RSI Pledge Thread

@Don:
$10 or $20 wouldn't be the problem, that's where my second point applies. I could pay €20 with paysafecard now. It just isn't possible because you can't pay with paysafecard at RSI. My third point is just me saying "I would want to spend €200 in december, but not now" which is impossible it seems, because of the 30 days thingie.
I understand why they do it this way but it is not compatible with the way I spend my money.

Maybe they just tried to cover the most common payment methods first. I'd never heard of paysafecard before - I assumed it was more a European thing, but looking at the site, it seems to cover quite a few countries (just not Australia, hence why I didn't know about it before).

It's a very cool thing because you don't have to give anyone your bank account number or your credit card number. It is like a one-use prepaid credit card.
And yeah, since most people in the world have a credit card and frequently use it they covered those. I guess I will have to wait a bit longer until alternatives get used by more people so companies accept them.

Paysafe is EU only yes. I am very very very low in funds.I am jobless for more than a year now ,but I will try to pledge at least 60 $ .My RSI nickname is the same as here

over 1 million crashed the site 2 days ago. surely only half of those can just chip in at least $10, that'd be enough.

Since I didn't go to Austin with the rest of the staff, I do have a little extra to throw around. I'm thinking of The "Man" Ship ($500).

The thing that is massively concerning me now is that, I want to pledge but (at the risk of sounding like a broken record) I want to know details first.
I want to be patient, but CR has said that there will be a limited amount of Alpha slots available and with the counter down, how can I even keep track of this?

I'll be really cheesed-off if the info comes through just in time for me to miss out :(

The thing that is massively concerning me now is that, I want to pledge but (at the risk of sounding like a broken record) I want to know details first...

Exactly. At this point, I don't mind throwing down some dough, but I want to make an informed purchase, if possible.

On the other hand, I know that any details prior to public release may be subject to a Non-Disclosure Agreement. I've alpha-tested for Wargaming.net for their upcoming World of Warplanes, and they kept a tight lid on even what planes would be involved from being leaked out. I'll head over to RSI and see what I can find out. We may just have to throw caution into the wind and make a decision prior to the 30 days; it is what it is.

Okay, I have some tidbits to share on what I've noticed so far...

First, and probably important to a lot of folks, Paypal is confirmed as working. This is nice, because they have a feature called 'BillMeLater'. It's very close to how layaway works, so if you want a higher-tier pledge, you can make incremental payments.

*RSI Constellation is..the or one of..the highest tier of fighters in the game. Similar to the Centurion in Privateer.
*Bengal-class carriers can be earned by a player, but cannot be baught (wow!)
*you will always have your pre-ordered ship, no way to lose it permanently. --there are rumors abound surrounding possible permadeath (unlikely), or a system of slowly dredging through easy-grind missions as a way of earning currency, should you hit rock-bottom (likely)

Unfortunately, the Galactopedia on RSI's website is not up yet, so we'll have to rely on posts in their forums for now.

- why only 30 days? In that time many people who like space sims but are not constantly browsing the web for them won't even know about the project. I would rather suggest 3 months or so. I cannot see how they want to reach their goal in a month. Maybe the first one, but the other ones...
- I don't have a credit card and I don't use paypal. I would have liked other methods of payment as well, for example paysafecard. I could maybe ask a friend of mine, but... see below.
- at the moment I simply don't have the €200 available I would want to spend. I'm moving to a new house this month and expensive stuff is expensive. I would like to pay in December but... see above.

These crowdfunding campaigns don't take money in in a linear fashion. There's huge bursts of money up front and then again as the deadline approaches. Spreading your campaign longer doesn't automatically mean more money - focusing on an intense 30-day campaign could be more profitable. However, Wedge nailed it when he mentioned the budget. The tentative timeline is to release in 2 years. Not knowing your funding situation for a few more months can make a big difference. Finally, and maybe most importantly, the game isn't supposed to cost $2-6 million to make. That's only the down payment. :) RSI says they expect the initial 30-day funding campaign to subsequently spur additional capital investors, which will fund the rest (most of?) the game's development.

I also had never heard of paysafecard. What if there was someone else that didn't use credit cards, paypal or paysafecard? Where does it end? There's dozens of financial services you could theoretically support, and Roberts Space Industries is a very small team right now - they're busy just trying to get basic credit card/paypal functionality working smoothly!

If you can't come up with the amount of money that you want to contribute now, then you may simply just not be able to contribute (although the "billmelater" option has merit). The point of these things isn't to cause fans to scrimp and save for months so that they can be squeezed for every disposable dollar that they have. I wouldn't encourage anyone to contribute money that they don't have readily available and that they're comfortable giving up.

The thing that is massively concerning me now is that, I want to pledge but (at the risk of sounding like a broken record) I want to know details first.
I want to be patient, but CR has said that there will be a limited amount of Alpha slots available and with the counter down, how can I even keep track of this?

I'll be really cheesed-off if the info comes through just in time for me to miss out :(

I definitely wouldn't overly stress about this today. RSI is frantically working to get their website/payment system back and stable, and then the regular information flow will continue. I think there'll be plenty of time to answer your questions over the next couple days/weeks.

Exactly. At this point, I don't mind throwing down some dough, but I want to make an informed purchase, if possible.

On the other hand, I know that any details prior to public release may be subject to a Non-Disclosure Agreement. I've alpha-tested for Wargaming.net for their upcoming World of Warplanes, and they kept a tight lid on even what planes would be involved from being leaked out. I'll head over to RSI and see what I can find out. We may just have to throw caution into the wind and make a decision prior to the 30 days; it is what it is.

When I say I want details, I'll understand that these things are subject to change, I'm not asking for exacting numbers, just things like, if I go for the Hornet, is there any cargo space at all?
Roughly what are the strengths of each vessel being offered?
What benefits do these different coloured Citizen cards offer?
What is the rough value of a credit?
In the first year of my first mortgage and with a wedding to pay for next spring, I don't feel comfortable paying money for something unless I feel I've been able to truly weigh up my options.

Chris> Cheers, I appreciate the reassurance :)

pleased to report I just made my pledge...I went for the Wingnut option. I made the pledge on the European site in Euros via paypal. (£96) Always did prefer pure action over trading/exploring. That is the best I can do for now, but may add to this in the coming weeks. I really want to know what the count is at!!

Does anyone know if you pledge say the $250 package do you also get the ships from the lower packages or just for that level? Looking to fill up my hangar bays. :)

I don't think you would get more than one ship, at least initially.

*RSI Constellation is..the or one of..the highest tier of fighters in the game.
The description says 'top-of-the-line'. That implies the best that you can get' to me, at least for the initial release - undoubtedly there would be further ship releases along the way.

The key detail I'm interested in knowing: minimum system requirements.
I don't think they can give an accurate statement on this till closer to the release date.

Ah, a pledge thread, exactly what I needed!

Of course, initial reaction was to get the WingNut-Pledge: Colonel, Hornet fighter and Squadron 42 manual seems like a logical choice for a WC fan. But the Come fly with me package has blueprints and the game which had me almost sold but now I hesitate:

- Do we really not get the game with the WingNut-Pledge?

- Will it be possible to obtain the Hornet fighter later in the game? Because it seems to be a military craft so maybe it isn't for sale on the open market.

- I really want the Squadron 42-manual but I care much less about a "Making of"-book- But the manual seems to come only with the WingNut-Pledge which seems a bit odd. In the end, I'll end up pledging only the WingNut-Level because of the manual instead of going for the Come fly with me...

I'm sure that's just an omission for the Wingnut description. Besides, there is still mention of the custom USB stick with the 'game and all digital elements'.

I don't think any ship will be restricted to just military or civilian/citizen use. They might have used the Hornet for the videos, but I have the impression that all ships will be available to all players, you just need to earn the credits (and perhaps other in-game things like being in good standing with the ship seller's faction) in order to purchase them.

Both manuals are described as 42-pages. My guess is that they are supposed to be the same, but it's possible they could be different. Once the main site is working properly again, maybe they'll have time to fix little things like making the pledge descriptions more consistent.

I'm sure that's just an omission for the Wingnut description. Besides, there is still mention of the custom USB stick with the 'game and all digital elements'.

I don't think any ship will be restricted to just military or civilian/citizen use. They might have used the Hornet for the videos, but I have the impression that all ships will be available to all players, you just need to earn the credits (and perhaps other in-game things like being in good standing with the ship seller's faction) in order to purchase them.

Both manuals are described as 42-pages. My guess is that they are supposed to be the same, but it's possible they could be different. Once the main site is working properly again, maybe they'll have time to fix little things like making the pledge descriptions more consistent.

I think you're right for the first two points but I am not so sure about the manual. I really hope they're the same because than I certainly will go for "Come with me" but I will wait some days, hopefully getting an official answer.

It's just a guess. I could very well be wrong, though it seems a bit inconsistent to me for there to be separate publications.

Back