Screw Win2k... (n/t)

Amen to that!
biggrin.gif

Geez, why can't microsoft get anything right?

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's got to be a joke about how annoying Windows NT and NT Chat Zone posts are..

Silent Warrior said:
I'm with ya. Read in a paper there's a romour out saying that Win2000 has 63000 errors in it. Figured I could spread the rumour some more.
smile.gif

Didn't Win98 have like 300,000 bugs when it first came out? Most of those bugs, like LOAF or Chris Reid said are probably incompatibility isues with sound cards from 1990, or some other meaningless stuff. Also, don't forget that Win2K is designed for busineses, and it based on WinNT, which wasn't to good for gaming. Win Millennium Edition will probably run our dear WC games.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

[Somehow, I don't think LOAF would appreciate being called LOAD, hence the minor edit. - Death]

[This message has been edited by Death (edited February 27, 2000).]

This whole Win2K deal is crazy. If they'd called it what it really is, NT5, most people wouldn't even have considered installing it. Because they'd have known that it's an attempt at a business OS.

In short : Windows 2000 should have been called Windows NT 5, and Windows Millennium should have been called Windows 2000.

I read somewhere that Win Mil will have a slightly new look, but its goign to be based on the same code as Win98, so what are we really goiong to get? Win98 with another facelift? When they make a CONSUMER OS that is stable, will run dual procs, whatever you can throw at it, and still have gaming support, then we'll be happy. (We'll being the consumer/gamer) But you know what, I don't think MS will do it. They'll keep throwing out buggy sh*t because they can

------------------

Now, 'ang about there. Win98 is already far more stable than Win95. It only crashes half as much
smile.gif
. I think that it's entirely possible that the Millenium edition (of which, oddly enough, I've ne'er heard - all the hype goes to Win2000) will be even more stable.

I don't like the way NT runs appilcations-the default settings don't allow much, that is if you don't have full access. Stupid messages come up all the time.

Aside from that, it still allows many crashes to take place. Pass on NT if you can get 98.

The only advantage I can see in NT is you can have multiple running modes for different users-they made it possible to do that in 98 though. Of course who likes to enter passwords every log on?

If Win2K is a facelift for Windows 98, and Win98 is a facelift for Win95... . . . . . . .

(With WinNT in there somewhere)

Doesn't that mean that Windows 95 is the only original OS to come out of Microsoft since Windows 3.1?

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

------------------
Sometimes I wish that Zero would realize his gun HAS a camera!

[This message has been edited by Anagram (edited February 28, 2000).]

Anagram said:
If Win2K is a facelift for Windows 98, and Win98 is a facelift for Win95... . . . . . . .

Windows Milenium should be a facelift from Win 98.
biggrin.gif

Doesn't that mean that Windows 95 is the only original OS to come out of Microsoft since Windows 3.1?

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Somewhat, though I just changed from Win95 to Win98 (and lost most of my files in the proces
frown.gif
) and I can see a some improvement, especialy with speed. Though Win98 uses more ram, it makes the other programs use less and overall my whole machine is faster now.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Earthworm said:
Windows Milenium should be a facelift from Win 98.

Thats what he said Earthworm.

Earthworm said:
Somewhat, though I just changed from Win95 to Win98 (and lost most of my files in the proces
frown.gif
) and I can see a some improvement, especialy with speed. Though Win98 uses more ram, it makes the other programs use less and overall my whole machine is faster now.

------------------

WinME....is really just a repackaged "Win98 Third Edition".

Microsoft really was planning to move everything to the NT kernel(much smoother, and faster boot time), with 2k(hence the name) but seemingly they had problems of simplifying Win2k Pro into something more "consumer" like.

But seriously DOS shells are getting old. It's about damn time they get rid of the Win9x kernel and get something smoother.

No he didn't.
biggrin.gif
He said Win2K, which means Win2000. Windows Millenium Edition which isn't released yet will be a facelift from Win98.

Simple: Windows 3.1 was publicly released. Most people had little idea that Windows 3.0 existed, although it does. In fact, Windows 3 wasn't even an operating system, it was a graphical user interface. DOS was the real operating system behind it all.

(So I was originally wrong.)

------------------
Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot, over! -Spyder

Win95/98 isn't an OS either. DOS IS the real operating system behind it all. The only other OS microsoft has ever done besides DOS is NT, witch, even though IMHO far more stable than Win95/98, isn't suited for games. Too bad. I had great expectations for NT5 (Win2K) to bee an Game-capable NT OS, but I guess you can't always build on old code, as it makes spagetthi programming resulting in a Big Bug Blowout (BBB). It's a real handicap for us PC gamers to be always stuck with MS Non-operating Systems. Unix(/Linux) and even MacOS have been cleaned from some of their old code many times in the past, so it doesn't grow from 17 to 56 million lines of code (and it's more stable too).

Screw the Win facelifts !

Well, at least it's my opinion
smile.gif

------------------
PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete's WC Page : http://members.xoom.com/PopsiclePete
E-mail : PopsiclePete@angelfire.com

Visit HCl's WC editing Archives

The WC Source Code Release Project needs YOU !

[This message has been edited by PopsiclePete (edited February 29, 2000).]

PopsiclePete: I was wondering when somebody might point that out
smile.gif

Hey, I see you've added to your sig too
smile.gif
. I keep forgetting to enable it
frown.gif

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

Quarto said:
PopsiclePete: I was wondering when somebody might point that out
smile.gif

Hey, I see you've added to your sig too
smile.gif
. I keep forgetting to enable it
frown.gif

He he, well, anyone who's cool <<cough>>Earthworm<<cough>>
biggrin.gif
already knows tha Win9X is a GUI, so why point that out?

Actually, Earthworm, there's really nothing cool about knowing it's a mere GUI on top of DOS. In order to be cool, you also need to know how to use DOS
tongue.gif

Quarto said:
Actually, Earthworm, there's really nothing cool about knowing it's a mere GUI on top of DOS. In order to be cool, you also need to know how to use DOS
tongue.gif

Now Quarto, not all of us know somone that could teach us DOS.
smile.gif
I took Comp Applications in hopes to do some programing and to learn a little about DOS, but all they tought us was using Win95/Word/Excell/Power Point.
frown.gif

Also, technicly I do know how to use DOS, since Win9X is just an interface for it, I'm using DOS all the time. Even right now.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Gen. Patton

Back