Rock Me, Commodore James "Paladin" Taggart (May 26, 2006)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Rock Me, Commodore James "Paladin" Taggart (May 26, 2006)

Astute credit-watchers have found a difference between the Wing Commander movie's actual credits and the version published online. The finished version includes a fourth music credit:
Trio from 'Cosi Fan Tutte'
Written by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Arranged by Lee Ashley
Courtesy of OGM/Ole George Music
Unlike the film's other three tracks of licensed music, pop songs from Cuba and Thievery Corporation, the Mozart is readily identifiable in the movie itself: it's the opera Paladin is listening to when Blair comes to talk to him about the Pilgrims.

The version of the song used in Wing Commander comes from a CD of production music from Ole George Music. These are CDs of stock music licensed to films for exactly this purpose. Unfortunately, we're at a loss for how to get a copy for ourselves. If anyone is familiar with either Mozart or movie production, please let us know if you can track down this music -- then we can all listen to the same music as Paladin!

--
Original update published on May 26, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, somehow this fits into 2006's craze with Mozart - it's his 250th birthday this year, in case you haven't noticed...

I must admit I never noticed 'Cosi fan tutte' playing in that scene, but I also don't have a DVD and just watched the movie three or four times.

Okay, what do I know? The opera is one of Mozarts comical works, with a story not unlike a typical college movie: Two guys bet against a third one that their girls are faithful, which - after a lot of singing - is proved to be true; but nobody cares, and they get married in the end anyway.

That out of the way, we come to the main problem: The opera has four terzettos (trios), and from the credits alone I don't know which one it is. The way OGM are listing tracks in their liner notes is no help either, and the realplayer link in album 27 (I guess that's the one) doesn't work for me. Maybe someone can grab the audio from the movie and post it, or better, not to run into trouble, guess for yourself:
eMusic has some samples of the complete opera online, so you can tune in and guess which one it is.
Here are the four trios:
La mia Dorabella capace non e
E la fede della femmine
Una bella serenata
Soave sia il vento

So, happy listening.

I was planning on watching that scene of the movie today, then listening to my recording of the opera to figure out which one it is.

The real question is, do we just want the trio in the movie, or other arias/pieces from the opera? Personally, I really like the overture.

Well, it's still kind of inconclusive--it's very difficult to hear the soundtrack in that scene because of all the talking over it, and there isn't anything that really gives it away. I'm pretty sure it's Soave sia il vento though. Should have more on this soon.

Ok--I found a cadence in the music from the scene in the movie that is very unique, and it matches one of the cadences towards the end of the trio--it's definitely Soave sia il vento. The difficulty came mostly because of the different recording--it's very difficult to hear the male voice in the movie after his entrances so the line gets lost, but I'm convinced now. I'll make an mp3 of the recording I have--where should I sent it, CIC?

Are you interested in any more of the opera or some of Mozart's other works, or just this?

Can you use whatever sound technology you might have to grab the RealAudio version from OGM's website and then convert it to an mp3? That'd be the first thing I'd want to post for am update. It's at: pnm://206.117.129.22/OGM/ra/PRE/GRE/27/17.ra

After that, it might be neat to host some other version of the whole opera, if you have that.

Sure--I'll give it a try tomorrow. Shouldn't be too much trouble with the programs I have as long as I can access the file. If you want the whole opera or parts of it or anything, that shouldn't be an issue either, but it is somewhat long and will probably be on the larger side (but based on file sizes I've seen you hosting around here, that doesn't seem like it would be a problem).

Good work, Needaham!

Just to add a bit to this, the text they're singing is very short:
Soave sia il vento,
Tranquilla sia l'onda,
Ed ogni elemento
Benigno risponda
Ai nostri/vostri desir.

Which translates into:
Gentle be the breeze,
Calm be the waves,
And every element
Smile in favour
On their wish.

The whole libretto of the opera is online here in English and Italian.

ChrisReid said:
I think ace managed to do this yesterday, so we should be good.

Ok--if you need any more from me (such as the whole opera if you are still interested in that, LOAF), just let me know and I'll take care of it.

Since Needaham is currently unable to follow up on this post and I'm the other guy involved in this (thanks for the news cameo btw), I don't want to leave it dangling somewhere.

Uploading and hosting the opera is a neat idea, but unless we find some public domain version we'd run into trouble of offering copyrighted material. Although Mozart is dead long enough, the music itself is copyrighted, and ensemble performances have their own protection.

The best thing I can do for the moment is to point toward this site with samples of all tracks. It's German, but the structure is clear and the samples are long enough to get an impression of all the tracks.

If interested, I could probably isolate the section of music in the movie as a wav or mp3 when I get home in a week or so. Tricky part is that its spread across 2 VOBS. (though I already have all the channels separated as individual WAV files on my Harddrive)

Back