Ronald Reagan dead at 93

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I just said over at the HLP forums a few minutes ago:

I didn't like Reagan the President, but like all decent men, he deserves at least this much:

God speed, and may you rest in peace.

Ronald Reagan was a great President, and he lived longer then any other President to boot in spite of Alzheimers.

It was odd since this morning they said he had like a few weeks left and then boom around 11am he's dead.

Not a fan of Reagan, certain things he did just don't sit well with me. But, always sad to see someone go...

I doubt most of you are old enough to remember the end of the Vietnam War and the fall of Saigon, Watergate and Nixon's resignation, the Carter presidency and its general lack of direction, etc., etc. The mood in America throughout most of the 1970s was not one characterized by pride in country. America had a bad hangover. Like him or not, President Reagan helped to restore the almost forgotton honor of being an American citizen and rekindled our sense of Nationalism. He gave us hope for a better future and guided our country through very difficult times. No, he was not perfect, but I'm confident that history will be kind to Mr. Reagan.

Well, there are good points and bad about any president.

Reagan had two major bad points as far as I'm concerned:
One - he ran up a major national debt that we're still trying to pay off (not that Bush is helping very much).
Two - He invested entirely too much money in SDI. AFAIK, we still needed some significant maturation of several aras of technology for that to be at all practicable. Now, twenty years later, we're beginning to see some real applications of that research. At the time, all too much of that money was wasted.

He did restore America's faith in herself, and her people, though, and he should be thanked for that. Also, his defense buildup, regardless of the fiscal constraints it operated under, did force the Soviets to throw in the towel.

In the end, he did more good than ill in his time in office. Let us hope that for once, the ill can be interred with a dead man's bones rather than the good. Fat chance of getting the national debt relieved, though.

Well it's sad to see him go, I was young during his administration b ut from what I know of the man and have read of his presidency, he was a decent man, honorable in all respects, he defeated communism, restored a sagging america and prepped it for the roaring economical success of the early to mid 90's. We were in debt far before Regan became president and we'll be in debt far after his death, the national debt (as a practical manner) matters little to me...it's not like someone is going to come knocking on our door threatening to confiscate America's car... Regan was great president and a great american, May God grant him peace.

psych said:
Ronald Reagan was a great President, and he lived longer then any other President to boot in spite of Alzheimers.

Yeah, he spent 4 trillion dollars on shit like Orbiral Defense Systems that didn't get made, the war on drugs and arms build-up.

Oh yeah, he said "Government was the problem" and Reganonmics was attemping to shrink the Federal branch - but all the people who voted for him were the ones running Enron and other major corporations who were pocketing stockholder's money.

For all intensive purposes, he was only running distraction while some people were stealing other people's cash.

All the people who voted for him were running Enron? That's the strangest claim anyone on the entire internet has ever made.

For all intensive purposes, he was only running distraction while some people were stealing other people's cash.

Um...right. I'm not sure if I have the time to think of a suitable statement exploring the sheer stupidity (not to mention falseness) of your statement. Maybe Pysch would be able to expound on this because it pretty clear you don't have a head for politics.

I realize that I'm drunk while saying this, but I'm pretty sure LeHah's an asshole. Then again, I'm also pretty much against talking shit about and otherwise disrespecting presidents, no matter what party they're from.

We were damned lucky to get him

a very accidental president whose good works survive his death - he wasn't
Washington or Lincoln but ranks among the few great presidents we have had.

Frosty (a Republican like me) thinks Lehah is cool, and I think Frosty is cool, so I'll let Lehah's statement slip by. It was way less harsh then what others have said about Reagan today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back