'Scenes of McAuliffe' WIP Thread

BradMick

Vice Admiral
Alrighty, i've finally decided to commit to this rather lengthy project of mine. 'Scenes of McAuliffe' will be an eventual series of stills which will show the kilrathi attack and various other scenes from the book Action Stations. As part of this project, i'll be designing all the ships which are not seen in the universe, and taking the ones which are in the universe and making them look like they belong in the Wing Commander movie. Now, i've chosen to do this for one reason and one reason alone, to create visual continuity. Don't get me wrong, I love all the ships of the WC universe, but it's my artistic opinion that all the ships should have the same feel, as opposed to the original super rounded ships of the sprites to the boxy early 3d models of the later WC games. Some may disagree, and even myself I have to admit it's a tough decision to stick to, but in the end I think it will help with the continuity of the scenes.

Anyway, with that said, i'll put this out to. This project will take a very, very long time. Maybe not as long as I or anyone else may think, but it will take a considerable amount of time. Please do not beg or plead or demand any kind of time table or expected release. All models will be released as I finish them in LW format for anyone who wants them. Those with other packages will have to do their own converting as I don't have the time, and it's a pain in the but as well.

And now, finally to some WIP images. The Concordia Class re-imagined :)

15-303602.jpg

15-303568.jpg

Brad Mick

I like the concept Brad Mick, and it looks like it will come out nicely. One thing I would say is if you redesign the Tiger's Claw and the Concordia (battleship) that you might want to make them look like a cross between the game and movie versions. I think most people here prefer the original Tiger's Claw to the movie version, but a good melding of the two, like you are doing with the Concordia class carrier should be well recieved. Also, what is that fighter supposed to be, the configuration looks familiar, maybe an updated hornet? Also, how about a better Rapier then the POS in the movie?

a word to the wise brad, deciding to remake the ships so they inevitably look like the tigersclaw in superwc is NOT necessarily a good idea, many people prefer the wc2 style of animation :)

the fighter was one of many MANY sketches for the wildcat.

And as far as i know the rapier wasn't around, nor was the claw in Action Stations. I could be wrong about the Claw though.

Confed Fighters during Action Stations that I can remember off the top of my head:

Hurricane - Space/Atmosphere
Wildcat - Pure Space interceptor

And if the claw is in, I won't be doing the Super Wing Commander look. I'll take her and make her look like she belongs in the WC movie. The idea is to take the cannon ships and redesign them with a certain visual look. So they don't all look out of place. And, like I said. A tough choice to make, but ultimately necessary.

Brad Mick

And as far as i know the rapier wasn't around, nor was the claw in Action Stations. I could be wrong about the Claw though.

While there were earlier Bengal-class strike carriers (utility carriers?) in service at the time of the McAuliffe Ambush, the Tiger's Claw herself was not comissioned until 2644 - a full decade later.

The CF-117 Rapier (the so-called "movie" Rapier) was around in 2634... the F-44 Rapier II was still twenty years away.

The idea is to take the cannon ships and redesign them

One n, people. When Hamlet says God hath fixed his canon, he's not talking about gun repair.

heh heh, thanks LOAF.

Now, i don't plan on doing the movie rapier...mainly because i don't much like it...but if it's not in action stations, it's not going in. i really want to keep it as close to the book as possible.

and for those who worry about what the claw will look like, i did a sketch today, and here she be :)

16-359077.jpg

Brad Mick

BradMick said:
...but if it's not in action stations, it's not going in.. . claw will look like, i did a sketch today...
Wow, contridicting yourself in the same post ;). To reiterate what LOAF said, no Tiger's Claw in 2634. Bengals, yes. . . TC, no.

C-ya

wow...typo is what that was. yeah, i understood the claw wasn't in...i meant to say bengal. heh heh, oh well.

Brad Mick

Nice idea Brad.

I would be careful about how much you tweak the concordia class, if anything you might want to think about taking some features away, as you are looking at the first ship of the class and a lot of mods probably went into it over the ensueing 30 years of war.

From what I read in Action Stations I was under the impression that the Concordia was destroyed after the Battle of McAullife and the Concordia of years later was named in honor of that ship.

I just thought that the two were of different classes, i.e. different designs anyway.

Then its not exactly the Concorida "reimagined" if we've never seen it before. I figure as long as it looks pre-war era-ish it'll work. I assume you'll be modelling the Ark Royal and possibly the Coral Sea, any sketches of what they'll look like? Or will you just slap different names on the Concorida model. (I'm not even sure if they're the same class or not)

But we've pretty much seen every Concordia. The only Concordia we haven't actually seen is the original ship of the Concordia class, and since the Lexington was of the Concordia class they would look pretty much identical.

i've got a couple sketches of the other ships, nothing finalized as of yet. been busy with getting some projects done for the college promo video thing. hopefully soon i'll be able to get back to the connie.

and no, i won't be re-using the connie model...that'd be a cop out unless the ships are all the same class, at which point i'd vary something about the physical model on each :)

Brad Mick

here's a looong overdue update. recently started rebuilding the connie. using maya and lw, obj export rocks. anyway, here she be. obviously a long way to go yet, but much nicer thus far IMO.

Brad Mick

Attachments

• connie_wip_03.JPG
    connie_wip_03.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 239
okay, a new pre-vis concept model. i'm much happier with the changes made. and a note, this is NOT the completed model by any means, just a quick 'this is what she'll look like only with smoothing and detailing. so, imagine the smoothed version of this, and you've got the general idea.

Brad Mick

Attachments

• pre_vis_01.jpg
    pre_vis_01.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 224
  • pre_vis_02.jpg
    pre_vis_02.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 193
Back