Run All Old WC Games in DOSBox Walkthrough

Step By Step

Can I please have step by step instructions on how to install this game, and then how to run it afterwards without having to go through the picking of sound card phase and all?

Unregistered said:
Can I please have step by step instructions on how to install this game, and then how to run it afterwards without having to go through the picking of sound card phase and all?

Um, Who are you? We have no Idea if you are talking about a previous post of yours. (since yo didn't log in). As well, the thread is called "run all old WC games..." So what game are you even talking about? What kind of system are you trying to run it on?

Its about WC3

I have 1gb dual channel RAM
ATI Radeon 9800x graphics card
Pentium 4 processor

and no its a new post i am new to these forums, ive been trying to find help but its all garbled

Unregistered said:
Its about WC3

I have 1gb dual channel RAM
ATI Radeon 9800x graphics card
Pentium 4 processor

and no its a new post i am new to these forums, ive been trying to find help but its all garbled

Registering, or at the very least putting in a name lets us keep track of your problem in a thread that, say, over 100 other people have already posted their own problems in too.

Now, I asume that you are running the game off the CDs in dosbox? Did you also mount the harddrive? Is it actually installed to the Harddrive? If it lets you, have you tried installing the game in xp sans dosbox. If you try that don't forget that dosbox defaults to IRQ 7 for the sound card. Then in dosbox make sure you are mounting the Hardrive and CD-rom and run it from th install you did on the Harddrive.

I get the impression it is running the game and not actually saving your configuration to the hard drive, Do your save games disapear too? If so, that is most likely the problem. Make sure it's mounting your c: drive

Not exactly, i have trouble just getting the game to start. I do the whole installation thing, but it wont let me save and start playing the game

thats why i need like step by step instructions on how to properly install the game and whatnot

The step by step instructions vary from person to person depending on your specific hardware configuration. https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6042 , the original post in this thread, is the step by step walkthrough that applies to everyone. If the various walk-through posts don't do it, you might see if someone on irc can help you. It can take a couple hours to walk through someone's installation if they don't understand the preexisting instructions here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unregistered said:
Not exactly, i have trouble just getting the game to start. I do the whole installation thing, but it wont let me save and start playing the game

thats why i need like step by step instructions on how to properly install the game and whatnot

I'm still betting on needing to mount your hard drive properly
type "mount c: c:" to mount your c: drive in dosbox where c: is your harddrive

It seems you've mounted your CD-rom though. And you might want to take a look at D-fend.

god... i registered but i cant post yet so i had to log out to do this.

Ok here is what i have done:

Copied all files from DISK 1 to directory

c:\windows\WC3

Here are the commands i have given DosBox to use at startup

mount c: c:\windows\wc3
c:
wc3

It works yet i have a problem, after i tell it to save and start i get this message....

A system proccessor exception has occured
your system may be unstable at this point

how do i fix this?

god, when i exit it and try it again, it says that it couldnt read my digital sound card either

mike sinidrax said:
god... i registered but i cant post yet so i had to log out to do this.
Ok here is what i have done:
Copied all files from DISK 1 to directory
c:\windows\WC3
Here are the commands i have given DosBox to use at startup
mount c: c:\windows\wc3
c:
wc3
It works yet i have a problem, after i tell it to save and start i get this message....

A system proccessor exception has occured
your system may be unstable at this point
Because of some idiots who keep making multiple accounts you now have to wait for the CIC staff to manually verify your account.

Anyway, that problem is the inherent instability of the dynamic core we were talking about. Making sur minimal things are running in the background and such might help but it could be that your system isn't able to play wc3 in DosBOX properly. However most other wc games that need dos should work just fine with the dynamic core turned off.
You could try switching to VDMsound like chis suggested and see if it will work that way.

Another note, if it crashes like that it's always better to restart your whole system before trying again. That should fix the sound card problem anyway.

Whats VDMSound,

Ive had it running before, i just forget entirely how i did it......

should i set the core to normal, full, or the other one?

AD said:
Because of some idiots who keep making multiple accounts you now have to wait for the CIC staff to manually verify your account.

Not anymore. We've changed it around yet again. It's harder for jerks to screw with the board than ever, but it should also be quick and easy for normal people to register. If someone can't post, they need to contact us and figure out what's going on.

Mike Sinidrax said:
Whats VDMSound,

Ive had it running before, i just forget entirely how i did it......

should i set the core to normal, full, or the other one?

god, you can find a VDMSound tutorial at http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=19757

Normal core is recommended. You can switch to dynamic to get you more speed, but the game will be unstable.

Dosbox 0.65 works better than 0.63 for:

WC2 (smoother at same # of cycles, able to turn cycles up higher. DosBox's joystick support is also improved. Game speed was consistent during fights, instead of speeding up/slowing down depending on the # of objects on screen like I was used to)

WC3 (smoother at same # of cycles, able to turn cycles up higher, smooth on my system in high detail now (at least for the first mission))

WC:priv (WAY better than 0.63. Loading time between dialogue sections COMPLETELY eliminated at full speed on my system. Intro cutscene absolutely perfect - even better than on my P133 running DOS. Space is smooth as silk)

WC:Armada (smoother at same # of cycles, able to turn cycles up higher. I went from 19000 cycles in 0.63 to 22000 cycles in 0.65. At first I thought the frame limiter must be broken, but then I found out in #wingnut it really was supposed to be that fast. Lasers fire 8 shots per second, who knew?)
Of course, HCl hasn't made a NetBios version of 0.65, so the NetBios multiplayer modes won't work. I didn't have any success with pg in two instances of dosbox on the same machine (after the game starts, the two immediately have an unrecoverable sync error), but supposedly they improved IPX support so maybe it would work correctly if they were on separate machines.
Actually, there's something I haven't tried yet... I'm going to have to do a little experiment when I get home today...

(These are the only games I've tried so far. And this was on back on Saturday, so I don't remember what I set the cycles to for most of the games.)

Also, I have a fairly powerful machine (3.4 GHz P4). I would actually expect bigger improvements in lower end systems, since the extended update notes mention some significant optimizations to the drawing code, which seems to be a bigger chunk of the cpu load on slower systems, in my experience.

One last thing. I forget whether it was Privateer or Armada, but one of those used to complain about ems unless you set ems=false in the .conf file. No longer.

Hi guys, I have some stupid problems with WC 1.
with DOS-BOX 0.63 I can run the game without any problems, but there is no blody sound. I tried everything I could read out of this topic but it doesn't work.
Is there something I forgot? I even overtook the config file (for dosbox) which was displayed in some dood's post here...nothing...plz help!!

Black-Wulf said:
Hi guys, I have some stupid problems with WC 1.
with DOS-BOX 0.63 I can run the game without any problems, but there is no blody sound. I tried everything I could read out of this topic but it doesn't work.
Is there something I forgot? I even overtook the config file (for dosbox) which was displayed in some dood's post here...nothing...plz help!!

When you set up the sound, don't forget that Dosbox defaults the soundcard to IRQ7.

there isn't any way to configure the IRQ channel in the Sound menu from WC1 is it?
But there is some other strange thing: When I run this sound setup called "install.exe" it says that everything has been saved etc.
When I load the game via wc.exe it says "loading install.dat", the file, where I think the options like sound are saved. But the goddam game doesn't wanna play it. could my wc.exe file be broken or sth. like this?

I haven't got the 1990 Original version. I have the "Soft Price - CD ROM Classics" -version from...I think 1994. COuld there be some changes?

I don't follow you. You load the game by typing WC.. and it say it's loading install.dat, which doesn't load. Then what happens? I believe you do need to set the IRQ, and DOSBox defaults to 7 for some reason.

Can you post the contents of your install.dat file? I think this would be the easiest way to determine if the IRQs match

Back