Run All Old WC Games in DOSBox Walkthrough

DOSBox.conf is just a text file. Open it with notepad or something. Change the ems=true line to ems=false to run Privateer.

Fanx alot!!! it works...
ALthough one other problem is now the sound. Obviously i was bound to encounter this but is there anyway to sort out a sound issue in the game. The music jus keeps on stuttering...i was wondering is their anyway to sort this out??? The options are set at default (Creative Sound Blaster Pro) and i have sound blaster PCI installed. Also my computer is p4 with an 800mhz chipset alongside a 128mb RAM. The game moves awfully slow. Anyway i can sort this out is well, i keep on increasing the speed but it doesnt make a difference. Fanx alot anyway for the previous info.

An 800 Mhz computer is probably too slow to run Privateer in DOSBox smoothly. You typically need 1-1.5 GHz to do so. Your actual sound card doesn't matter in DOSBox. As long as you have sound in windows, DOSBox emulates a perfect Soundblaster 16 (note it defaults to IRQ7). Increasing the cycles beyond the maximum your processor can comfortably sustain actually chokes the emulator and slows you down further. Privateer runs well in the 5500-7000 cycle range. An 800 MHz computer can probably only muster about 4000 cycles without starting to choke. One option is to enable the dynamic cpu core in your dosbox.conf. This will allow you to drastically ramp up the number of cycles your computer can handle, but this sacrifices stability and you may crash more often (or the game might not run at all).

no luck...i tried dynamic and the game wouldn't start so i went bk to the default settings. But i did sort it out a little bit better by setting the frameskip settings to 2and the game ran quite smoothly (not excellently but a bit okay). Still when it comes to flying in space it moves okay but things are still harder for me to hit and i tend to move rigidly and not great, which makes missions for me quite hard. (I spent like 10 mins trying to shoot down a pirate - or maybe im jus crap.)

Yeah, you might just have to wait to upgrade. Emulating in DOSBox with a Pentium 3 is like running actual DOS on a 386.

my joystick wont work

I have a usb joystick but wc3 wont detect it when i try to run it other than this everything else works fine isnt there anyway to fix this

Unregistered said:
I have a usb joystick but wc3 wont detect it when i try to run it other than this everything else works fine isnt there anyway to fix this

I assume you are using dosbox. Make sure that the Joystick is properly calibrated in windows first. If widows detects it just fine then we can assume its not a problem with the actual stick. Now second, if you have *any* other controlers (mice excluded) that are usb or analog unplug them before running dosbox. Sometimes games only recognize whichever controler shows up first in the list of game controlers in the windows control panel.

nah im not using dosbox it runs really chad. i have downloaded a keyboard to joystick emulator which just makes the joystick act as the keyboard its alright but i would like to know if there is anyway running it through xp where the joystick can be detected and the sound is choppy still but it was choppy in dosbox too

Unregistered said:
nah im not using dosbox it runs really chad. i have downloaded a keyboard to joystick emulator which just makes the joystick act as the keyboard its alright but i would like to know if there is anyway running it through xp where the joystick can be detected and the sound is choppy still but it was choppy in dosbox too

WC3 wasnt designed to use usb. Thats where Dosbox is handy. What are your system specs? (and its easier to keep track of you if you login or register if you havent already)

That should just about be enough to get WC3 running smoothly. You can't just use the default options though. You'll have to tweak the frameskip and cycles to suit WC3 and your system. If you have any more complex technical problems, knowing your video card, sound card and other system specs will be extremely important.

how will i know wat to tweak to get wc3 running. I have a tnt2 i think and i have an onboard sound card. What might work is if i knew how to get my old sound card detected on my new motherboard because on my old one i was able to run wc3 perfect as it had a gameport and a compatable sound card do u have an ideas?

E-Man said:
how will i know wat to tweak to get wc3 running. I have a tnt2 i think and i have an onboard sound card. What might work is if i knew how to get my old sound card detected on my new motherboard because on my old one i was able to run wc3 perfect as it had a gameport and a compatable sound card do u have an ideas?

If xp runs, dosbox should use your vid card and sound. One thing to keep in mind is that dosbox defaults the SB IRQ to 7 instead of the standard 5.

After that the things you need to edit are in the DOSBox.conf file. Frameskip, cycles, and possibly the EMS line (maybe the dynamic core if it doesnt become too unstable too) are things that you might need to asjust to get it running smooth

AD said:
If xp runs, dosbox should use your vid card and sound. One thing to keep in mind is that dosbox defaults the SB IRQ to 7 instead of the standard 5.

After that the things you need to edit are in the DOSBox.conf file. Frameskip, cycles, and possibly the EMS line (maybe the dynamic core if it doesnt become too unstable too) are things that you might need to asjust to get it running smooth

Thanks mate i'll try playing around with dosbox but if anyone knows how i could get my older sound card working i think it would solve the problems completely

That's probably a more difficult problem to address. It's possible your onboard soundcard just isn't compatible with DOS WC3, at least without some special drivers or a bunch of tweaking in the device manager. DOSBox fixes this by emulating a soundblaster that WC3 will recognize.

Back