Run All Old WC Games in DOSBox Walkthrough

Privateer 1 on CD
with XP, AMD 2.4 G, 10 g's of hard drive space

RandomManA said:
I have tried everything I can think of, but I can't get the game to even INSTALL using DosBox, or VDMS, or compatibility modes, nothing works. It tries to determine the speed of my computer (the part where it'd normally show the Victory rotating lengthwise), instead, the screen blanks, and comes up again with those words I've come to despise: Exception 13.
Claims it's a bad CD read. Bollocks. My CD's are cleaner than Saint Mary's underwear.

Did you explicitly tell dosbox that your CD drive was a CD drive? You can't just mount a CD-ROM in dosbox, nor can you just point to the drive letter. If you already did this or don't want to do this, try copying the contents of the CD(s) to the hard drive and mount/point to the directory they're in.

Unregistered said:
The Problem I've having is, first of all installing Privateer on XP using DosBox, I have 10 G free but for some reason the disk space avaible appears to be -1. How can I solve this problem

Same thing, copy all the contents to the CD and just run a setup to configure the soundcard options.

Well, I've never had a problem with DosBox reading from my D drive before. I've played Under a Killing Moon several times successfully, and that, like WC3, uses four CD's. But now you've got me thinking. The drive's a DVD-ROM drive, and I heard somewhere else that the file system works differently. But, if that were the problem, why would I be able to run UAKM so successfully in the past? Wouldn't it have exactly the same problems?

I'll try copying all files to my HD, then installing from there, and let you know how it goes.

Aaron

Excellent. Installation successful. I can only imagine that the difficulty was caused by the fact that I use a DVD-ROM drive. I've heard somewhere that the file system on CD-ROM and a DVD-ROM drives works differently, maybe that was it, maybe not. In either event, the game's installed, now to see how she plays.

Aaron

Ok the installation worked, now I'm getting an error that says,
"Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option, if it is replace the options "NOEMS" with "RAM".

Whats does this mean and how do I solve this problem

Ok It finally works, thank you I finally figured it out, I just need to figure out how to get my sidewinder forcefeed back 2 to work in privater, any suguestions?
NightWolf

type mem in dosbox

Unregistered said:
Ok the installation worked, now I'm getting an error that says,
"Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option, if it is replace the options "NOEMS" with "RAM".

Whats does this mean and how do I solve this problem

Can you type "mem" in Dosbox to see if you have expanded memory (=EMS)
(extended is XMS!)

Confed said:
Can you type "mem" in Dosbox to see if you have expanded memory (=EMS)
(extended is XMS!)

Yeah, you want to go in and edit your dosbox.conf file and change the ems=false to ems=true (if you previously changed it to get Armada or something to work).

I cannot get this game to run for the life of me
ERROR SCREEN

Memory: Original Current Used
NEAR 29516 28968 530
FAR 376252 341020 35232
HIGH 3456384 3495840 -39456

Fatal Error.

Error Code: D002-FFFF
Program halted by code.
JEMM unloaded.

Why is my HIMEM going bss aackwards and why won't the game run? I can't increase memory enough, I know that because I set the limit to 512 MB DDR RAM avail. after a few tests under the provided settings for DosBOX.

I am running DOSbox ver 4.0 under SVGA emulation. Is there a problem with my configuration or is Privateer unplayable under Windows 2000?

Well, I would expect numerous random errors such as this under Windows 2000. I'm also not familiar with "ver 4.0." The current DOSBox version is something like 0.63. Cranking the available memory up all the way for old DOS games can be a bad idea. The original Privateer choked and would corrupt the sound if you allocated more than 32 megs of EMS memory. 8 or 16 megs is ideal. Did you try executing with the loadfix command and varying the number?

Yeah. I just loaded 512 RAM on it and it told me 'insufficient memory.' =P

So I'll downgrade to about 32000 Kb allocate and post results in a second.

Okay... so when I ramp up the MB to 32 I get the same error when I go above the 4 MB allocate. When I reach 8 MB of RAM, I get the error message above, when below, the game tells me I don't have enough memory to run.

Am I missing a file or something then? I downloaded the game directly off of the ~~~~~~~~~, so I thought I grabbed the whole archive. Am I wrong to think so?

Well, if you downloaded it, it's very possible something is missing or corrupt. If you just want a free game, the Privateer Remake was released today. DOSBox is still very much a work in progress, and the problem could also be related to Windows 2000. Did you try following the loadfix instructions?

Yeah, I did, and I haven't heard about that project you mentioned. I'll check it out and thanks for the info.

I'm having difficulty installing WC2. Whenever I run the install program, it tells me to put my CD in the drive even though it's already there. I can't install because it won't get past this part.

I'm having difficulty installing WC1,WC2,Privater,Academy and Armada plus I d/l all of them. WC1 plays but with no sound and very fast and Academy play but with no sound and thats without installing them.

XP compatibility problem

I can't get my WC3 KS to go past the intro video and Prophecy shows the viseo like it is on fast forward. Any ideas on how to fix it? I am not very savvy with the computer settings so does anyone have a easy to follow answer? Thanks.

If you're trying to install something and it doesn't detect your CD, just copy the CD to a hard drive folder and install from there. DOSBox needs to be specifically told a CD drive is a CD drive before it will recognize them.

Cobrafang said:
I'm having difficulty installing WC1,WC2,Privater,Academy and Armada plus I d/l all of them. WC1 plays but with no sound and very fast and Academy play but with no sound and thats without installing them.

Solution: Get a legal copy of those games at ebay or so and install those games (via Dosbox, for example). :p - If you still have got probs after that, feel free to ask back again.

Back