Running Privateer in DOS with a SB16 PCI card and still have sound problems...

Johnl12, what kind of machine do you use for DOS games? A 486? I'm thinking of buying an old machine off eBay (they are around $20), and I'd like to know what you've had the most success with.

That would work. I have a old IBM 330 P60 w/16 MB Ram 500MB HDD. I would suggest getting a old Logitech mouse. You can use the cloaking.exe to hide the mouse driver from memory. I think the big issue is the Video card. I am using the MB's video display. I one problem is the VESA drivers.

These old systems may not have VESA drivers or have a older version. I got my from SciTech www.scitechsoft.com. I've also seen 8mb PCI 2/3d card for under 20 bucks at http://www.centralcomputer.com/. As you most likely know most DOS games except for games like Duke Nukem(?) Don't need 3D cards. I read that XP can play Duke Nukem(?). (Sorry about my spelling but I never played this game.)

Just look at the games you have and see what they need. I would get no less then a 486DX w/16 RAM. A hard drive between 400MB to 1 GB. I have all my DOS games install now.

One more thing to think about, the CD-ROM player. Older players can't read RW CD's. Most likely any CD-ROM player that comes with 486 or up to a P2 class machines would not be able to read them. If you are into burning CD's be aware of this. RW CD-ROM did not become common till P3 class PCs.

Thanks for the info, and thanks for all the help you gave me. You seem to do a lot of Privateer troubleshooting in this forum and I thank you for being patient :D

By the way, just FYI... I assume you meant Duke Nukem 3D when you mentioned Duke Nukem (spelling was correct by the way). Actually, you wouldn't need a 3D card to play this game. Duke 3D was more of a pseudo-3D game... like Doom, Blood, and all other first-person shooters before Quake, Duke 3D was completely software-rendered and did not yet have the capability of using a hardware-rendering API. I used to play Duke 3D back in the day on my 486 66MHz with a plain 2MB video card, and it worked fine. Man, I wish I still had that machine:)

Back