Run All Old WC Games in DOSBox Walkthrough

Not really, and they're both kinda too heavy for current machines and DOSBox. TRy searching this forum for tips on how to run WC3 and 4.

I know for sure that WC4 can be easily run in winxp. Easier than WCP, in fact.

i triied wc3 on default dos promt, said something about config sys not being specified for 25 files
and dosbox says that the "EMS driver is not VCPI compliant"
i haven't used dos in 10 or so years, what the heck does that mean?

Err hello,

I have been able to launch WC3 with Dosbox following post#12 indications (thanks) :). But while in dogfight, WC3 crashes after a short while. Any particular reason?

Tried without sounds, didn't fix the problem.

Thanks

Chevieblazer said:
i triied wc3 on default dos promt, said something about config sys not being specified for 25 files
and dosbox says that the "EMS driver is not VCPI compliant"

Either put files=25 in your config.sys or set ems=false in dosbox.conf. There's dozens and dozens of threads here addressing that.

Unregistered said:
I have been able to launch WC3 with Dosbox following post#12 indications (thanks) :). But while in dogfight, WC3 crashes after a short while. Any particular reason?

Tried without sounds, didn't fix the problem.

Actual dosbox crashes are pretty rare. How fast is your computer and how many cycles are you running the game at?

CPU speed: AMD 3200+

Dosconf CPU settings:
[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=30000
cycleup=500
cycledown=500

Hmm. A 3200 is a little bit borderline for WC3 emulation.. but the 30,000 cycles is probably too high. The computer might be choking from the CPU overload. 30,000 might be what eventually we'll all need to properly smoothly emulate WC3 in DOSBox, but I think a 3 GHz computer might only be able to stomach 15-20,000.

Okay, thanks for the tips...

Managed to solve my problem by switching core settings from dynamic to normal. No more crash, but slowdowns in dogfight. Will make the change and see how I can fine tune that.

The problem is the dynamic core. It isn't 100% stable.
@Chris: With dynamic core you can set the frames as high as you want, it will autoset them to whatever your PC can handle automatically (up to the maximum you supplied). So the 30000 would be ok if the core would be stable enough.

Problems with WC2

Darn, I was so close in enjoying this game!

Everytime I experience something with some cutscene (in WC2), my DOSBox just crashes. Anything wrong? Here's the specs:

DOSBox 0.63
Windows XP
2.4 GHz Pentium
128 VRAM
512 DDR RAM

I'm cool even if there's sound. What my prob?

Hey... I just got the original dos version of WC3 and I am trying to run it on my Windows XP using Dosbox. I am not especially computer savvy. Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, but I'm not sure where. I've copied the cd's to my hard drive. I go to dosbox and mount the c drive... but i don't understand what to do from there to run the game. I have no idea what I'm supposed to type. If someone could help me out with this I would be very appreciative. Thanks!!

Unregistered said:
Darn, I was so close in enjoying this game!

Everytime I experience something with some cutscene (in WC2), my DOSBox just crashes. Anything wrong? Here's the specs:

What version of wc2? Is it the deluxe CD with the Speech pack? It's possible that its a sound card conflict if it is crashing during the cutscenes because it's trying to load Digital audio. But This wouldnt happen in every cutscene but most notably the very first sequence (deluxe ed. or floppy) has speech so it just might be the problem.

Unregistered said:
Everytime I experience something with some cutscene (in WC2), my DOSBox just crashes. Anything wrong?

Are you using the loadfix command listed in our instructions?

acestarfighter said:
Hey... I just got the original dos version of WC3 and I am trying to run it on my Windows XP using Dosbox. I am not especially computer savvy. Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, but I'm not sure where. I've copied the cd's to my hard drive. I go to dosbox and mount the c drive... but i don't understand what to do from there to run the game. I have no idea what I'm supposed to type. If someone could help me out with this I would be very appreciative. Thanks!!

Did you mount your C drive or did you mount the folder with the WC3 discs as the C drive? You basically need to do both. You need to understand that you're simulating a DOS environment like what would have been present on a computer originally installing the game. Mount your hard drive, mount the folder with the disc contents as a CD-ROM, then go to that CD folder and install the game by typing WC3 -i

Thank's Chris.... I'm getting a little bit further now I do believe... let me tell you what I've got. I mount my c drive.. so that's all well and good. And then you said to mount the folder with the disc contents as a cd-rom. So I typed "cd wc3". I'm guessing this was the right thing to type. It took me to c:\wc3>. So then i typed WC3-i.. then it says that's an illegal command. Did I do something wrong somewhere? Thank you for your help and patience.

acestarfighter said:
I mount my c drive.. so that's all well and good. And then you said to mount the folder with the disc contents as a cd-rom. So I typed "cd wc3". I'm guessing this was the right thing to type. It took me to c:\wc3>. So then i typed WC3-i.. then it says that's an illegal command. Did I do something wrong somewhere?

Well, there needs to be a space between WC3 and -i, but I still don't know if that will work with the setup you have. You're mounting the drive and then looking at the folder on that drive. It doesn't seem like you're mounting the folder at all. It might work, provided you install the game to a different directory, but if it doesn't, you'll also need to do something like mount d c:\wc3 -t cd-rom, then switch to the D drive and run WC3 -i. Be aware that you've already got contents in the C:\WC3 folder, so if you go to try to install there, you might cause a problem. You might need to create and mount C:\wc3disc1, C:\wc3disc2 and so on (or try everything in a C:\wc3disc folder).

Alright... so i mount the c drive. Then i go to the c drive and type mount d c:\wc3 -i cd-rom. Then it says Drive D is mounted as local directory c:\wc3\. So then I go to the d drive. At D:\> I type wc3 -i. Then it says illegal command: wc3. What am I still missing?

thanks

ok... so i had copied all four discs under four seperate folders under a WC3 folder in c drive. So i tried mounting wc3disc1 from c drive and it said there was no directory. So i moved it out from the wc3 folder to the c drive directory. I then mounted this in dosbox as mount d c:\wc3disc1 -i cd-rom. It then tells me drive d is mounted as local directory c:\wc3disc1. I go to the d drive and then type in wc3 -i and this message appears:

ORIGIN SYSTEMS DPMI LOADER. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
PRODUCED BY BLUE MU PRODUCTIONS, LAST REVISION: NOVEMBER 23, 1994

EMS driver is not VCPI compliant.

So what does this mean and what can I do about it?

Thank you

Ok... so i went do dosbox.conf and changed ems=false. After doing that when I went back to dosbox it sent me to the installation menu for WC3. First of all, my joystick wouldn't calibrate correctly. So I just calibrated it the best I could and went on. Everything else seemed alright so i went to save setting and start game. When i did this i got this message:

Open failed on file:..\..\data\gameflow\loadout.iff

It said that this error is the result of a bad cd-rom read.
What now?

When you're mounting something as a cd-rom, it's -t in the middle, NOT -i. The -i is only to trigger the installation and has nothing to do with dosbox mounting here.

Ok... thanks... that fixed it. So i went through the installation... got into the game... but there's no sound. And my joystick works terribly... any suggestions? Thank you for your help.

Make sure you're properly setting up the sound in the installation program. DOSBox defaults to IRQ7, port 220, DMA 1. Always try to include as much information as possible, such as the name of the joystick you have and the specific method you're connecting with. It clogs up the threads if we have to go back and forth asking for basic information. Try the alternate joystick routine patch. http://download.wcnews.com/files/wing3/wc3joy.exe

Back