Ronald Reagan dead at 93

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get back on topic, regardless of whether or not you agreed with him, unlike many politicians today he at least had the courage to stand for what he thought was right and stick to his beliefs instead of bending whichever way the wind blows, even if he did stumble from time to time (Beruit, not holding Congressional feet to the fire over spending cuts to go with tax cuts, and some other stuff). Snapping the country out of the post-Vietnam funk was just icing on the cake, so to speak.

"The mark of a great leader is, not that he did great things, but that he inspired the people to do great things" - Ronald Wilson Reagan (about FDR)

Thanks for the inspiration, Ronnie.

(Oh, and do keep in mind that I will be watching this thread closely, folks. RWR was one of my personal heroes while growing up.)

Bandit LOAF said:
All the people who voted for him were running Enron? That's the strangest claim anyone on the entire internet has ever made.

I was making a sweeping generalization that people in charge of big business are largely from the Republican Party.

Maj.Striker said:
Um...right. I'm not sure if I have the time to think of a suitable statement exploring the sheer stupidity (not to mention falseness) of your statement. Maybe Pysch would be able to expound on this because it pretty clear you don't have a head for politics.

Point 1 The Statistical Abstract of the United States for 1996 states the number of people (white, black, and Hispanic) below the poverty level increased in almost every year between 1981 and 1992 (31.8 to 39.3 million).

Point 2 We were $994 billion in debt in 1981 fiscal year, when Carter left office, and $2,867 billion when Reagan leaves office in fiscal 1989. The rough number is 2.8 times as much in 1989 as in 1981. No, it's not quite tripled, but very close. Okay, so the republicans have an argument for this: it didn't really double or triple when you take it as a percentage of either GDP or GNP. Okay, if we go with that, then it can indeed be agreed that Reagan didn't really double the debt as a percentage of either of these figures. But that doesn't really make Reagan look any better. As a historical look at the debt since before the United States entered World War II will show, the debt as a percentage of GDP never went up meaningfully for any extended period of time except for two periods: during the War itself, and starting during the Reagan years. At least President Roosevelt had the need to borrow money hand and fist to fight the Axis powers. What's Reagan's excuse? We needed to borrow money to give a tax break to the wealthy?

Point 3 1986 Tax Reform Act is widely considered to be the best piece of American tax legislation since the adoption of the income tax. It is the opposite of Reaganomics. Over its first five years, it closed more than $500 billion in loopholes and tax shelters. As a result:

* Major corporations that previously had paid little or nothing in income taxes due to loopholes were put back on the tax rolls, and corporate taxes were increased overall by a net of more $100 billion over five years.

*A huge wasteful tax-shelter industry for high-income individuals was shut down.

*Tax rates on capital gains income were raised to the same level as on other income.

* Millions of moderate-income working families got tax relief through a major expansion of the earned-income tax credit.

* Taxes on most families (on average, all but the best-off tenth) were reduced. (The table shows the tax changes by income group.)

* The income tax was substantially simplified for most filers.

Allied in support of the 1986 reforms were a vast array of public interest groups, labor unions and citizens groups around the country. The act was also highly praised by most economists, because it leveled the playing field for businesses and investments, and made our economy more efficient and productive. Unsuccessfully opposing the 1986 Tax Reform Act were low- and no-tax corporations, recalcitrant supply-siders and tax-shelter promoters. (Opponents included, for example, Newt Gingrich, Bill Archer and billionaire Donald Trump, who continues to criticize the act for cracking down on abusive real-estate tax shelters.)

Point 4 To avoid being misled by the business cycle, one must look at underlying economic growth rates. The following table accomplishes this result in two ways. First, it measures economic growth and other data from one business cycle peak to the next, rather than from a recession to a later peak. Second, it uses CBO calculations of "potential" economic growth — that is, CBO's (Congressional Budget Office) estimate of the size of the economy in any year if unemployment were at normal levels, rather than abnormally high or low levels. In effect, CBO directly calculates the size of the underlying economy, ignoring the business cycle. Both approaches give the same answer: economic growth rates have slowed from decade to decade; if income tax rates have made any difference to economic growth, that difference has been too small to be obvious. Specifically, the CBO data show that the underlying rate of annual economic growth was lower in the 1980s than the 1970s. It averaged 3.4 percent from 1969 to 1980, then slipped to 2.7 percent in the 1980s (not the 3.8 percent that comes from measuring from the depths of the recession in 1982), and is now projected at 2.1 percent. It is plausible that the underlying annual growth rate might have been slightly less than 2.7 percent in the 1980s were it not for the 1981 tax cut, but surely only slightly.

Point 5 In 1993 Clinton raised the taxes on the rich, the opposite of Reaganomics, opponents argued that this would stop the growing economy. That did not happen.

psych said:
Frosty (a Republican like me) thinks Lehah is cool, and I think Frosty is cool, so I'll let Lehah's statement slip by. It was way less harsh then what others have said about Reagan today.

Hey, I grew up on the guy too - and he was one hell of a public speaker for a bad actor. But he also knew how to waste money quicker than a sailor in a whore house.

overmortal said:
I realize that I'm drunk while saying this, but I'm pretty sure LeHah's an asshole.

Like my T-Shirt says: "My parents said I could be whatever I wanted when I grew up. So I became an asshole".

Yeah, damn Reagan for magically passing bills while completely bypassing a Congress that was primarily held by the Democratic Party for much of his administration.

*rereads Article I of the US Constitution*

Oh, wait...

I liked John Kerry's eulogy for Reagan.

Ronald Reagan's love of country was infectious. Even when he was breaking Democrats hearts, he did so with a smile and in the spirit of honest and open debate. Despite the disagreements, he lived by that noble ideal that at 5pm we weren't Democrats or Republicans, we were Americans and friends. President Reagan and Tip O'Neill fought hard and honorably on many issues, and sat down together to happily swap jokes and the stories of their lives. The differences were real, but because of the way President Reagan led, he taught us that there is a big difference between strong beliefs and bitter partisanship.
He was the voice of America in good times and in grief. When we lost the brave astronauts in the Challenger tragedy, he reminded us that, Nothing ends here; our hopes and our journeys continue.

Now, his own journey has ended - a long and storied trip that spanned most of the American century - and shaped one of the greatest victories of freedom. Today in the face of new challenges, his example reminds us that we must move forward with optimism and resolve. He was our oldest president, but he made America young again.

Our prayers are with his family, and the wife he loved in a way all the world could see. And to the end, she loved him with courage and complete devotion. She helped all of us better understand the cruel disease that took him away before it took his life, and what we must do to prevent and cure it.

Teresa and I and our family extend our deepest sympathies to Nancy Reagan and the Reagan family. Today, from California to Maine - from sea to shining sea - Americans will bow their heads in prayer and gratitude that President Reagan left such an indelible stamp on the nation he loved.

At least President Roosevelt had the need to borrow money hand and fist to fight the Axis powers. What's Reagan's excuse? We needed to borrow money to give a tax break to the wealthy?

To make the Soviet Union implode.

This was Ted Rall's opinion on Reagan. It can be assumed that most of the Democrats on this board will agree with it. ;)

"How Sad...

...that Ronald Reagan didn't die in prison, where he belonged for starting an illegal, laughably unjustifiable war against Grenada under false pretenses (the "besieged" medical students later said they were nothing of the sort) and funneling arms to hostages during Iran-Contra.

Oh, and 9/11? That was his. Osama bin Laden and his fellow Afghan "freedom fighters" got their funding, and nasty weapons, from Reagan.

A real piece of work, Reagan ruined the federal budget, trashed education, alienated our friends and allies and made us a laughing stock around the world.

Hmmmm...sounds familiar.

Anyway, I'm sure he's turning crispy brown right about now."

I was making a sweeping generalization that people in charge of big business are largely from the Republican Party.

Reagan won the most sweeping re-election in history (49 out of 50 states), though... he clearly appealed to someone other than owners of big businesses.

You can also thank him for the still unfinished "war on drugs"

If Reagan hadn't made cocaine so addictive, we wouldn't be in this mess!

Also, he invented the U-Boat and sent it back in time to prey on Allied shipping!

Seriously, though, what is the implication here? Sure, fighting drugs has used a lot of money... but the *alternative* is also completely unthinkable. I can't really blame the president for an inability to stop teenagers from being idiots.

One thing that bothered me about Reagan was not when he was President, but when he was Governor of California. When he sent the National Guard in to stop protesting students at the University of California Berkeley campus, he indicated in so many words his willingness to have the students killed in order to stop the protests.

Quoted from a short biography of Reagan at http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/presidents/ronald-reagan/

15 May 1969 Regarding the ongoing student protests at UC Berkeley, California governor Ronald Reagan is quoted in the San Francisco Chronicle as saying: "If there has to be a bloodbath, then let's get it over with."

Wow, yeah, what an authoritative site... :rolleyes:

Considering they start off their article on Reagan with "Everybody knew he was a dumbass", and go downhill from there, I'm surprised that anyone gives any more value to that page than that of used toilet paper.

On further thought, actually... no, I'm not surprised, given the level of bitter, virulent partisanship that passes for politics nowadays, on all sides, and how character assassination is used in place of reasoned debate.

overmortal said:
I realize that I'm drunk while saying this, but I'm pretty sure LeHah's an asshole. Then again, I'm also pretty much against talking shit about and otherwise disrespecting presidents, no matter what party they're from.

I don't know. I think it's patriotic as Americans to always question our leadership and constantly scrutinize what they do. I've been surprised at peoples attitudes sometimes when they say, we are facing a crisis in the world and they will say that now is only the time to support the president not question him. And sure, it pretty quickly just turns into mudflinging, but we still have to do it. Now let us all get drunk!

You know, I could just quote every offensive comment thus far made and burn them all one at a time, but I don't have the patience for that, because it's not fun. So I'm just going to wing it. If I'm addressing you, you'll know.

In a perfect world, you would be unwelcome to regurgitate worn-out, manipulative platitudes and expect them to be taken at face value. Your boogeymen suck, get some new ones.

All you morons who bitch about "TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH ARE BADBAD!!!" need to sit down and be quiet for three seconds and think. Did you know that the top 5% of wage earners bear over 50% of the income-tax burden in the US? Did you ever stop to consider that in this country we have a graduated income tax scale where those who earn more also pay a larger percent of their income as taxes? What makes you so retarded? If Person A pays 500 dollars to the Fed in the form of unconstitutional and confiscatory income taxes, and Person B pays 10000 dollars, who is going to benefit more from a 10% tax cut? Nobody, you dumb sack of shit. Everyone gets 10% back. And of course it makes sense that 10% of 10000 is larger than 10% of 500. You're idiots.

All you morons who bitch about "THE WAR ON DRUGS IS BADBAD!!!" need to sit down and be quiet for however long it takes your THC-addled neurons to restore normal functions and think. Reagan didn't invent the "war on drugs," he only supported it because that's what the majority of American voters wanted. If the population of the United States actually gave a flying fuck about whether certain drugs were made legal or not, they would be legal by now. The simple fact is that practically nobody is compelled by that issue. Blame your fellow voters for their apathy, not a dead President for his eagerness to please them.

"WELL YOU KNOW, I THINK [Insert undesirable behavior here] IS VERY PATRIOTIC BLAH BLAH BLAH..."Shut the fuck up.

There is plenty more I could highlight, but I'm bored now. Learn to think for yourselves, you little sheep. Stop parroting the tired bullshit you hear from the has-been politicians you adore, and invent your own ideas. You sicken me.

True greatness. A man that changed the whole world. You have to be great to be able to do that.

Shipgate said:
I don't know. I think it's patriotic as Americans to always question our leadership and constantly scrutinize what they do.

Does that mean if I was still a kindergarden kid, it was my patriotic duty to question my teacher's statement that 2+2=4?

Or does that mean that it's my patriotic duty as a CIC poster to question my moderators and constantly scrutinize what they do?

Anyways, good post Frosty.

As rare as this happens, I agree with Psych, good post, Frosty. I still get irked at morons who proclaim that tax cuts for the rich is bad etc. I still say there should be a flat tax percentage for everyone. 10% is the same percentage as anyone. If I earn $25,000 then I'll pay 2500 in taxes...if you earn $25,000,000, you'll pay $2.5 million it's the same frigging thing! People are like, Oh but they're rich, they can afford it. SCREW YOU! They earned that money, they shouldn't have to pay more just because they're rich...that's like some sort of messed up prejudice. Like saying if your chinese you should pay 25%...some people are permanently handicapped in the head.

psych said:
Does that mean if I was still a kindergarden kid, it was my patriotic duty to question my teacher's statement that 2+2=4?

Or does that mean that it's my patriotic duty as a CIC poster to question my moderators and constantly scrutinize what they do?

Anyways, good post Frosty.

Meh, that sounds a bit extreme to me. Maybe if you were a kindergarten cop! Bwah ha ha ha!

psych said:

Unlike both of those situations, the American political system is a democracy. Therefore, different rules apply. This guy is absolutely right, and you know it. Or are you going to tell me that you would never question the decisions of a Democrat president calling for yet another tax increase and more social spending?

Indeed, it's in your best interest to agree with Shipgate, even though you disagree with him about Reagan (or maybe not, since he never said anything about Reagan one way or another). The right to disagree with your president is a rather useful one - it's not worth giving up just because it doesn't suit you in this particular situation.

Actually Quarto, I believe in all of that. I was just making fun of him using the word "always" and "leadership" (vague, is it President, Congress, boss, teacher?) in his line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back