Scenario 2 Comment Thread

I've used both Avacar's and Pip's override turns to get the combat phase done. We have 8 hours left before I leave, so I doubt we'll see the end phase. Probably will have to wait until May 20... :(

Wow, sorry Guilherme. I did not see that coming.

"We are gathered here today to bid farewell to one of the Confederation’s finest pilots. I did not know Guilherme very well, but he was a dedicated and skilled pilot. His death is the Confederation’s loss. Our friend is not the only Confederation pilot who has died in the line of duty. Death is a fear each of us must face, everyday aboard this ship. But we cannot forget why we are here, and what we are fighting for. Many pilots have given their lives for our cause, and we will continue the fight in their memory."

And the destroyers managed to miss each other once. :)

Question: Will the missiles passing through the flak squares make flak rolls? I.e. Will Garga 2 benefit in anyway by being surrounded by flak?

Question: Will the missiles passing through the flak squares make flak rolls? I.e. Will Garga 2 benefit in anyway by being surrounded by flak?
Answer: Yes. ;) A Target Roll of 8+ will destroy a missile, and since there are two flak markers on Garga 2's hex, I will roll twice against each missile entering/passing it.

Answer: Yes. ;) A Target Roll of 8+ will destroy a missile, and since there are two flak markers on Garga 2's hex, I will roll twice against each missile entering/passing it.

Corollary: If a ship launching missiles is hit by flak at the same time as it launches the missile, does the missile have to roll against flak?

Corollary: If a ship launching missiles is hit by flak at the same time as it launches the missile, does the missile have to roll against flak?

I would argue yes. I seem to remember launching torpedoes and losing them barely two seconds off the rail in WC2, when the flak got crazy. (It's why I always waited for the last possible second to launch torps, myself.)

Why is the Bravo 2 HS targetting Skabak 2? The HS was fired targetting Garga 1. It shouldn't reacquire a new target until next turn (more to the point, I didn't think HS's were smart enough to acquire new targets...)

Claw Marks tells us that a HS will target the nearest heat source if it loses its original target. So I expect the HS to be able to reacquire a new target. I also wouldn't expect the missile to have to wait until its next turn for reacquiring.

But I expected the HS missile to be in the rear of the new target in order to be able to lock on it.

So, yes, I too am curious how the HS missile could lock onto Skabak 2. But I guess we have to wait until May 19th to get an answer.

And since it has nothing to lock on right now (and according to the manual, it was its only chance (it should, unlike IR or FF,2) last just the current turn), I'd treat it either as a lost and can't-be-resolved missile or a DF (without adding the pilot skill of the attacker ofc;), it wasn't aimed)

Sorry, I managed to overlook this thread. ;) It was an oversight - the HS missile is still targeting Garga 1. Don't ask me why I typed in Skabak 2, I had probably other things on my mind. It also won't lock on Skabak 2 (wrong fire arc anyway), so it's just lost in space.

Yeah, what about HS in general in TacOps: do they reacquire lock when presented with the juicy aft of any fighter?

I vote yes.

It could target the next best heat source, but there the problems start: Which one emits more heat, a Broadsword running at 100 kps or an Epee at 500 kps? A Sabre on afterburners or a Kamekh at full speed?
I'd have to introduce some sort of heat signature for each craft, modified by the craft's current speed. Which would make things a bit more difficult...
Or we could just say HS missiles head for the nearest target presenting its rear (engine) arc.

Waiting for QuailPilot (or his team leader) - whether he's releasing a chaff pod or not. I think I'll wait until Friday, but then it's definitely time to move on with this scenario.

Back