sarah connor chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
"alternate timeline" is just a sugar-coated way of saying "we're not considering it" so that way if conflicts do occur, they can just write it off as being part of an "alternate timeline" instead of the one the show is taking place in.

Which is what I just said. It doesn't have anything to do with James Cameron or what people online argue is official.

Yeah, T3 was never destined to be a classic like the first two, but to my mind it survived because it didn't try to be.
It was action packed, it was funny, it kept you entertained. It also had more relatable characters in T2. One of the reasons I dislike Alien 3 is they took the tired route of dehumaising Ripley, its hard to care too much what happens to anyone in that film, and killing newt at the beginning actually takes something away from the second. Plus after hundreds of Aliens in the second, 3 was somewhat anti-climax.

Alien 3 tried to continue the style of the originals, but did everything a little bit worse, T3 didn't even try, and to my mind was the better for it.

Yeah, T3 was never destined to be a classic like the first two, but to my mind it survived because it didn't try to be.

In T3's defense, it couldn't be the classic that the second Terminator movie was. The first movie was simply a fun action movie that a lot of people forgot about until T2 came out. That is - the reason that the first Terminator movie is now a genre classic is because it rides on the coat tails of its sequel's popularity (even though T2 is little more than the first movie, carefully rewritten).

Alien 3 tried to continue the style of the originals, but did everything a little bit worse, T3 didn't even try, and to my mind was the better for it.

Alien3 had a long development cycle that hurt the film. The original script by William Gibson was thrown out (thank god), there was a great deal of company intervention where they threatened to take the movie from David Fincher (and many years later did - with the DVD expanded cut of the movie), Elliot Goldenthal had to write and rewrite material after carefully working on the score for over a year, the some of the Alien effects were subpar even for their time.

However, Alien3 is a fair success in that its simply a redux of the first movie's premise. It ends with the right idea but is followed with one of the worst franchise installments I've ever seen (though not without its own strengths). So, in the end, Alien3 is remembered as being not the most original (Alien), the most exicting (Aliens) or the worst (Alien Resurrection) in the series - but the most "forgotten".

I actually never really understood why people don't like Alien 3 - I certainly don't see what would make it worse than the first two. Sure, it's different... but Aliens is also hugely different to the original (and, while a really fun film, it definitely has a lot less in common with the original than Alien 3 does).

...But as for Resurrection, yeah, let's not talk about that :p.

It's more or less the fact that they uncerimoniusly killed off Newt and Hicks, which is already a large put-off. Personally, Alien 3 is okay, but the SE almost puts it on par with the first two, if in a different way.

It's more or less the fact that they uncerimoniusly killed off Newt and Hicks, which is already a large put-off.

There was no way to work around it - while Michael Bien looks now like he did in 1986, Carrie Henn would've aged 6 years - from 10 to 16. (And you know that if they recasted the role, people would bitch anyway)

There was no way to work around it - while Michael Bien looks now like he did in 1986, Carrie Henn would've aged 6 years - from 10 to 16. (And you know that if they recasted the role, people would bitch anyway)

They could have been more original than putting ripley awakening from suspended animation straight to meeting the aliens perhaps?

If I remember correctly, Biehn was quite pissed that he got axed.

But, yeah, I don't espcially think that anybody though could make a Alien sequal that lived up to Aliens. Alien 3 is one of the few times that the special edition rreally makes the movie a lot better.(Although the restored scenes do have some fuzzy audio)

They could have been more original than putting ripley awakening from suspended animation straight to meeting the aliens perhaps?

Or any number of other situations. The original William Gibson screenplay had Hicks surviving - and Ripley dying in her cryo-chamber when a search party accidentally torches an alien with a flame-thrower and sets the entire room on fire.

The question is - which of any zillion of other possibilities is "better"? At least Alien3 ended with Ripley *dying*.

If I remember correctly, Biehn was quite pissed that he got axed.

I don't think he was "axed" - so much as "written out". (He wasn't on contract for the following movie, because lord knows who is available whenever the movie is made and there is a history of many years between the franchise's installments)

But, yeah, I don't espcially think that anybody though could make a Alien sequal that lived up to Aliens.

I think its entirely possible - given that so many people said the *exact* same thing about a sequel to Alien. (What it could be though? I don't know.)

I think its entirely possible - given that so many people said the *exact* same thing about a sequel to Alien. (What it could be though? I don't know.)

Well, you could make that arguement about Aliens from a horror standpoint. It's generally agreed on that Aliens definately isn't as scary as the first Alien.

Then again, comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

Or any number of other situations. The original William Gibson screenplay had Hicks surviving - and Ripley dying in her cryo-chamber when a search party accidentally torches an alien with a flame-thrower and sets the entire room on fire.

The question is - which of any zillion of other possibilities is "better"? At least Alien3 ended with Ripley *dying*.

There was a lot of potential for backstory there, an intelligent movie. We don't know the origin of these aliens, nor the ones who created the ship that the original eggs were found in.
T3 moved Terminator forwards, heck it had the courage to bring about judgement day, showed the birth of skynet, (however much people might complain about how they did it). Alien 3 just felt like a bad remix of the first two (but I haven't seen the SE, I will make a point of buying it tomorrow, I already have the first two).

There was a lot of potential for backstory there, an intelligent movie. We don't know the origin of these aliens, nor the ones who created the ship that the original eggs were found in.

The day we get that is the day we get a movie that ruins all the other Alien movies.

Alien 3 just felt like a bad remix of the first two (but I haven't seen the SE, I will make a point of buying it tomorrow, I already have the first two).

I'd say rent the DC of Alien3. Its really rough around the edges since FOX didn't put a lot of money into it and Fincher had nothing to do with it.

Seen it(the topic at hand),

I think the story lacks "canon"(oooh, familiar theme), while the classic "come with me if you want to live" is inthere.

1. I'm confused about cameron(the girl), she clearly isn't a model T-1000(the liquid guy), or a TX(terminatrix), she appears to be t-800-based, but appears more intelligent then the T-800 models she faces though.

2. they have been building time machines since the 1960's from scientists they sent back in time??(oh yeah, and improvised nuclear handarmarments??)

3. They feature the typical time-transfer from the terminator, but it only means they get all their clothes ripped off.(here comes the oold "so why not shove a cow a high-powered railgun up her ass for transport?")

4. the "terminator"-dudes, walk like arnold, but come on, the science-teacher-terminator cuts out a gun from his upper leg, an everyday gun, couldn't he just buy a shotgun from s-mart or something?.. well at least they did not fake an austrian accent...

5 I like the legacy of the driving of the terminator 2 car... have not checked the license plate yet though...

I honestly hope this series ends better up then "the crow", or "highlander"

I honestly hope this series ends better up then "the crow", or "highlander"

The Crow lasted one season, Highlander lasted for many, many years and was far superior than most (possibly all) the movies.

I want to the discuss 2 points about T3

1: The "Judgment Day is inevitable" line can be interperted in two ways. A: There was never any stopping Judgment Day. B: it was once possible to stop Judgment Day but at that point it's too late.

2: The SKYNET is software idea is John Connor's assumption as Judgment Day is happening with absloutly no proof to back it up.

1: The "Judgment Day is inevitable" line can be interperted in two ways. A: There was never any stopping Judgment Day.

Point A is said almost verbatim in Terminator 3. There is no interpretation to be made at this point in time.

The SKYNET is software idea is John Connor's assumption as Judgment Day is happening with absloutly no proof to back it up.

Explain this, please. I'm not sure if I get what you're saying...

I have to say the whole "it can't be stopped" brings up a good point. John Connor exists because of the war, therfore the war has to happen for him to exist. If they didnt send Reese back, he would never had been born. Really it should be keeping him alive at least until judgement day happened that's skynet's insurance policy.

The Crow lasted one season, Highlander lasted for many, many years and was far superior than most (possibly all) the movies.

Agreed. I own all four of the Highlander movies and all six seasons of the series. While all the movies are good (with the possible exception of Highlander 2) the only film that even came close to being as good as the series was Endgame.

I can't wait for Highlander: The Source to come out next month!

I have to say the whole "it can't be stopped" brings up a good point. John Connor exists because of the war, therfore the war has to happen for him to exist. If they didnt send Reese back, he would never had been born. Really it should be keeping him alive at least until judgement day happened that's skynet's insurance policy.

Well, SkyNet wasn't sending Terminators back in time to keep John from preventing Judgement Day, it was sending Terminators back in time because John was successfully leading a human rebellion that was pushing SkyNet's forces back, and SkyNet knew that defeat was imminent. So it sent the original Terminator back in time to kill Sarah Connor before John could be born, thus eliminating him from the timeline and possibly securing SkyNet domination of Earth. After the humans succeeded in defeating SkyNet in the future, they realized that a Terminator had been sent back in time, so Reese was sent back after it to protect Sarah from it.

The point wasn't to keep Judgement Day from happening, but rather to ensure that humanity would still be ultimately successful in reclaiming the Earth by keeping John alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back