Righteous Fire economy model

Just a random thought here, gang....

One of the things I found vaguely annoying in Righteous Fire was the screwed up economic model. Let me explain what I mean by that with a comparison to WC:priv.

I start at Helen, I buy luxury foods at 22cr per unit. I fly to Hector, I sell them at 45cr or 52cr per unit. I make a couple thousand profit on my trade run.

In RF:

I start at Helen, I buy luxury foods at 55cr per unit. I fly to Hector, I sell them at...50cr per unit? I LOSE money taking FOOD from an Agro base to a Mining base.

I never saw something explicit (at least, that stuck in my mind) in the game that explained why the economy was all screwed up...did you guys ever notice that?

I know the idea in the game was to butch up your ship and then go wipe out the Retros...but damn! That WAS a great way to accelerate the fortune-building (fly a couple of missions and carry a load of cargo!) and equipment-improving.

:)

I never noticed that - was it just in the Troy System (which was nerfed for new players in the original game) or was it throughout the entire sector?

I'm pretty sure it was for the entire sector...I just picked Hector and Helen, in this case, for similarity...but my experience was in Potter, where RF starts out!

It seems like it just might be varying more widely. Although grain is 8-15 in P1, the range in RF seems to be 20-55. And the nonagricultural sale price for grain ranges from 50-70 or so.

Ok...so it's more volatile..
I recall, from the bartenders and such...that people are jumping sector (this all happens right around the start of WC3, right? 2669?) and hauling butt. With wartime inflation, volatility, etc. I can see how that would work...

It just was one of those things that stuck in my mind... buying grain (or other food) somewhere for ~50cr...and then selling it at non-agricultural for a loss?!

:p

I know there was a conscious effort to close some of the 'profit holes' that people discovered in the original.

I remember another, where you could buy commodities at their lowest piece price from a single system base (think...saxtogue, where it's the base and a waypoint on the map), then fly missions and keep checking back, and le voila! Within a time or two, you'd find something closer to the high end and sell for a "profit"

I personally found that bit of gamesmanship to be fun!

Of course, it also meant you could put on unlimited ammo and invulnerable and just haul trade back and forth with your tarsus, never taking a risk, and make bucketloads of cash!

Back