"Saga of Wing Commanders" question.

LarkInFlight

Rear Admiral
Hello! I`d like to know something about saga of Wing Commanders. I think I have almost every game of Wing Commander kind ( with the exception of SuperWing for SNES - it looks weird :p ). I`d like to know if there were some "special" Wings releases of those games;

Wing C. 1 - was it ever realised with full speech? I`ve never found something like it. I only have one with full special ops included.

Wing C. 2- I have deluxe edition but speech is only included in introduction, then in game the text is written (in "cutscenes"). Was there a full speech edition like in Privateer`s case?

Armada- I have only 3.5 disks version. I know that there is a CD version of Armada. What is the difference betwen them?

Wing 3 and 4 did not have any spec. ops, did they?:p

I`d like to say I`m not a native English speaker :p then if I wrote something wrong in Your language than You have to excuse me :D

And I ask You Guys because if You don`t know this, then nobody knows!:D

Hello! I`d like to know something about saga of Wing Commanders. I think I have almost every game of Wing Commander kind ( with the exception of SuperWing for SNES - it looks weird ). I`d like to know if there were some "special" Wings releases of those games;

You're probably thinking of Super Wing Commander for the 3DO and Macintosh. The SNES version of Wing Commander is just called Wing Commander, and it's similar to the PC release.

Wing C. 1 - was it ever realised with full speech? I`ve never found something like it. I only have one with full special ops included.

Never for the PC. One port does have full speech: the SegaCD version of the game.

Super Wing Commander, mentioned above (for the 3DO and Macintosh) also has full speech... but also has entirely new graphics.

Wing C. 2- I have deluxe edition but speech is only included in introduction, then in game the text is written (in "cutscenes"). Was there a full speech edition like in Privateer`s case?

No, unfortunately no full speech version of Wing Commander II was ever made. My understanding is that the game is 'open' to a full speech version -- that is to say it's designed so Origin can easily plug speech into it... but a CD version with spoken dialogue was never produced.

Armada- I have only 3.5 disks version. I know that there is a CD version of Armada. What is the difference betwen them?

The only difference is that you can do a minimum install of the CD version - the actual games and their graphics/sounds/etc. are identical (and saving ten megabytes of disk space in 2005 isn't as important as it was in 1994).

Armada on disk and Armada on CD were released on the same day (I believe, also, that Armada was the last disk game Origin released.)

Wing 3 and 4 did not have any spec. ops, did they?

No, they did not. Would have been cool, though, but probably too expensive to film new video segments for them.

I`d like to say I`m not a native English speaker then if I wrote something wrong in Your language than You have to excuse me

And I ask You Guys because if You don`t know this, then nobody knows!

Thanks! Your English is just fine -- and it's decidedly better than my Polish. :)

No, they did not. Would have been cool, though, but probably too expensive to film new video segments for them.
Well, they made the Prophecy special ops, right? Wing 5 was full of Video cutscenes too and it wasn`t a problem.. :)

Thanks for the answer!

Hehe, yeah, but I'll bet the lack of video lead to the decision to give it away instead of sell it :)

Secret Ops does not contain any FMV.
\
Yes I know because I played it too.. I ment, they made Wing Prophecy full of videos and then they made secret ops without them. The video cucscenes were not a problem.

LarkInFlight said:
\
Yes I know because I played it too.. I ment, they made Wing Prophecy full of videos and then they made secret ops without them. The video cucscenes were not a problem.
Except Prophecy had a much better graphics engine. Going from uber expensive film to the Wc3/4 graphics engine would have been a far larger leap if they had tried to do the same with those games.

You have to take the time period into consideration.

At the time period these games were released, FMV was *the* thing to use in games if you wanted any sort of consumer recognition.

Notice that EA didn't try to sell Secret Ops at all outside of the Prophecy Gold bundle. At the time, Secret Ops would not have been taken very seriously in the market outside of Wing Commander fans.

Nomad Terror said:
Notice that EA didn't try to sell Secret Ops at all outside of the Prophecy Gold bundle. At the time, Secret Ops would not have been taken very seriously in the market outside of Wing Commander fans.

I wouldn't go as far as all that but space sims were on the decline. Secret Ops was (thankfully) packaged with Prophecy Gold, yes, but I don't see how that has to do with being "taken seriously". Theres a number of Half-Life add-ons that were packaged with later editions.

Well, the other advantage in the CD version of armada is that floppies tend to die. And are slow. And demand disk swapping. I have both, I use the CD version to install it.

Well, ChrisReid. Your Wing Commander website is too rich to find thouse things! I really was trying!
Well, the other advantage in the CD version of armada is that floppies tend to die. And are slow. And demand disk swapping. I have both, I use the CD version to install it.
My floppies are doing just fine! :)

Well, the other advantage in the CD version of armada is that floppies tend to die. And are slow. And demand disk swapping. I have both, I use the CD version to install it.]
And I have a copy of these just in case.. hehe :)

I remember buy wing commander aramada back home but they were in disk sets and there was no CD release for it only from Wing Commander 3,4 and propehcy when they came out. I never heard about that one.
Oh just curious what is the official list of all the wing commander games ?

Wing Commander 1
Wing Commander 1 - Secret Missions
Wing Commander 2 - Vengence of the Kilrathi
Wing Commander 2 - Secret Missions (what ever they named it)
Wing Commander Armada
Privateer
Priavteer Righteous Fire
Wing Commander Academy
Privateer 2 - The Darkening
Wing Commander 3 - Heart of the Tiger
Wing Commander 4 - The Price of Freedom
Wing Commander Prophecy
Wing Commander Prophecy Secret Ops

Is there anything I am missing out??

I remember buy wing commander aramada back home but they were in disk sets and there was no CD release for it only from Wing Commander 3,4 and propehcy when they came out. I never heard about that one.

The CD and diskette versions of Armada were released on the same day (Sept. 22nd, 1994).

Wing Commander 1
Wing Commander 1 - Secret Missions
Wing Commander 2 - Vengence of the Kilrathi
Wing Commander 2 - Secret Missions (what ever they named it)
Wing Commander Armada
Privateer
Priavteer Righteous Fire
Wing Commander Academy
Privateer 2 - The Darkening
Wing Commander 3 - Heart of the Tiger
Wing Commander 4 - The Price of Freedom
Wing Commander Prophecy
Wing Commander Prophecy Secret Ops

Is there anything I am missing out??

Well... I guess it depends what you're looking for -- there's lots of ports and such (SNES, SegaCD, PSX, 3DO, GBA, FM Towns, PC98, Amiga, CD32, etc.) and then lots of oddities (the CCG, Proving Grounds, etc.).

The Wing Commander II addons were 'Special Operations' (1 & 2). There's no 'Prophecy' in Secret Ops' name - it's just Wing Commander Secret Ops.

the list I had were the official games release right?
what were the console one release?? ie super wing commandr on edo something? that was wing commander 1 right??
what is ccg like and proving grounds???

the list I had were the official games release right?
what were the console one release?? ie super wing commandr on edo something? that was wing commander 1 right??
what is ccg like and proving grounds???

The CCG is the Wing Commander Customizable Card Game. It was released in 1995, between Wing Commander III and Wing Commander IV. You can read more about it here: https://www.wcnews.com/wcccg/

There were lots of console ports.

Wing Commander I: SNES, FM Towns, SegaCD, Amiga, CD32
The Secret Missions (Stand Alone): SNES, FM Towns
Wing Commander II: SNES (Unreleased), FM Towns
Armada: PC98, FM Towns
Wing Commander III: 3DO, PSX, Macintosh
Wing Commander IV: PSX, Macintosh
Wing Commander Prophecy: GBA

Super Wing Commander is generally considered distinct from Wing Commander I because it has all new graphics, speech and a different addon. SWC was released for the 3DO and Macintosh.

Proving Grounds was the addon for Wing Commander Armada. It was released for free online, just like Secret Ops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Back