horrible if a ship can't lauch fighters because the pilots got stuck in the commuter device...

The opposite is true we only see vertical lifts traveling between levels never along them. The lifts on the victory and intrepid both appeared to only move vertically and the rest of the distance was covered on foot.

In the majority of desciptions most horizontal travel appears to be done on foot. Althogh the possiblity of horizontal lift movement is not totally ruled out. It is just not mentioned IIRC, although I could be forgetting some small line somewhere in the novels, been too long since I've been able to spend a good deal of time on them and the games.

Back